Engine oil changing; Diesel bleeding

kip

Aug 13, 2016
C&C 41 San Francisco
I recently changed my oil on a Yanmar 3HM and needed to get a new extractor pump. Instead of just getting a replacement pump, I got a vacuum Oil Extractor such as you can get a west marine - the pump pumps out air from the enclosed container which then sucks up oil from the dip stick. The oil doesn't mess up the pump and when done and you pull out the hose from the dipstick and suck up some more and the hose is clean as well - wish I knew about this 40 years ago.

I was also changing my primary and secondary fuel filters and was wondering how to get fuel into them and bleed them. Could use the teany tiny primer pump on the yanmar, but that would have taken me a long time. I saw that some have installed an outboard motor priming bulb, but some advise against that because of failures.
It then occured to me that I had a nice vacuum pump and jammed the small hose into the bleed screw hole on the secondary and sucked out the air. I then finished off with a few pump of the primer pump. - it went very quick - just a couple of minutes and made no mess.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Great idea - I have inherited two 12 V extractor pumps that are way too messy. Added to a horizontal oil filter it make the oil change a real PITA.

Question - what brand/model pump do you have?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
And sucking some diesel through the pump hose will clean it out too. The oil recycler won't care of its just a little bit. Gasoline they don't want.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Question - what brand/model pump do you have?
look for Pela. 6000 or larger. depending on your set-up (dipstick tube length etc.) you may need a longer tube/extraction hose. Pela sells those as well.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
My 2 cents... I'm no diesel mech... but...
If you are opening the bleed screw and inserting a hose that was just dangling around in the bottom of your oil pan, I would think you are taking the risk of introducing contaminants into the fuel line AFTER all the filters.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I guess that could happen. The way I do it is I change the oil, then pull the fuel filters and suck them out with the oil change pump. That cleans out the hose so it doesn't drip oil everywhere. Never tried priming the filters with it but the hose would be clean by then. Current boat has an electric lift pump so that part is moot.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I was also changing my primary and secondary fuel filters and was wondering how to get fuel into them and bleed them. Could use the teany tiny primer pump on the yanmar, but that would have taken me a long time. I saw that some have installed an outboard motor priming bulb, but some advise against that because of failures.
I only have an 8 Gallon tank on my 2GM, and besides changing the filter once this year, I have also accidentally run her dry twice this year due to having no working fuel gauge or hour meter. I just screwed up and ran her dry for the second time on our way out sailing last weekend , I refilled the tank from the 5 gallon jerry can of fresh diesel I carry aboard, but the little pump on the side of the 2GM was taking forever to re-prime the engine. After trying for over an hour with no success, I eventually gave up, and got her back to our dock via sail, and and a little help from Tow Boat US (God bless them). I instantly went to West Marine, and bought an outboard primer bulb, and installed it between the fuel tank and my primary filter. Cracked the bleed valve on the secondary, and gave the bulb 10-20 squeezes. Fuel was by then flowing without bubbles from the bleed valve. Closed it up and she started second crank. What an amazing time saver. I will keep an eye on this primer bulb for any deterioration, and may buy a spare to keep aboard, but I will not be removing this any time soon.

Next project is to fix the fuel gauge so I don't ruin another day on the water. LOL

I would fix the hour meter as well, but since its a 33 year old engine, and I have no idea how many hours are currently on her I don't see the point.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have no idea how many hours are currently
You might still benefit from having an hour gauge.
  1. Time to next oil change.
  2. Fuel consumption per hour.
  3. Hours between repairs
  4. Upon selling a gauge for next owner
Just a few ideas.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I was considering a 12V supplemental fuel pump when I had some "issues" on my 322 fuel system this past summer. Some other 322 owners swear by it as a way to bleed the system a lot faster then using the manual lever on the engine fuel pump. Haven't bought this yet but thinking about it..

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fue...9459&sr=8-1&keywords=12+volt+diesel+fuel+pump
Anyone who has done this, how is the pump wired in, and is the electric pump only used for priming, or anytime ignition is on? How did it work?

Nov 14, 2005
Hunter Hunter 38 Ventura Harbor, CA
I just bought a 38' sailboat on which the PO installed a squeeze bulb between the fuel tank and the primary filter. 2 hours into our journey to it's new home the engine died and we had to be towed. It turns out that the squeeze bulb acted as a "pre-primary" filter. An inch of jelly-like material was trapped in the fuel line at the bulb connection and a pile of particles were found in the bulb when I removed the bulb and squeezed it.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Anyone who has done this, how is the pump wired in, and is the electric pump only used for priming, or anytime ignition is on? How did it work?
I did this last year as our engine hand pump is very hard to reach. It's plumbed on a valved by-pass, wired to its own switch and only runs when I change filters etc. Positioned after the tank and before the primary filter/water separator.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I had a 3HM35f on last boat....... great engine. With the secondary filter (engine mounted) o would fill the small canaster with fuel and lift it into place leaving it mostly full. Primary I had a racor 500 that I would also fill to the top before o put the cover on. I would start by opening the bleed screw on secondary filter then pump away. Worked fine and not so much pumping before fuel would come out and all would be good.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I also am able to change out my primary (Groco) and secondary filters on my Yanmar 2GM20F engine without any bleeding...I filled the primary before closing it up, and filled the canister for the on-engine filter. Fired her up and never skipped a beat.

My 2GM20 has a mechanical fuel pump. I can reach it through an access panel if necessary, but it is tedious to pump for very long.

Greg