Engine transmission shifter

Sep 3, 2017
Catalina 30 MK III Lake Pepin, WI
I have a difficult time shifting between reverse-neutral-forward with the shifter handle. We actually sheared off the set screw trying to get it into forward.
I find it's very difficult to find "neutral" (I'm assuming it has a neutral for idling purposes.)
Is this a common problem? Can it be fixed or just a quirk?
Thanks.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It's hard to say. Has it changed, or has it always been this way? What RPM is the engine when shifting? Have yu checked the fluid level in the gear? Have you inspected and/or lubricated the shifter cable?

Sep 3, 2017
Catalina 30 MK III Lake Pepin, WI
JV,
You're becoming my "go-to" buy for boat advice! Can't say on how long it's been a problem - I just got the boat four weeks ago. But you gave me a place to start with gear fluid and shifter cable. Thanks again for all your help.
I'm also making progress on my electrical problem that you commented on earlier. As you probably saw, I did get the engine started but there's clearly something wrong with the charging unit. It's now reached my limit of comfort (I'm a neophyte on electrical) so I plan to have the marina mechanic look at it on Tuesday. But from what I've read on-line, the Xantrex units seem to have a lot of issues. So I'm not educating myself on replacement units just in case that's necessary.
Thanks again and happy sailing on this holiday weekend.
Mike

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
you might want to disconnect the linkage from the shifter altogether....draw a schematic or take a picture.

then with the engine NOT running, move the shift lever on the transmission manually....it should move easily and solidly in to gear and neutral and reverse. Do the same with the linkage - one or the other should show an issue, perhaps both. Neutral should be neutral...no rotation of things, if you hold the prop shaft..again engine off.

If those two tests show fluid movement and positive detent in to gear, then start the engine, and perform the same test. Have the boat secured and keep the rpm's low.

engine type and transmission??

good to check the fluid for type and level, if in doubt - go by the tag on the transmission...many times people put the wrong fluid in

bests

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Lube up the shift and throttle cables. They make gadgets that clamp on one end of the cable so you can force grease into the cable assembly. Or buy new

Les

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Lube up the shift and throttle cables. They make gadgets that clamp on one end of the cable so you can force grease into the cable assembly. Or buy new

Les
You can get a "cable luber" and lube at any motorcyle shop.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada