Evolution of the cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
As I was looking at some of the photos posted here, it got me to thinking: what are all the changes that Hunter made during the production run of the H37C? My boat is hull # 308, manufactured in 1983. Sometime during 1982 and 1983 Hunter changed the deck mold which resulted in differences - some subtle, some not. I wonder what other factory original differences there are in our boats? I'll start the ball rolling by documenting the ones I know of and guessing at the timeline (feel free to jump in and enlighten me, all you veteran H37C sailors!):

Traveller in cockpit / traveller on cabin top - 1982/83 deck mold change
Different cockpit coambings - 1982/83 deck mold change
Type of cockpit trim under winches - 1982/83 deck mold change
Hinged teak step at top of transom ladder - - 1982/83 deck mold change
SS rail over dorade vents & deck box - 1982/83 deck mold change
3 large ports & 2 small ports per side / 2 large & 3 small(1982/83?) / 2 small & large trapezoid fixed ports - (1983/84?)
Pulpit / pushpit differences?
Winch differences?
Type of furler? Hood / CDI /other? (years?)
Shoal / Full draft (I think this option was avilable throughout production?)
Edson / Merriman pedestal (years?)
Yanmar 2QM20 / 3QM30 / Westerbeke / other 4 cyl? (years?)
Alcohol / kerosene stoves (years?)
Main cabin locker trim - louver doors / plexiglass (1984?)

If everyone out there can help fill in the blanks, maybe I can make up a table of the changes and put it on the site. Thanks for your help!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Jim, I have a "79 Hull #36. It is Shoal Draft. My traveler is in the cockpit. Boat came to me with it's 3rd Westerbeke in it this one a 35D. harken cruising R/F. No ss rail over dorades 3 large, 2 small ports. Lewmar 42 winches, no hinged teak step at top of boarding ladder. Can't help with the other mods unless you have pictures

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
My 79 came with hyde stream stay roller furling, edson steering, and lewmar 42st's. I now have lewmar 46 st's for primaries and lewmar 40 sts for secondaries. traveler was changed twenty years ago to a harkin, still on the bridge deck. My hull number is 42 and I am the original owner.
Blaise

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Funny that you should undertake that Jim. I started to do that in a Word document some time ago and never finished. My '79 is hull # 074. I don't think Bill's '79 is very representative because Chet P. made so many mods. Does anyone know for sure, was a Westerbeke ever standard in a '79? I think the '80s were mostly the same. Seems like the '78s had some differences. Here is what I had so far:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"During the twelve years that I have owned my 1979 H37-cutter we have compared notes about the differences from model year to model year. I am thinking that we could document those differences along with the year of the change. Every year is represented in the ‘Owner’s Directory’, even an ’85. So I can begin by listing features of the 1979. I can add comments about differences I know about from “talking” with you folks since 1998. And I have been on a few boats of later models.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cockpit[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: the ’79 has the engine panel on the face of the bridgedeck and the traveler running across the width of the traveler. Left of the helm is the manual bilge pump. Right of the helm is a recessed pocket. There are two Signet instruments to port of the companionway. There is no portlight to starboard but there is one under the port locker lid. The coaming is level to the cabin. I mention this because in some year it swept up and I think across the cabin where a dodger would fit. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cabin exterior[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: the ’79 has all opening portlights, per side there are three 7x15s and two 5x12s. There is a traveler in front of the mast and two dorades. There is no stainless guard nor winch handle box. I think all the boats had the same hatch layout, two over the salon and one over the v-berth.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Rigging[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: the ’79 has a solid rod Hyde Streamstay furler. Standing rigging is ¼” on the shrouds mid-stay and the backstay is 9/32”. The spars are Kenyon. The original mainsheet went from the cockpit forward under the boom then down and back to a winch and cleat on the port side of the companionway. The staysail sheet went forward under the boom then down and over to the starboard toerail. From there back to the cockpit along the toerail. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cabin interior:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] one major difference was in the head plumbing. The '79 has everything on starboard. The holding tank was under the shower seat on all years I think. My whale pump, Y-valve, and thru-hull were in the starboard v-berth locker. The galley stove was a Kenyon pressurized kerosene oven and range on gimbals."[/FONT]

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks...need other years too

Thanks to Ed, Blaise and Bill for all the info on the 1979s. I had no idea that some boats didn't have the port light on the stbd side of the cabin bulkhead or that the engine panel was mounted on the bridge deck. I also hadn't though about the head plumbing. My thruhull for the head was in the port locker under the v-berth, unlike the 79's that had it in the starboard locker. (I never understood why the hoses ran all the way over to port. I removed them and the thru hull and glassed over the opening.) ANYWAY, it would be great to hear from some owners of boats built in the 1980s. I would really like to nail down when the deck mold changed. The cabin windows/portlights change was probably sometime in late 83 or early 84, but the different cockpit coamings, etc. were pre-1983 ... but when? Thanks for your help guys.

Jun 2, 2004
Once this all gets wrung out what is next Jim? Can we come up with a concise format, maybe with pictures, and put it in "Hunter Owners Mods"? Or did you have some other idea? For now I will "Subscribe" so that I can follow.

Jun 8, 2004
Ed,

Ideally I would like to hear from owners from each of the model's production years. Right now I am just tabulating the info in a spreadsheet. I guess it would be really good to write a short "history" of the cutter (a page or two) with photos illustrating the changes. Then it could go on the site under "Boat Info". The tough thing is to distinguish between factory and PO changes - that's whay its great to hear from some of the veteran owners. I wonder how may others beside Blaise are the original owners?

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Thanks for taking this on, Jim. My vessel is an 81. I am third owner so will try to gi ve you what I believe is original.

portlights same as 79
engine panel below bridgedeck
pump and portlight to port in cockpit
traveller on bridgedeck
CDI furler (unless streamstay also had that strange tensioning handle)
teak louvered interior doors
Barient winches, #23 for primaries. I believe these were not self-tailing as there were cleats mounted on the teak combings just aft of them. ST must have been an option. I took the cleats off.
3QM20 original. I installed a Nanni 3.30
Alcohol stove - I found the receipts and work order for switching over to kerosene
same hatches as Ed mentioned plus small ones over galley and quarter berth
head to stbd, pumpout and discharge to port - STUPID!!!!! in my estimate. What were they thinking? Must have been a reason.
Edson steering
no teak transom step
cockpit combings as per 79
deep draft. which isn't very deep
Kenyon rigging as per everyone else

Hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2004
So the '79 and '81 used Edson but the '80 has a Yacht Specialties pedestal? Bill, is "3QM20" a typo? I am surprised that the '81 is so similar. Really just the furler and head plumbing I think. The '79 also has the small hatches over galley and q-berth.

Jun 8, 2004
So the '79 and '81 used Edson but the '80 has a Yacht Specialties pedestal? Bill, is "3QM20" a typo? I am surprised that the '81 is so similar. Really just the furler and head plumbing I think. The '79 also has the small hatches over galley and q-berth.
Ed, I think the most obvious changes came from the deck mold redesign. The cockpit coambings, the cockpit winch mounting/storage pockets and the engine panel location, the hinged teak step on the stern, the location and number of 7 x 14 ports, the cabin top traveller, and the storage box between the dorades all stem from the deck mold change. I would love to know at what hull number the deck changed. If only there was someone at Hunter who was interested in these old Cherubinis...

I suspect a lot of equipment changes had to do with supply lines. Pedestals, winches and roller furlers changed depending on price and availability. Other changes, like which side the head pumpout is located, occured for reasons lost in the mists of time.

This research is interesting, but I need to hear from some 1980, 1982, 1984 & 85 owners. Thanks guys!

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
I will jump in and talk about my old 1984 37c.
Not all is as percieved.
My 84 has fixed plexiglass windows in the salon, the newer deck with midboom sheeting on the cabin top. instrument pannel left of the wheel. like described above. but there were some pretty nice differences that were ordered with the boat that made it a bit different.
I had cdi Roller furlers on both of the fore sails. For that to work it had to have the staysail boom installed on a pedistal just behind the stay. this made it possible to mount the boom there and let the furler turn. So the staysail sheet ran down to a track on a molded spot on the deck. She cam with stainless rails over the dorade boxes and over the staysail track to prevent fouling lines. the sheet had to run from the sail to the end of the boom and back forward to the base of the pedistal, then aft to the cockpit. All halyards were run aft to the cockpit thru cutouts in the raised part of the deck to rope clutches. Winches on either side of the companion way made it really nice. There were small hatches on each side of the companionway. one from the galley and one from the aft cabin.

the aft cabin had a opening to the cocpit area under the front of the seat.
Steering was merriman. water heater was mounted center line behine the engine.

Mine had a great running 4JHE Yanmar with 40 H.P. The engine was awsome in the boat burnt little fuel and never worked hard. I have towed a 36 footer on one corner and two j-24s on the other for twenty five or so miles and never missed a beat.

battery area sucked with what i think was a two level arrangement later put one in the bildge. Big bildge in the deep keel model.

In side the forward door arrangement is also different that earlier boats. the head has a door that opens forward. it doubles as a door to close off the v birth area.
on the port side in the forward cabin was the waste thru hull with hoses running under the floor to the starboard holding tank.
Also the model i had came with a hanging locker to port in the forward cabin, with no door. and a shelf area about it. about 5 feet high.
in the main salon the shelves outboard had sliding plexaglass not wood doors or unfinished openings.

She came with an alcohol stove 3 burner with oven. big pressure tank on the locker forward of the stove in the countertop.
the area behind the stove had a split opening door that came down over the stove to access built in dish racks and cup racks.
a port was installed in the over the counter that opened to the cocpit.
The v-bunk was shaped a bit different where the drop in goes. early ones sat differently. the cushion had a ply back built in that fit in a drop in recess in the face of the v bunk.

She came from the factory with 7 self tailing winches, two roller furlers, lazy jacks, Adler barber super cold machine, with water cooling, water heater, sailing instruments, wind speed and angle, depth.
That pretty well sums up how it was delivered. i think the hull number was 350.

Jun 8, 2004
Wowsers! That was a real "custom" 37 -cutter Ed. I had no idea that owners could order so many custom changes to a new boat. Kind of puts the old Hunter company in a different light - most folks think of Morris or Hinckley as the kind of go-to companies for that level of customization. From comparing your '84 to my '83 and another '84, I would guess the from-the-factory differences are:

Roller furling staysail with pedestal boom
Halyards led aft to cockpit
Lazy jacks
Merriman steering
Extra/upgraded winches
3 burner stove
AB Super Cold Machine
4JHE Yanmar (I think some other 84s had this option)

Thanks for sharing all that info with us Ed A. - I bet you wish you still had her!

Jun 2, 2004
Well he should be able to make the comparisons since Ed S.'s 1979 Ladylove is resting in Ed A.'s slip. I have sailed on his '84 and can attest to those differences. BUT I did not know those features were from the factory. The thing I remember most is the depth of the bilge on his fin keel boat compared to my shoal draft, cavernous!

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
mine was a purchased as the top of the line boat, all that came from the factory.
I am missing her allright. maybe ill be able to get another one day.

Jun 8, 2004
Re: Evolution of the cutter - mining HIN data

I have been searching the H37C Owners Directory for data. Of the 196 owners listed, about 50 provided HINs or hull number and year data. There are a few glitches since, for example, Ed S. and Ladylove doesn't appear there (I suspect some links and data were lost when HOW migrated to the new format). Anyway, when I put all the HINs in a spreadsheet and sorted hull #, model year and month built, some interesting stuff shook out. Turns out my boat is very close to the change in deck mold. Hulls 305 & 306 were 1982 models, made in April (1982? - remember that the model year doesn't always correspond to the build year) and my hull - #308 - was built in August (again I assume 1982). Three months is a long time to only produce one boat - presumably hull #307. I think that the factory may have been retooling the deck mold in that time frame. #307 is not in the database, but it was either the last 1982 model or the first 1983 model. Cool!

Jun 8, 2004
Re: Evolution of the cutter - owner directory

Ed, I guess it just depends on how you use the site. When I go to the pull down for Boat Info, Hunter Boat Info, and select 37-Cutter, Directory of Owners (196)...you are not there! Of course I know you are on the site and I can and did find you under the pull down for Owner Directory, which lists all the owners on HOW - weird huh?

Anyway, here is the data I assembled - kinda interesting.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
I did this very thing many years ago Jim. Might still have it at home on my desktop. At the time there were well over 200 entries. I never used the "Boat Info" for owners, always "Owner Directory". I found some more under "Boat Info" though, under "37". But not my own. I recognize them but did not cross-reference with "Owner Directory".

I think that you are missing a fair number of boats. Here are two more not found earlier in either place: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/memb. Whoops, that link is no good. Anyway I used 'cutter 37' under 'Owner Directory' and there were Mathurin2 and SailH37, wouldn't want to miss those guys. And I only get about 60 or so entries on your PDF.

Jun 8, 2004
Re: Evolution of the cutter - HIN Database

Thanks for pointing out the omissions Ed. I should point out that I only included boats where owners provided HIN or year and hull number (from which it is possible to extrapolate a partial HIN). Of the 196 or so H37C owner entries I looked at (took a few hours!) about 25% of owners chose to include this info. Mathurin, for example, included his model year but not his hull#. I am interested in compiling a list of hulls with a chronology of when they were built. I some cases I was able to figure out what month a hull was built even without HIN - ie where hulls 70 & 74 were built in March, its not hard to say that hull 73 was also built in March. Some other typos were corrected making the same sort of assumptions.

Meantime, if any H37C owners reading this want thier hulls included in the database, they can reply to this thread or email me through the HOW Owners Directory. It would be really valuable to know the HIN of the 1st and last H37C built. I don't know if Hunter is ready to support any research into the history of these old boats, but maybe I'll contact them. And thanks for all your help Ed S and the others who have replied to this thread - you guys are a font of information! Stay tuned for a rough draft of the model history - I'll put it out for comment...

Status
Not open for further replies.