Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Edit: btw I don’t think sailing a cruising boat keeps you in shape. Too much resting and sitting. If you can do it with a drink in your hand it’s not a sport.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably the rowing but after a few weeks, I lose several pounds coastal sailing. Rowing becomes an hour or two a day, pleasure . Add a couple dogs that need walking, miles a day, and I need to get home for relaxation.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Jodi says ‘no way’.... she’s not excited with heights. Will stick to running. But it’s fun to see other in their 50’s acting like they’re in their 30s!
60 is the new 30! Cindy turns 60 next month and at times I feel like keeping up with her might kill me .
At least I will die with a smile on my face :)

Aug 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40cc Little River, SC
Thanks!
Jodi says ‘no way’.... she’s not excited with heights. Will stick to running. But it’s fun to see other in their 50’s acting like they’re in their 30s!

Aug 2, 2018
Lots of exercises possible with resistance bands. It comes with a manual and there is a lot on YouTube

Edit: btw I don’t think sailing a cruising boat keeps you in shape. Too much resting and sitting. If you can do it with a drink in your hand it’s not a sport.
Hahaha, you make a good point <taking a sip of mimosa at 9:30 am>
Cara
www.thecrabbycaptainandthesunnysailor.com

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Beertrack

I've done a few beer miles-drink a beer, run 1/4 mile and repeat 3 times-because it combines two of my skill sets. It is definitely a sport, but not something I could do everyday!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
It’s probably the rowing but after a few weeks, I lose several pounds coastal sailing. Rowing becomes an hour or two a day, pleasure . Add a couple dogs that need walking, miles a day, and I need to get home for relaxation.
Might also be a change in diet- for instance I tend to snack at night when home, but not on the boat. Or maybe you eat out less. Those huge portions of rich food in restaurants are a killer (literally).

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Might also be a change in diet- for instance I tend to snack at night when home, but not on the boat. Or maybe you eat out less. Those huge portions of rich food in restaurants are a killer (literally).
This. Every year when leave the boat for 4-6 weeks to visit family, we gain 10lbs. Once back on the boat in our normal life, we lose it and easily maintain our previous weights. After several years of this, we have definitely fingered snacking and huge portions of rich food as the culprit. We aren't fitness freaks, and don't watch or limit our eating in any way, and often eat things that aren't nutritious - but when we return to the US, we are always floored by how much everyone eats. We can split meals in some restaurants and still have food left over. Some of the burritos served in Mexican restaurants are larger than frisbees. Everything is shoved full of cheese and cured meats, and everyone is grabbing boxes and bags of snacks in between meals. The TV seems to be nothing but advertisements for unhealthy food and fast food restaurants, interspersed with diet foods/drugs and weight-loss programs. I do, however, prefer these advertisements over the scheduled programming - which seems to mostly consist of people screaming at each other, the audience, and the viewers.

Most of the people we meet out cruising are of moderate weight - not skinny, but not fat - and unconcerned with diet. A common conversation after someone visits the US is disbelief on how much food people eat there and how much time they spend thinking about food.

Mark

Aug 2, 2018
This. Every year when leave the boat for 4-6 weeks to visit family, we gain 10lbs. Once back on the boat in our normal life, we lose it and easily maintain our previous weights. After several years of this, we have definitely fingered snacking and huge portions of rich food as the culprit. We aren't fitness freaks, and don't watch or limit our eating in any way, and often eat things that aren't nutritious - but when we return to the US, we are always floored by how much everyone eats. We can split meals in some restaurants and still have food left over. Some of the burritos served in Mexican restaurants are larger than frisbees. Everything is shoved full of cheese and cured meats, and everyone is grabbing boxes and bags of snacks in between meals. The TV seems to be nothing but advertisements for unhealthy food and fast food restaurants, interspersed with diet foods/drugs and weight-loss programs. I do, however, prefer these advertisements over the scheduled programming - which seems to mostly consist of people screaming at each other, the audience, and the viewers.

Most of the people we meet out cruising are of moderate weight - not skinny, but not fat - and unconcerned with diet. A common conversation after someone visits the US is disbelief on how much food people eat there and how much time they spend thinking about food.

Mark
Mark, you are right on about all of that!

Aug 2, 2018
I agree!

Aug 2, 2018
Hope your site does well. I just got these silk yoga mounts for my rings. 600lbs per mount. I still wont invert on them. Do you have to go that high normally or was that for the glamor shots.

Thinking about using another set of silk yoga mounts next time i flip boat over for painting.
At the top of my silk fabric is a Figure 8 swivel so that it allows it to turn. It is important that I climb that high because sometimes I perform drops that involve spinning and rolling downward. If I'm not high enough those tricks are dangerous. But one does not have to climb that high. In fact when you practice a movement for the first time you're doing it close to the ground. Once you master it then you climb higher.

Aug 2, 2018
There’s a form of yoga you don’t hear mentioned often: It’s the balance moves performed when changing for a shower in a dirty marina bathroom, and standing on a sandal while trying to keep your shorts and underwear from contact with the floor. Beginners lean on a wall or use the sink for a brace, advanced practitioners can do the entire process while free-standing. Penalty for failure is “going commando”. :)
Haha this made me laugh out loud!!
Thanks!

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Great stuff, @SVMusic ! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to combine my favorite exercise, trail running, with sailing.

Aug 2, 2018
Great stuff, @SVMusic ! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to combine my favorite exercise, trail running, with sailing.
Funny story: At one time, my husband wanted to somehow hook up my elliptical machine so that when I "ran" on it, it would generate power. Haha that never happened! But a fine idea

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Funny story: At one time, my husband wanted to somehow hook up my elliptical machine so that when I "ran" on it, it would generate power. Haha that never happened! But a fine idea[/QUOTE

I have seen exercise bikes that are.hooled to generators for that purpose but not an elliptical bit the principal is the same.

Sam

Jul 17, 2016
Eastward HO 31 Palm Beach
Best exercise equipment for a sailboat is the TRX. It hangs anywhere and you can do a full body exercise regime with it. Now if I can only get the energy to do it!

Aug 2, 2018
Best exercise equipment for a sailboat is the TRX. It hangs anywhere and you can do a full body exercise regime with it. Now if I can only get the energy to do it!
I hear ya, friend, i hear ya

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
At the top of my silk fabric is a Figure 8 swivel so that it allows it to turn. It is important that I climb that high because sometimes I perform drops that involve spinning and rolling downward. If I'm not high enough those tricks are dangerous. But one does not have to climb that high. In fact when you practice a movement for the first time you're doing it close to the ground. Once you master it then you climb higher.
A replacement for the bosun chair? :)