Exciting start! Wednesday Beer Can

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It's crazy how many boats will lurk in barger's corner and try and reach in right at the gun. Where you hit at 4:37?

Not excited about the sail trim at this point and going forward... anyone see it?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Lower traveller so that the boom is at the center line, tighten up the outhaul a bit. If you are going to be rail meat, get to the rail, cabin top does no good and why is everyone on the low side? Light air day? Thinking there is something glaringly obvious that I am missing.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Lower traveller so that the boom is at the center line, tighten up the outhaul a bit. If you are going to be rail meat, get to the rail, cabin top does no good and why is everyone on the low side? Light air day? Thinking there is something glaringly obvious that I am missing.
All good points. Yes, I think hooking mainsail to windward is a brake. Too much tension on the backstay for light air?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Just after somebody asked "gonna tack?" at about 13:17 the answer was "nope, nope". Right after that you caught a beautiful lift …. NICE!

Nov 8, 2010
Just after somebody asked "gonna tack?" at about 13:17 the answer was "nope, nope". Right after that you caught a beautiful lift …. NICE!
You never want to sail into a lift. You want to sail into knocks then tack. Sailing into a lift means you’ve been in a knock!

Nov 8, 2010
And the head sail is over trimmed.
OK half credit! ;-)

Yes that sail is strapped down hard. It’s in 5 gear, and you need first. Light air, going slow at the start, you need low gear with lots of lift to accelerate and get rumbling. Ease 4 inches. Will make a world of difference.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Thanks all for the comments and critiques! No, we were not hit, but we had to adjust course in order to avoid contact. I know the main is over trimmed most of the time, and the traveler is often higher than it should be. Our skipper sails it that way, and is reluctant to change. Every time I ask him to experiment and let the main out a bit we seem to lose a bit of speed off of the speed puck. so I stop fighting with him.

Our boat seems to sail best at a certain angle of heel, that's why we don't worry too much about the rail meat being on the actual rail. The skipper and I generally shift our body weight to get the heel where it seems to perform best, at least in weather like this. When the wind picks up, we're all on the rail.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks all for the comments and critiques! No, we were not hit, but we had to adjust course in order to avoid contact. I know the main is over trimmed most of the time, and the traveler is often higher than it should be. Our skipper sails it that way, and is reluctant to change. Every time I ask him to experiment and let the main out a bit we seem to lose a bit of speed off of the speed puck. so I stop fighting with him.

Our boat seems to sail best at a certain angle of heel, that's why we don't worry too much about the rail meat being on the actual rail. The skipper and I generally shift our body weight to get the heel where it seems to perform best, at least in weather like this. When the wind picks up, we're all on the rail.
I was more worried about the headsail trim. It was way too tight for light air/start/acceleration mode.
Is that a Capri 22?

Jul 5, 2005
Oh, no, it's a Ranger 26-2. If I let the headsail out any further, the tell tales wouldn't be streaming back. I am usually trimming the head sail, and the tell tales are what I trim to.

I have another question about spinnaker racing; on a downwind run, should we raise the retractable keel? We would do that in the JAM races, but seems to me it could be a bad idea for spinnaker. I don't know why really, except that spinnaker racing has always intimidated me a bit, so maybe I'm a bit cautious.

Nov 8, 2010
Oh, no, it's a Ranger 26-2. If I let the headsail out any further, the tell tales wouldn't be streaming back. I am usually trimming the head sail, and the tell tales are what I trim to.

I have another question about spinnaker racing; on a downwind run, should we raise the retractable keel? We would do that in the JAM races, but seems to me it could be a bad idea for spinnaker. I don't know why really, except that spinnaker racing has always intimidated me a bit, so maybe I'm a bit cautious.
I would definitely try and ease it an inch or two, and have the driver drive to that trim. That's normal. Practice it. The sail is over-trimmed for sure. If you can't get the tell-tails to fly, you probably have a rig/halyard tension issue.

Re upwind trimming, your model is backwards. You trim the sail, and the driver steers to it. You only job is to get all sets breaking at the same time via sheeting angle.

Regarding the keel, if your rules allow it, it will be faster for sure with it up. Less frontal area. Most PHRF rules prohibit it. Our S2 7.9 OD fleet's class rules allow it, so they always pull up their keels.

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks for the tips, JD! I'll check the club's rules on the keel. :)