Evolution of the cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My '79, #079, also had the bladder tank when I bought her. But I am certain(almost) that it originally had the aluminum tank under the shower seat. Blaise, is your bulkhead solid at the back of the starboard v-berth locker? Mine is missing and has the appearance of being cut out. There is no aluminum to be seen in that hole. But maybe there never was.

And mine also came with the Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove. I have since sold it.

Attachments

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Ed,
I have no cut out and can't get to the area under the shower seat. I gave the alcohol stove away and have had three burner propane stoves since. the first built in and the present one gimbled. I am about to have the galley re-formicaed (if that is a word) for the third time.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37C McCormick, SC
Hi Jim, My H37C is a 1980, hull VIN hun37122m80a, model 82899. I bought her from Roger Crawford, and have been fixing her up since. Traded up from a H30, and sailed her for the first time last summer. Had planned to a lengthy journey, but broke my hand on the wednesday evening race. Yonder's cockpit has a Teleflex pedastal, with two Signet instrument pods, bilge pump to port, a opening porthole to aft bunk under port lazerette. The traveler and engine panel below bridgedeck. The coamings are parallel to the deck, with Lewmar 42st winches atop teak panels. Ladder is all stainless. The cabintop has Lewmar 16st's, but may not be oem since the bolt holes were not sealed and rotted the core. Two small hatches over the galley, and aft cabin. Portals are 3 large, two small, all opening. The alchohol stove I replaced with propane. Salon shelves had 2 louvered covers, the rest was left open. The head throughhull pumped out to starboard. The 3QM30 Yanmar is original. The Adler Barbour cold machine is air cooled. There is a Harken roller furling, and Kenyon rigging. I have pictures, where would you like them sent?

Jun 2, 2004
So we find #122! Good to have you aboard Tom. Your 1980 should have originally been identical to my 1979 except for the engine, my 2QM and your 3QM. Two of your features that are not, I think, original would be the A/B refer and the Harken furler. But possibly they were options in 1980. Two other differences I see are cabin winches and louvered doors. I have one winch on the roof to port, originally for the mainsheet. And the two small forward cabinets on both sides of my salon have the doors.

I am curious about the interior teak finish. I have been on H37Cs that had a darker oiled finish where mine is varnish. Was that an owner thing or a factory thing?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Hi tcbilgerat (great handle :),

Thanks for the info - I have included it in the unofficial H37Cutter database that I seem to presently be the keeper of...

I've been a bit busy with that four letter word lately (w**k), but it is still my intention to finish writing a short history of the H37 cutter (I have a rough draft) and also include all the data I have gathered. As to maintaining a "lliving database" of H37 cutters and their owners, well I guess that is larglely done by this forum and the Owner Directory. It really is amazing how we can all get together online here FOR FREE! Thanks Phil and the gang at SailboatOwners.com...don't forget to patronize the chandlery!

BTW, why not upload some photos as a photo gallery here on HOW so we can all have a look?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hi Guys,
I wanted to include my full HIN for the database. HUN37042M79E37.

Jun 2, 2004
Hi Blaise, Jim will see your HIN and add it to the document I hope. Meanwhile I wonder if you can comment on my previous post above, #44? Does your interior have that look? Most 37-cutters I have been aboard have a darker oil finish. So I am curious if mine has been changed or was it standard in 1979. And since you are an original owner I know you have the answer.

Where again are you in Ohio? And for how long?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Ed,
My boat came from the factory with an un-finished teak interior. It is almost dark red now from years of oil. I also have strips of the veneer gone from when a ex-wife tried to velcro pictures to the bulkhead. I re did the cabin sole twenty years ago with teak parque (sp?) tile. It has held up quite well considering how hard I race the boat.

I am in Columbus for the next five years, on and off. I will be here until April 1, when I will go back to get the boat ready for the Mexico race. I hope to return with the boat intact this time. I don't think you sail in the winter, but would like to get together if possible. Phone is 941.518.8815.

Status
Not open for further replies.