Epic Fail (Recovery)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey All

Some of you were kind enough to console me when I dropped my mast after hitting a power line

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/epic-fail.191880/

Well today I fixed all of the broken stuff. I got the parts I needed right here at SBO. Here are some pics of the recovery. First the boom. I cut off about an inch where the boom was damaged at the gooseneck. I had about 2" of extra boom length to spare.
gooseneck-boom-end.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0894.jpg

Then I removed the sheeves and cam clamps from the old damaged boom cap and put them in the new cap. Then time for rivets.
IMG_0899.jpg
IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg

Now it was time to work on the mast. When the spreader bracket on the mast broke, the rivets were not torn out. So I first had to drill out the old rivets, move the spreader to the new bracket and then rivet the new bracket in place.

spreader-starboard.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg

I also had to repair the guard for my furler. However I order the wrong size. So I decided to reshape the original using a 7/8 bolt as a punch and a mallet.

IMG_0916.jpg

roller guides old&new.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Every thing seems fixed. So I guess tomorrow I'll go sailing.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Way to go!! Amazing that you were able to get all the parts so quickly. SBO Støre definitely came thru!
Have a great sail. Hopefully you & the daughter can reschedule the trip soon.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A great big congratulations to you. Work looks great. Trust the furler moves smoothly in its new gently mangled case.

May your sail be in fair winds and fun seas. Hoping you can schedule the father/daughter event and share pictures.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is great. So, when is your next day on the water with your daughter? That is really what's important here.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
It has been a long time since I posted on this thread and a lot has happened since then. I took a job in Alabama and moved my boat to Martin Lake. During the repair of my mast and furling system, I also took the opportunity to replace all of my turn buckles and I mounted a brand new genoa to my furling system. When I stepped the mast for the first time, the roller furler pin was about 3 inches from the chain plate. I added some spacers to get it connected and then stepped back and took a long look at my rig. My mast was raked back A LOT. It looked cool but I was certain it was not a good idea to leave it that way. I had to loosen my shroud turn buckles to let the mast move forward before I could get the forestay into the chainplate. Everything seems tight now and she sails fast so.... as an update... my boat is now in the water at Martin Lake AL, she looks great and I have two new sails and a new Tohatsu sailpro 6 hp on my boat ... (anyone looking for a Honda 9.9?)

If you are passing near Montgomery or Auburn AL drop me a line and I'll take you for a sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Granger, do I see THREE batteries right under your bench where you can drop wrenches and stuff on them? ZAP !

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh sure he has. He’s read them 3 times at least. They do a good job of raising the battery so when he lifts it he does not hurt his back. They are sort of a medical device.