Engine ventilation, hunter vision

Feb 15, 2018
hunter 32.5 Belleville
Hi I bought a 1989 hunter vision last year and love it. My question is, there is no blower or venting to the outside from the engine or muffler compartment. Is this normal? How/ where does heat dissipate or if an exhaust leak occurs, where would it go? Is it advisable to install one? Thanks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Petrol inboard engines need an air blower in the compartment to exhaust any fuel gases which could cause an explosion at startup. The same is not true with diesel engines. Some install blowers to cool the intake air hoping to gain some efficiency but the gains are likely insignificant. As far as not having dedicated venting in the muffler section, it is normal. Every boat should have a carbon monoxide detector; even without a leak carbon monoxide can get blown back into the cabin. Before they became popular we used our noses and continuous ventilation to help detect and counteract gases from an exhaust leak. If rain or low temperatures required for the boat to be locked up we made sure the engine was off.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I can't agree with your post, Benny. Heat and unpleasant fumes need to be vented out of living areas. Even with the engine off, heat lingers- like in the quarterberth- so ideally a blower should stay running, but not many do. I can't say there's any boat that "cools the air". It just gets rid of the heat and draws "cooler" outside air in.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Ron I never mentioned circulating fans for the cabin and hatches which are great to keep mildew at bay. The posting was about engine compartment blowers. I neither endorsed or recommended against them but merely stated some information of what we currently see out there in the majority of sailboats. Can't help it if these are my observations.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
With all respect, you may be over thinking this. There is adequate it too through the bilge be fun. I owned one for nine her. Not an issue. Have fun!

Feb 15, 2018
hunter 32.5 Belleville
Thanks for your all your responses, I realise that the hunter vision and I imagine many other hunters were designed without the blower motor. However I found a faint diesel smell lingered after shutdown and when I took the mattress cushions out of the aft cabins at the end of season they smelled of diesel. I think adding a blower will go a long way to helping with both issues and cooling down the engine especially on those hot evenings.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Thanks for your all your responses, I realise that the hunter vision and I imagine many other hunters were designed without the blower motor. However I found a faint diesel smell lingered after shutdown and when I took the mattress cushions out of the aft cabins at the end of season they smelled of diesel. I think adding a blower will go a long way to helping with both issues and cooling down the engine especially on those hot evenings.
You can do that of course, but you really shouldn't have that smell. I would wash or clean everything down from the tank and lines and inlet and vent to and including the engine and then use PureAyre (or whatever Peggy recommends) and try to figure out just where that smell is originating. You may find that you are absolutely right and you do need or want to put in a vent fan, but at least then you will feel better that it isn't a leak.

Feb 15, 2018
hunter 32.5 Belleville
Thanks Rick D, will do that for sure, sadly that is two months away before we get too play. The water here is still hard, ice hard, Lol. Im told spring is on the way and I have seen the first sign, Im spending money for the boat. Repair part for the boom vang, a new head and tank. Have a great day

Mike
Belleville, Ont
Canada