Engine starting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Ochoa

Does this apply having ...

a Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger? I thought that this setup isolates the starting battery from the house battery.

D

David Ochoa

Mark

Hey Mark, found it in the catalog. Now I'm not an electrical genius but I can follow a detailed diagram of how you cabled it up if you have that handy. Thanks

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
Mark - wiring connections?

What were your wiring connections to the Cole Herse solenoid? What gauge cable did you use for each connection? Allan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Wiring diagram.

See Related Link for the sketch I posted some years ago. I mounted the solenoid("relay") on the bulkhead next to the starter. I cut out a square of insulation and mounted it to a block of 3/4" plywood. The old(1979) Yanmar has never failed to start since I implemented this fix.

May 8, 2004
Hunter 44DS Sea Cliff YC, NY
How does the ignition switch work, anyway?

Have a 2000 h410- separate banks for house (2 pairs of 6V golf cart batteries) and engine starting battery (basic group 27). My starter battery is getting pretty old, but it is charged by the solar panel, and doesn't need to do much, so I am trying to ignore it until the end of the season. So... I have found that with the starter battery pretty much dead (< 11 volts), I can still start the engine if I turn the key on and wait a while before pushing the start button. Am I correct in assuming that all the batteries are connected to the starter when I do this? If not, maybe my starter battery is not so dead, but I think it is. In that case, wouldn't it be a waste to bother putting in a bigger starting battery? I don't think it would solve the phantom yanmar starting problem. And, by the way, every once in a while the thing fails to energize, like everyone else's. I usually swear at it, which comes quite naturally at such times, and then it behaves. And also, by the way, the best piece of electrical equipment I have purchased is a little digital voltmeter on a cigarette lighter plug, about $10 at an auto store. I plug it in to a lighter receptacle on the pedestal, or at the nav station, as needed. S/V Breathless h 410 # 250 US 51855

V

Vinny

Start Battery

If your battery switch is wired correctly the start battery is on by it self in one position (1 or 2), the house batteries by themselves in the other and "ALL" means both banks are combined. The key being if they are wired correctly which is not always the case. As for turning the switch on and it not starting, then waiting a few seconds with the switch on and it does, this is the thing boat fires are made of. What could be happening here is when you turn the switch on the corroded wire (some where in the circuit) sets up resistance, thus low voltage on your little meter. But like a toaster oven the wires soon heats up and the current flows better so then the boat starts. This is not something that should be ignored. Jump in anytime here Fred.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Start wiring.

The wiring for starting a Yanmar is very straight forward. You can reference the diagram in my previous post. The batteries are wired to the battery switch. Hopefully that is done correctly with large red #4 cable. #2 cable is better, especially over three or four feet. From the battery switch one red cable(#2 or #4) goes to the #1 post on the starter solenoid. That post also contains the cable from the alternator and a large wire going to your electrical panel. There is a second post(#2) that supplies the 12 volts to the solenoid for starting. The problem is that all the wires, connections, fuses, and switches are in that circuit. There is too much resistance in that circuit and sometimes the solenoid will not "kick". What the "relay" does is supply an "unrestricted" 12 volts to the solenoid. All that the original starter wiring does is supply a small current to the "start relay", the new solenoid. In the diagram I used #8 for the new wiring.

A

Arthur Boas

Known problem. Yanmar refuses to fix

If you look in the archives, this is a very well known issue. It is not a Hunter installation problem, it is a Yanmar starter defect. On their newer engines they have changed the solenoid wiring to include an aux. relay. If you call Yanmar, they will tell you they've never heard of this problem, and will gladly pick your pocket for a new key switch ($200) which does squat.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
OK Vinny, I'll jump.

Ed's got it. When I rebuilt my 3GM30F I also replaced the harness. All those connections are a major problem. Yanmar seems to think they can ignore talking about it. All it takes to prevent any problems is to spray or dab silicone on each connection. It's a joyous feeling to then push the button. Cranks right over. For how long? As long as the silicone lasts. I don't know of anything that makes silicone go away so it should work for the life of the engine. Hmmm, maybe Yanmar wants to preserve after-sale revenue,,,

G

Gary

Just add a relay!

I added a relay. Took less than and hour and it has NEVER even once failed to kick with the first try. Before, it was almost everytime after sailing a while. See the link for the $1 relay I used, this a few feet of wire and some lugs and you are good to go. Gary H320

G

Gary

OK

David, it does for me.. strange. Well, just go to www.partsexpress.com and search for "relay", mine is part number 330-073. Or any auto parts store should have them. Actually socket part number 330-075 is a really good way to install it, will save you 15minutes over my time!

R

Rick Dalton

USCG

Anybody think this issue is enough of a concern to contact the Coast Guard for an investigation. Safety issue? I'm sure that would get Yanmar and Hunters' attention.

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Thanks Ed

Thanks for providing the instalation particulars on the relay aka. solenoid. I know how good it weorks but I had it installed very reasonably by the folks at Port`Superior Marina. Seems it's a problem not unique to Hunters but to specific to yanmars. and they were quite familiar with it.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 376 Waukegan
Agree- you need a relay

I had the same problem when I bought my boat (new). I added a relay and never had that problem again.

B

Bob

Wiring diagram

Guess the advocates of the remote starter relay are the winners. Seems this type of solution is also recommended for cars with hard to start problems. Anyway, enclosed is a wiring diagram that will help with guys trying to install this on their boat

May 31, 2004
Hunter 40 farilee creek md
go with the relay

this will probably put the hex on me but if all the other issues check out, go with the relay- i have an 86 40 hunter the the 4Jhe yanmar and it would start great in the slip but once turned off and semi cooled, it would not restart wothout a number of tries and a few quick prayers. this had gone on for about 2 years and i think it was going on before I bought the boat because i found the original starter switch in a cabinet. it had been replaced and it checks out ok. Since i had the relay installed ,I have not had any of the starting issues that were cropping up before. a cheap fix, worth a try.

J

John

Thanks David Ochoa

Thanks David Ochoa for posting this topic about engine start problems. Last weekend, I installed a relay in the start system similar to the one Gary from Alameda made a link to in his post. The real test came on Labor day after my usual 6 hour sail. The engine started right up without hesitation - just as it would while at the dock! Total cost -$6.00 for relay and other supplies (wire connectors) plus 1 hour installation time.

D

David Ochoa

John

Like I stated before, I'm electrically challenged but since you just did this on your boat can you share how you wired it all in. I see the part that Gary recomended but I fail to understand how to implement it! :~( It's pretty crowded down around the starter on my 376. Thanks

J

John

David its simple

David, I created a word document for future use. e-mail me at sailonh23@yahoo.com I will be happy to give you a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.