Epic Fail

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@rgranger most guys in the rail making business can straighten the bimini tubes. But you may find new ones are nearly as cheap.

Be sure to inspect the furler extensions. They can get kinked in this type of accident and stop your sail raising.

We’re all here for you. Best wishes.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Agreed. That was the weak point. (though it seems likely that it saved the rig from more severe damage)
@Jackdaw initial comment got me wondering, so I went and inspected the toggle on my CDI furler.
Yea that's what I wanted to see a picture of. I'm assuming it was at near-failure condition before this happened.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My only mishap with things from above trailer sailing was in my C22 with then GF now bride of 34 yrs was in Anacortes Wa.
We rigged then slept on the hard over nite. The next morning we fed $5 worth of quarters into the “gate “ to let us onto the ramp. All went fine till my transom cleared the gate and the bar came rushing down and bent the living daylights out of the OB bracket. I had to manhandle the gate over the OB while Trish drove forward. I use a crescent wrench and hammer to get the lift some what operational ~30 minutes and didn’t care that I was hogging the ramp.

Les

Nov 8, 2010
It looks like it was not pinned correctly, and the force pulled it open. Does the hole on the other side look OK?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Joe at the SBO store found a speeder bracket, an end piece for my boom a new turn buckle and toggle and the SS guard for my CDI furler. Including shipping I’m well under $300 for the repair.

Joe saved my summer! Thanks Joe & SBO.

When I stepped out of my truck and saw what had happened, I honestly thought my boat was totaled.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm really glad that worked out as well as it did. It must have been sickening to think you totaled your boat not to mention losing that valuable family time.

Jan 19, 2010
I'm really glad that worked out as well as it did. It must have been sickening to think you totaled your boat not to mention losing that valuable family time.
Yes
There were tears and cursing

Oct 22, 2014
@rgranger a big part of the planned event was that both of you wanted the experience. Sure the boat was trashed, but you can still share moments as neither of you were hurt. You just need a new tradition. One that is unique for the two of you.
You can always do a boat adventure.

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Joe at the SBO store found a speeder bracket, an end piece for my boom a new turn buckle and toggle and the SS guard for my CDI furler. Including shipping I’m well under $300 for the repair.

Joe saved my summer! Thanks Joe & SBO.

When I stepped out of my truck and saw what had happened, I honestly thought my boat was totaled.
Pretty sad to think that such a small mishap can total a boat. Really makes me put even more thought into something as routine as my launch and retrieve procedure. There are so few sailboats that launch and retrieve where I’m at, most of the way down the ramp I look up at the trees not down at the road (and I take out a branch or two every time) and I have to swing my truck off the pavement and into the dirt just to clear the mast head. I’m glad it was a relatively easy fix

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
It looks like it was not pinned correctly, and the force pulled it open. Does the hole on the other side look OK?
With you here Jack. rgranger what type of pin were you using? Maybe a quick release which many people use or a bolt or a clevis that was 1/2" too long. rgranger you've come this far let us know about the pin. I know something had to give but a headstay scares me especially on a fractional rig where the mast should have bent first.

Happy it was only $300 for the boat, (and no high voltage) college is expensive enough. Thanks for the boat ramp education and Good Luck to your daughter in her higher education.

Nov 8, 2010
Pretty sad to think that such a small mishap can total a boat. Really makes me put even more thought into something as routine as my launch and retrieve procedure. There are so few sailboats that launch and retrieve where I’m at, most of the way down the ramp I look up at the trees not down at the road (and I take out a branch or two every time) and I have to swing my truck off the pavement and into the dirt just to clear the mast head. I’m glad it was a relatively easy fix
An economic really for lots of older boats. While they can easily be 'repaired', an insurance company will consider it a loss if the repair crosses a predetermined percentage of current or agreed value. A submerged diesel on an Oday 28 or a broken stick on a Hunter 23 and you're done, as far as your insurance is concerned .

Jan 19, 2010
With you here Jack. rgranger what type of pin were you using? Maybe a quick release which many people use or a bolt or a clevis that was 1/2" too long. rgranger you've come this far let us know about the pin. I know something had to give but a headstay scares me especially on a fractional rig where the mast should have bent first.

Happy it was only $300 for the boat, (and no high voltage) college is expensive enough. Thanks for the boat ramp education and Good Luck to your daughter in her higher education.
It was a clevis pin. Possibly too long. I can’t check. The pin is probably sitting in the gravel at the launch site.

I found some pictures online to show how the mast was pinned to the bow. The mast was pinned to the U-bolt at the bow using one of these adjuster (see pic)
B2173757-2CB8-4CA0-8D1C-DA5BD0971A7D.png

It looked similar to this pic

FC333F10-1F8F-4B5E-AF61-39A919D3A608.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
It was a clevis pin. Possibly too long. I can’t check. The pin is probably sitting in the gravel at the launch site.

I found some pictures online to show how the mast was pinned to the bow. The mast was pinned to the U-bolt at the bow using one of these adjuster (see pic)
OK. The bent toggle was pinned to the two plates that attached to the bow ring. Gotcha. That toggle will lift your boat out of the water if pinned correctly. Open however, it will straighten up rather quickly as you found out. Strangely, it probably saved your mast!

Jan 19, 2010
I recently replaced the turnbuckles and toggles on the shrouds. And with this repair I will have new turnbuckles and toggles on all of the standing rigging. I’m thinking I should replace all pins while I’m at it.

Oct 22, 2014
Do it once while your thinking about it. is my motto...
Then I digress and start on something else and later a strange feeling comes over me...
Wasn't there something I was going to do....
What was it... Never mind where is the :beer:. It will come to me or it won't..... Sometimers.