Engine Won't Start

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We purchased our boat in March. It is our first boat and have never sailed before. Its been interesting. I must admit to having envy at your cruising record. I'm heartened to hear the 356 has that kind of capability.

The ProTech did have a fuse which was running red hot. The new charger is fused internally and working really well.

We are planning to make our first longish trip to Stuart Loggerhead Marina. I'll let you know if we make it.
Im sure you will be cruising the Bahamas in no time ! You are in the best location for interesting cruising. Stuart is a great destination. Loggerhead is a big marina, nice facilities. We have stayed at Sunset Bay in a slip and on a ball.
Let us know how it goes !
Bob

May 8, 2015
Hunter 356 Vero Beach
Im sure you will be cruising the Bahamas in no time ! You are in the best location for interesting cruising. Stuart is a great destination. Loggerhead is a big marina, nice facilities. We have stayed at Sunset Bay in a slip and on a ball.
Let us know how it goes !
Bob

Thanks Bob.

Jim L

Jun 13, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Kemah, Texas
Seems to be along this line of questioning in this thread. My H 28.5 (20gmf20) started just fine the other evening when we went out for an evening sail. When we started to head in the started did nothing. Push the starter button only thing that happened was the alarm would go off. The cabin lights did not even dim. I feel there is no power getting to the Starter. Is this a good start? Any other quicker thoughts or rectify?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Have had a similar problem. Turned out to be a bad ground to the engine block. Ended up running a ground wire direct to the starter. Hope your fix is as easy.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Not if you are just pulling on wire connections looking for ones that move. If you start taking fittings apart to clean them like at the starter solenoid it is always a good idea pull the positive terminal off the battery.
No, no, no.
Always remove the negative terminal first. This comes from the automotive world however. The reason is if removing the negative cable and your wrench touches something grounded, you don't arc. Once the negative is removed the whole system is unpowered. Having said that, on my boat there is nothing to short the wrench against except another battery terminal.

Ken

Jim L

Jun 13, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Kemah, Texas
Guys Thanks, I finally got to review some photos I had taken a while back from down under and note my first step will be to check the connections they appear pretty corroded hopefully that will be my cure.