Engine service

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Well the only bright side of this project was when I disconnected the water heater hoses that they had neatly routed and zip tied across the top of the engine, I noticed that they were all but worn through. So luckily I found this problem now rather than on a trip. Also worn through the crankcase breather hose and the wire in the heater hose just started to wear into the fuel line. Had to get new hoses and do a reroute.

I think I got her working after a long day. Got warm hoses to and from water heater, warm coolant out of the HX and temp is running at 160.

Time for dinner
Dinner, and a cold beverage of your choice (or two, or three)!!!

Nov 16, 2012
Well the only bright side of this project was when I disconnected the water heater hoses that they had neatly routed and zip tied across the top of the engine, I noticed that they were all but worn through. So luckily I found this problem now rather than on a trip. Also worn through the crankcase breather hose and the wire in the heater hose just started to wear into the fuel line. Had to get new hoses and do a reroute.

I think I got her working after a long day. Got warm hoses to and from water heater, warm coolant out of the HX and temp is running at 160.

Time for dinner
Seriously, what ended up being the problem and solution to the overheated nag issue?

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Seriously, what ended up being the problem and solution to the overheated nag issue?
I figured it was an air lock in the system all along, and that was definitely the problem. I removed both hot water heater hoses, which were dry. I put coolant in one of the ports at the thermostat until it came out the other. I loosened the hose on the bottom of the water pump and drained a little coolant out there. Then I manually filled the water heater loop and reconnected the hoses and it seems to have worked. She runs cool and both water heater hoses get warm and the coolant drained from the HX is warm. The water pump will not push the air through as I had thought/hoped it would. Knowing what I know now I would just get right to it and remove the water heater hoses and fill the thermostat and heater loop manually right away, probably wasn't necessary to loosen lower hose.

There is no mention of any of this in the manual, the manual makes it seem pretty simple and straightforward. Fill with coolant and open the petcock on the thermostat to let the air out. That didnt work at all. Gotta love people that write manuals and have no real world experience. Its not difficult, but wasted lots of time trying to vent the air out per the manual.

I did get to find out that my high temp alarm works ;-)

Hoping when it comes time in the spring to change all fuel filters that that bleeding process goes smoother.

Mike

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Way to go Mike. I've only owned my 310 for just over a year now, and am "dreading" doing the coolant replacement...but am encouraged by this!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Lisa,
You are probably in the 20% of boat owners in terms of really working on your engine!

Do you have a lot of experience with doing this, or did you just "dig-in" recently?

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Way to go Mike. I've only owned my 310 for just over a year now, and am "dreading" doing the coolant replacement...but am encouraged by this!
Lisa,
You are probably in the 20% of boat owners in terms of really working on your engine!

Do you have a lot of experience with doing this, or did you just "dig-in" recently?
This was my first attempt on a boat. Done this many times in a car/truck/tractor. Rebuilt engines and repowered trucks when I was younger, now I have newer trucks that I can't work on. I have a Kubota tractor that I have always done the maintenance on. I would say I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but now the upcoming electrical upgrade scares me ;-) Like I said, it wasn't a difficult task, the problem was mis-information in the manual. I would have been better off not reading the manual. After three attempts doing per the manual, I put it aside and thought the problem through, it was fixed my first attempt.

Mike

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm glad you worked it out. I vaguely recall doing something similar on my C36 with Universal M25.

I was puzzled when I discovered my Tartan 3800 has a remote coolant tank with a pressure cap in addition to the default tank that is the water jacket exhaust manifold. The water heater is higher than the engine, in the port cockpit locker. near by, higher up, is a metal remote coolant tank, of about a gallon capacity, with a pressure cap and coolant overflow tank. There was nothing about this in the Westerbeke manuals or the Tartan owner's manual.

I called Hansen Marine Engineering in Marblehead, the regional Westerbeke distributor, and spoke with Bob Hansen. He told me that the remote tank was installed because it's nearly impossible to properly fill and bleed the system without it, the water heater being higher. He said all of the coolant service is done at the remote tank. The pressure caps are different pressure, with the one on the manifold being higher, typically 14 psi, and the remote tank at 7 psi (but check the caps, he advised, the pressure is marked on them).

Now I get it, having read of your troubles with this.

Nov 16, 2012
I figured it was an air lock in the system all along, and that was definitely the problem. I removed both hot water heater hoses, which were dry. I put coolant in one of the ports at the thermostat until it came out the other. I loosened the hose on the bottom of the water pump and drained a little coolant out there. Then I manually filled the water heater loop and reconnected the hoses and it seems to have worked. She runs cool and both water heater hoses get warm and the coolant drained from the HX is warm. The water pump will not push the air through as I had thought/hoped it would. Knowing what I know now I would just get right to it and remove the water heater hoses and fill the thermostat and heater loop manually right away, probably wasn't necessary to loosen lower hose.

There is no mention of any of this in the manual, the manual makes it seem pretty simple and straightforward. Fill with coolant and open the petcock on the thermostat to let the air out. That didnt work at all. Gotta love people that write manuals and have no real world experience. Its not difficult, but wasted lots of time trying to vent the air out per the manual.

I did get to find out that my high temp alarm works ;-)

Hoping when it comes time in the spring to change all fuel filters that that bleeding process goes smoother.

Mike
Glad it all worked out. I think part of the problem with the manual is that it's for a generic installation of the 25XPB. Each builder has their own particular water flow design, and depending on where it goes the venting changes.