Erie Canal

Jan 15, 2019
Hunter 50 Boston, Massachusetts
Has anyone cruised the Erie canal? I have a 50 CC Hunter. I'm concerned with the depth at two locks in particular that have shallow drafts. I'd like to enter off the Hudson at Troy, N.Y., with a west heading, then onto the Oswego, then into Lake Ontario.

Jan 15, 2019
Hunter 50 Boston, Massachusetts
Thank you DayDreamer41. I have that web site as I do charts and other stats. I was wondering if anyone had recent experiences, during the seasons and such when the canal was open. I've been told that sometimes the shallows are lower
than posted, and depending on other factors like runoffs, flood control and such, things. I have no real concerns about clearances.
My 50 is not new and she's been subject to a bit more bottom bruising than I'd like, when I got her. So, I'm more than just a little nervous about the trip.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Understand your concerns, as it appears that the Oswego canal does have some rather shallow spots in it. I to have a desire to travel this route, but from the top of Lake Erie avoiding the Welland canal. I would imagine in the spring the water depths would change allowing for a bit more clearance. Our Sapphire is shoal drafted drawing only 5'.