Excited and eager new Catalina 22 owner!

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Hey everybody! Just want to tell you all a little about myself and why I'm here.I grew up sailing in the Fl Keys but never owned my own sailboat. I have had plenty of power boats but sailboats were usually out of my reach in terms of size, trailer ability and storage. For the past few years I have been living in Tampa and missing the ease of access to the water which they offer. The sailing bug has REALLY been crawling under my skin and I finally squeezed the trigger on a sailboat.
The boat I purchased was owned by a college in St. Petersburg Fl. It was donated to them by the previous owner who could no longer sail it. The asking price was $2500. After looking at a few other C-22's and having them sell before I had a chance to look at them I found this boat posted with no pictures and a brief almost non existent description. I figured what could hurt to go take a look. Called up a buddy of mine and we jumped in the truck and headed south. Upon arrival I noticed a big huge sticker on the bow of an eagle/american flag. Thought to myself, "great we got a hillbilly junker".
As I begin to inspect the boat I realize it's not as bad as I first thought. The keel (according to the current owner) was recently re-hung. It had decent bottom paint on her and the gel coat still had some shine peeking through. As I boarded the boat I noticed some cracking in the gelcoat in the cockpit along the seams. More further forward on the deck. I peek inside and find the cushions to all be there and in serviceable condition. The rest of the interior was intact and in great shape. After inspecting the rest of the boat the only thing that I find concerning is the forward deck and the side decks to the end of the cabin are soft. Damn! Now I'm really questioning is it worth the time and money if I can get it for the right price? Well my luck had it they were motivated sellers and they made it known. So for a boat with a solid set of sails, a nice trailer and a lot of other "good" things I offered $1500. Offer accepted! YES! I finally have a sailboat! With a budget of $3200 to buy a boat I think i'll have plenty to get that deck fixed.
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congrats and welcome!
Suggest reading several years of threads here (best C22 resource for sure), you'll be up to speed and on the water in no time...focus on the soft spots, esp at the chain plates....no stupid questions here, cept those I ask ;)!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations!! Your boat is a "New Model" C-22 made from 1986 to the early 90's and that's the first one I've seen sell for under $3000. The Catalina factory is in Largo, Fl and their company store "The Foredeck" is located at the factory as well so if you ever need parts or questions answered, you'll at least have a short drive. Did you find her at Eckerd College?

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Congratulations!! Your boat is a "New Model" C-22 made from 1986 to the early 90's and that's the first one I've seen sell for under $3000. The Catalina factory is in Largo, Fl and their company store "The Foredeck" is located at the factory as well so if you ever need parts or questions answered, you'll at least have a short drive. Did you find her at Eckerd College?
She is the one from Eckerd College!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Excellent buy. That deck will take a little work to fix but it's not that big a deal if you study up on it and take the time to do it right. Can't buy the trailer and sails for what you gave for it. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
YES! I finally have a sailboat!
And a damn fine sailboat, at that! :thumbup: Looks like a late '86 model, or '87? We have a nearly-identical '88 model. We live about 90 minutes north of you in the Ocala area, so who knows, we might run into each other eventually. I'll know you by that awesome eagle sticker. :biggrin:

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
She is the one from Eckerd College!
I thought that looked and sounded familiar. I grew up there 30 + years ago and was familiar with Eckerd College and their water rescue program after their response to the Skyway and the Blackthorne tragedies.

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Anna Maria Island
Well done. Maybe we'll meet. I live in England but spend winters on Anna Maria Island sailing my friend's 'Misty' from her berth on Bimini Bay. IMHO the C22 is the perfect boat for sailing Tampa Bay.