Enhancing Alternator Charging

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
In Dec's Sail Magazine Nigel Calder has an article "Charged Up" which discussed "Low-cost options for enhancing battery performance" by using devices to enhance the standard automotive alternator by inserting a DC-DC converter between the alternator and the batteries. This allows the voltages on both sides of the device to be manipulated independently. The battery voltage in a multi-step charging scheme and the alternator driven to high levels of output without overstressing it using "temperature sensors and response mechanisms".
The device mentioned by Calder, as an alternative to a smart regulator and/or a more powerful expensive alternator, is the Pro Alt-C.

The Pro Alt-C is around $280, so low cost is relative.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
OK, is there an opinion in here anywhere?
For the record your regulator (smart) does this already. Battery internal resistance determines the amount of current it will take so.........use the regulator to max out the acceptable voltage (14.6) and get an alternator that can support that current for the limited time the bank can accept it (Ah capacity determines this).
Note that a DC2DC converter does not increase the amount of energy that is moving through the wires. 12 volts at 10 amps is the same as 10 volts at 12 amps etc.

Jun 28, 2005
Bill, no opinion only looking for discussion, as mentioned in;
"Musings Regarding External Regulation", a standard auto style alternator may not be capable of 14.6 volts if it is self limiting as my Hitachi is with its built in temperature sensor, and I quote;
"Hitachi & many other automotive alternators with dumb regulators, limit voltage but also reduce voltage based on alternator temperature. This is a self protective feature installed in the internal dumb regulator to prevent the alternator from cooking itself. In cars it is usefully "safe", due to super high engine bay temps, but on boats temp sensing should be done directly at the battery not inside the alternator. If you want to protect the alternator then reducing the field, not the regulated output voltage, is the proper method with a deep cycling bank. Remember voltage is the pressure that allows more current to flow. So, if we reduce the absorption voltage, then we also reduce the current the alternator is supplying. This is good for the alternator, it gets the manufacturer through the warranty period, but it is horrible for your deep cycle batteries. The battery simply will not accept the same current at 13.4V that it did at 14.4V. As a result the alternator will run cooler but the battery will charge at a snails pace. What do you suppose this does to your batteries over time.......?"
A standard smart regulator cannot overcome this lower voltage.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
A standard smart regulator cannot overcome this lower voltage.
It appears that it is possibler thst you may be missing the entire point of Maine Sail's discussion about Hitachi alternators. They are self-limiting because of the built in temperature sensor in the alternator.

His solution is to replace the Hitachi alternator. That comes at the end of the long rant, IIRC. :)

Always has been.

If you have the standard 55A Hitachi with a 400 ah house bank, it won't help to try to keep the alternator.

Jun 28, 2005
@Bill
Basically my 250w solar panel does a fine job at charging batteries, I haven't used the engine to charge batteries in over two years, when I run it for propulsion, the 60a alternator, of course, adds to the charge. We cruise in season for typically a week or so at a time. We have spent days on a mooring or at anchor without running the engine. I run my Honda 2000 for an hour to make hot water. If I needed a more efficient engine driven charging system for my 330ah bank I would follow Nigel's advice and add a Pro-C, rather than add a heavy duty alternator, it would be more cost effective than a $1500 alternator upgrade. Maine Sail essentially said the same thing in his post. The Pro Alt-C would overcome the only deficiency of my alternator, i.e. reduced voltage due to temperature limiting.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In Dec's Sail Magazine Nigel Calder has an article "Charged Up" which discussed "Low-cost options for enhancing battery performance" by using devices to enhance the standard automotive alternator by inserting a DC-DC converter between the alternator and the batteries. This allows the voltages on both sides of the device to be manipulated independently. The battery voltage in a multi-step charging scheme and the alternator driven to high levels of output without overstressing it using "temperature sensors and response mechanisms".
The device mentioned by Calder, as an alternative to a smart regulator and/or a more powerful expensive alternator, is the Pro Alt-C.
The Pro Alt C can certainly work however it would not be my first choice, and I am a stocking Sterling dealer. While it can make a factory alt deliver a better voltage profile to the battery it is still taxing a small alternator and really must use the temp sensor.

Unfortunately the unit does not use adaptive temp sensing like a Balmar external regulator can, it simply can't. When the alt heats up, and it will, the Pro Alt C shuts off the "boost" feature and you now go back to the factory alts output. The problem now is that the factory alternators output is being additionally fed through the Pro Alt C's diodes so you get even worse performance than the stock factory alt when boost mode is off. In contrast the Balmar regulators use Balmar's proprietary adaptive alternator temp sensing which lowers output in 5% increments and also increases in 5% increments thus finding the absolute sweet spot for your engine space and alternator to run at. This is the absolute best method to optimize a factory alternators output and only the Balmar regulators have adaptive alternator temp sensing.

Any reputable alternator shop can tap into the alternator brushes for a reasonable fee and then you have a real external regulator that can actually do a real float stage.

The ProAlt C can really only do a modified "quasi float" because it simply uses a diode in the output path so when it drops to float the voltage drop across the diode simulates a float condition. With a stock internal regulator that is set high, many Delco's, Motorolla's, some Hitachi's and Paris Rhone's etc. this is really not a true float. Course when not in boost, to let the alt cool off, this essentially further inhibits the factory alts charging performance in boost off mode. With many stock factory alts a the unit can sometimes spend more time in non-boost than in boost.

Alternatively the Sterling Pro Reg D is a true external regulator and it runs less than $200.00. However the big problem is that it does temp cuts in this fashion:

Off at: 194F > On at 149F
or
100%>0%>100%>0%>100%>0%100%>0%

194F is nothing for a Hitachi case alt feeding a large bank in a typical sailboat engine room. I even have a few Pro Reg D's on clearance, at $166.00, but I am honest about how they work. So far they still sit there...

The only situation where I would use a Pro Alt C would be on an engine where the alt is tied to the engines ECU and an aftermarket reg won't communicate with it. Fortunately, at this point in time in the marine market, these are rather limited instances.

From where I sit, if you want to tweak your factory alt and get better performance, not much can beat the Balmar ARS-5 or the MC-614. The feature set, custom programming, amperage limiting, custom programming & adaptive alternator temp sensing etc. are all a huge upgrade and well worth the extra money beyond what a Pro Reg D can do.

A previously forum post cited the "Arduino based Alternator Regulator" which seems similar in concept.
The Pro Alt-C is around $380, so low cost is relative.
Al's regulator is in a conceptual ever morphing stage and is not what I would consider "prime time" ready for the average boater.. It's really not something for the average DIY at this point in time. Balmar was moving towards current based transitions but the liability I suspect scared them off and they pulled the plug on the project. Shunts are one of the number one mis-wired devices on boats and to do current based transitions then you need shunts or current sensors and they must be wired correctly..

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
Maine-
When you state above that "shunts are the most mis-wired devices onboard" what do you mean? Is it a question of wiring in the positive side versus the negative side, or something else?
Thanks.
Rodd

Feb 6, 1998
Reversed sense wires and "sneaker wires" by-passing the shunt are chronic... If I had to shoot from the hip I would say that at least 60% of the shunts I come across are wired incorrectly. If you were to wire a shunt incorrectly, that was intended to dictate a charge transition, you can wind up with a thermal run away situation, battery explosion or just cooked batteries.

If I had a dime for every email I get that says:

"My XXXX battery monitor is defective it is not showing my XXX" (solar, alternator, battery charger, inverter, fridge, Espar, wind generator etc. etc.)

I'd be retired by now...

Jun 28, 2005
The Pro Alt C can certainly work however it would not be my first choice, and I am a stocking Sterling dealer. While it can make a factory alt deliver a better voltage profile to the battery it is still taxing a small alternator and really must use the temp sensor.
Unfortunately the unit does not use adaptive temp sensing like a Balmar external regulator can, it simply can't. When the alt heats up, and it will, the Pro Alt C shuts off the "boost" feature and you now go back to the factory alts output.
I am confused by your response, after rereading Nigel's article and your "Musing Regarding External Regulation" my understanding of the ProAlt-C is that it as a DC-DC converter independently adjusts the voltage to the battery independent of the alternator voltage, which over comes the deficiency of the "super dumb" alternators which "can drop to 13.4 volts when hot" and therefore allows correct Bulk charging to occur, followed by correct Absorption charging. The ProAlt-C does not control the alternator at all, but accepts whatever voltage it puts out and generates the proper battery voltage independently. Additionally it can do this simultaneously on a starting battery.
The ProAlt C can really only do a modified "quasi float" because it simply uses a diode in the output path so when it drops to float the voltage drop across the diode simulates a float condition. With a stock internal regulator that is set high, many Delco's, Motorolla's, some Hitachi's and Paris Rhone's etc. this is really not a true float. Course when not in boost, to let the alt cool off, this essentially further inhibits the factory alts charging performance in boost off mode. With many stock factory alts a the unit can sometimes spend more time in non-boost than in boost.
My second confusion arose with your critique of the ProAlt-C's float behavior when you previously said "Is Float Necessary On Sailboats? In my opinion, mostly no." In any case why would the ProAlt-C stop functioning as a dc-dc converter regulating the battery voltage during float? Wouldn't it continue as long as the alternator voltage minus a diode drop was less than the desired battery voltage?
At $280 (Defender) and requiring no modification of an alternator, it seems a cost effective improvement for standard alternator systems. Increasing alternator capacity only speeds up the charging process. I suggest anyone interested, read Nigel Calder's article in Sail magazine. It is bang for bucks trade off.

Feb 6, 1998
I am confused by your response, after rereading Nigel's article and your "Musing Regarding External Regulation" my understanding of the ProAlt-C is that it as a DC-DC converter independently adjusts the voltage to the battery independent of the alternator voltage, which over comes the deficiency of the "super dumb" alternators which "can drop to 13.4 volts when hot" and therefore allows correct Bulk charging to occur, followed by correct Absorption charging. The ProAlt-C does not control the alternator at all, but accepts whatever voltage it puts out and generates the proper battery voltage independently. Additionally it can do this simultaneously on a starting battery.
In order to derive the max output from the stock alternator the PAC has to pull the voltage of the alt down, below its limiting voltage, to approx 13.3V-13.4V, thus forcing the factory alternator into bulk charging or its maximum output. So yes the PAC does control the alternator by pulling the voltage down and tricking it into full output.

The PAC can absolutely do this but the factory alt will get quite hot during bulk charging. When the alt gets hot PAC's temp sensor then signals the PAC to stop boosting. This occurs at approx 200F - 212F. When the alt cools off it resumes the boosting until it heats up again and repeats.... In the real word, during bulk and early absorption, it's very often a boost>off>boost>off >boost>off scenario, especially with the small stock alts typical on older boats.

Once the bank finally gets to absorption voltage the alt will then catch a break and the PAC can really do its job and not have to do the boost>off>boost>off to protect the alt.. On many boats, when charging from 50% SOC, bulk can be well in excess of an hour, even at a .2C charge rate or 20% of Ah capacity. With a small factory alt and a charge rate of closer to .1C (10% of Ah capacity) the bulk duration is even longer.

In my experience the PAC works better on newer 100A and larger stock alts (Yanmar, Beta etc.) but can still cause them to get hot enough to shut off boost mode. Yes, the PAC can boost the voltage to the battery, and this will certainly be better than the stock regulator, especially when it gets to absorption. That is if you're running the engine long enough to attain absorption voltage. The performance, due to the manner in which it operates its temp sensing circuit, is less efficient than an external regulator that uses adaptive temp sensing and finds the absolute peak continuous output the alternator can safely run at.

My second confusion arose with your critique of the ProAlt-C's float behavior when you previously said "Is Float Necessary On Sailboats? In my opinion, mostly no." In any case why would the ProAlt-C stop functioning as a dc-dc converter regulating the battery voltage during float? Wouldn't it continue as long as the alternator voltage minus a diode drop was less than the desired battery voltage?
The PAC is not a buck/boost device, like the Sterling Battery to Battery chargers, which were also referenced in that article, and the Sterling B2B's are tremendous devices. The PAC is a boost device.. There are alternators out there running 14.6V to 14.8V, many Delco's, or even 15.1V voltage set points such as found on a number of Motorola/Prestolite/Leece-Neville alternators so in those cases, on long motor runs, a float would be welcome. When the PAC goes to float mode it is essentially just operating at alt voltage minus the diodes drop. In float there will be minimal current flowing into the battery and the alt will cool off so the regulated alt voltage will be near the factory set point. On most Hitachi's this works out to be about 13.8V - 14.1V, which is going to be fine for the amount you'd actually run the motor.

"When the batteries have been fully charged, the voltage is reduced to float voltage (appr. 13.5V to 13.8V) if possible, depending on the output voltage of the alternator."

In most cases alt float is not necessary on many sailboats. Unfortunately far too many external regulators are set up incorrectly so as to enter float prematurely. So yes, that is still a float = "mostly no". There are situations however where a trawler owner or sailor is traveling long distances under power and a true float would be nice.

The PAC is not going to "over charge" house batteries on a sailboat but I can't with a good conscience not accurately inform my customers about how it actually works vs. the way it is often pitched or appears to the end user. If you read the sentence above carefully you see that Charles is very careful to state that 13.5V to a 13.8V float is only possible if the output voltage of the alternator allows for that. A big deal? Not really, but it should be mentioned because some boaters are expecting a true float like a shore charger, external regulator, solar controller or one of Sterling buck/boost battery to battery chargers especially a customer that does long motor hours and may have expensive AGM batteries such as Firefly's.

At $280 (Defender) and requiring no modification of an alternator, it seems a cost effective improvement for standard alternator systems. Increasing alternator capacity only speeds up the charging process. I suggest anyone interested, read Nigel Calder's article in Sail magazine. It is bang for bucks trade off.
$280.00 is a steal for a Pro Alt C and I have to assume Defender got a special deal on a large purchase for the sale. The Balmar ARS-5 is also on sale at $280.00, another tremendous price, and this would yield even better performance due to the small incremental adjustments it makes to find max continuous output vs. boost>off>boost>off...

Tapping into the alternator brushes is easy, so I always educate my customers, when they ask, as to the differences between an A2B and a true external regulator such as the Balmar. When I can give them better performance on the same alternator, from an external regulator they usually jump at that idea.

I have played with and tested the PAC's quite extensively and it's the factory alts that can't keep up with the PAC not that the PAC can't do the job. The PAC is simply limited by the alternator being pushed too hard and over heating and requiring temp protection.

The Pro Alt C is not a bad device it's just not going to yield the same performance as an external adaptive temp sensing regulator due to the way it operates its alternator protective temp sensing circuitry and the ping-ponging that goes on when the alt gets hot. The PAC is a more of a convenience device for those not inclined to dig into the factory alternator to access the brush wires but it's really not a big deal at all.

The Sterling is easy to install and will certainly yield better performance than the stock alt but not what a true external regulator conversion will do.