Evolution of the species

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Neat picture of the evolution of the Figaro short handed offshore race boat. While the length is the same, the rig has become both simpler and more powerful. Also of interest is the huge increase in hydrodynamic lift and righting moment, even while the surface area of the keel has gone down. What else do you see as changes?

E1D89F94-F942-4952-B1D8-794890C00F33.jpeg

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
saturday morning quiz, i like it. stem. sail area and keel moved aft

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It is remarkable how much smaller the keel and rudder are in terms of wetted surface while increasing efficiency.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Weight back.
Buoyancy forward.
Planing surface aft.
Full battens.
Twin rudders.
side foils.
Cockpit open aft to drain.
Traveler moving aft.

Looks like fun! I may give up multihulhs some day. Don't need them anymore to get speed.

Nov 8, 2010
saturday morning quiz, i like it. stem. sail area and keel moved aft
Good one. once boats went to non-overlapping rigs, designers figured out to maximize sail area, moving the rig back to allow the jib to almost the same size as the main (P*E/2) would be a great idea.

Nov 8, 2010
How about the spreaders? What does that tell us?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
will next saturday's be a pop quiz also or can we study during the week?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. Looks like the water line is lengthened with the reverse bow.
  2. With the mast moved back that allows for bigger Spinnakers.
  3. The position of the keel is better positioned to oppose the power in and being transferred down the mast.
  4. Interesting is that the fire sail (jib) is again over lapping.
Just a few ideas.

Nov 8, 2010
  1. Interesting is that the fire sail (jib) is again over lapping.
Good eye. The term 'non-overlapping rig' is actually a bit of a misnomer, the headsail on such rigs can usually be about a 105% (overlapping) before it hits the spreader or diagonal shrouds. For performance you go as big as you can. BlueJ has a 107% that comes to about an inch of the D1s.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Spreaders are swept back at a greater angle. It looks more like a B&R rig so... backstay may only be to bend mast. There is much greater sail area, for the main, up high. Makes a very efficient shape. Maybe it needs running backstays but maybe not. Very cool if not. Imagine all that power and no terror of the mast collapsing due to an ill timed runner trim.
I not sure the rake is increased but there is more prebend in the mast as shown.
Maximum curvature of the hull looking bow to stern is more sternward suggesting center of buoyancy for the hull is more aft. This would be consistent it's intended planing.
There's the foil of course.
Longer keel may have same or less ballast and better stability.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
are those running backstays now? Interesting I didn't know the Figaro was a single handed boat, and running backs would seem contradictory to that......well in my experience of running backstays on a different boat. But as I type, I realize I never drew that connection to a square top main before. *paradigm shift*

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I didn't see that as a stay at all. Thought it was a topping lift. With those spreaders and upper shrouds, the mast shape doesn't need back stays or a fractional rig to bend it. Don't know if that is what's going on, but i can picture it that way.
There is significantly less cockpit space with more foredeck. I assume, for the shoot.
Has anyone noticed the dagger boards? Less keel area but as much or more lateral resistance.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
The rig of the figaro 3 is hugely strong, carbon and with a wide spreader base. It would probably support the sail plan in all conditions. The runners help support it downwind but are really there to bend the mast. Runners are needed vs a single because of the fathead. They are not a big deal short handed, one more thing to do but no biggie.