engine is seized up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
AL, the crank pins on a three cyl Yanmar are at 120 degree intervals..

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
Found a rebuilt 3QM30 for sale. Anyone know what a fair price this engine would be?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
hey rblevens
If the pistons have not budged after that a "good pounding" try taking off the crankshaft. Attention to detail is important as ALL the parts have to go back EXACTLY the same place and orientation. I use a sharpy to mark the various ends so I can line them up again and plastic bags to hold all the parts in one journal. Put a piece of paper in each with the number/name of the journal. Have a numbering system thought out before you go throwing thing in a bag and mark this as they come off the engine.
Once the crank is off and bagged (and hopefully not all seized up) you can get back to piston pounding. Also give some additional time for the oil to loosen things up.
I do not recommend "wailing" on the pistons BTW. This is a PITA mission no doubt about it. Lots and lots of gentile persuasion.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Rebuilt! It is a used rebuild or fresh? Who rebuilt it?

I would think that a fresh rebuild would be worth about $2,500. The problem is the quality of the rebuild. If a certified Yanmar dealer/distributor did it I would add about $500 to that value.

A new 3 cyl Yanmar will probably be about $7500-8500 and it will have a factory warranty.

The advantage of r/r the same engine is you save a bundle on the installation (no rebedding, new shaft/prop etc.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
AL, the crank pins on a three cyl Yanmar are at 120 degree intervals..
Well admitedly, 3 cylinder yanmars are not my stong point, i had one, but never had to do anything major to it, I did work on a three cylinder motorcyle, that had two pistons top of the stroke, and one bottom of the stroke, my engine re build skills came more from Jaguar, Porsche, MG, Austin, Ford etc, mainly straight fours, and straight sixes, with a couple of boxer engines, and and worked on one V6. For rebuild purposes an engine, is an engine, a diesel, just has a higher compression, and so is built stronger than a gas engine, but other than that its the same thing, and the same re build rules apply.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Five years in the Navy
Thats funny, i was in the british merchant marine for about 15 years, and we used that word, FUBAR, all the time. Their is a whole book of seman sayings, it was written by, Rick Jolly, he was a doctor with the Royan Navy, and was in the Falklands war, he wrote Jack speak, which is all the sayings used by the navy, Its a very interesting book, some of the sayings go way back, but are still in use today, i once heard a sailor say of a new captain "i dont like the cut of that mans jib" that goes back to the war with france, where a french man of war, was distinct because of its jib, so when they spotted a ship, and the captain saw it through the tele scope, he would say "dont like the cut of that jib" At which point, he would tell the cabin boy to bring him his brown trousers.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
So, what do I do with the gear once out waiting for the engine to be rebuilt.

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 30 1977 Seabrook
Shop vac crud out of the cylinders. Soak cylinders with PB Blaster. Tap pistons lightly. Wait 24 hours. See if anything moves.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
So, what do I do with the gear once out waiting for the engine to be rebuilt.
When i rebuild an engine, i put every component in the dishwasher, and run it on the pot scrub cycle, my mom used to hate that, when she would open the dishwasher, and in their would be a cylinder head, and four pistons, then when i lived on my own, i had a little production line going, with components going through the dishwasher, now my wife has warned me, if she finds as much as a bolt in there, we are getting divorced, A dog a woman and a walnut tree, the more you beat them, the better they be, I just was never into beating her, maybe i should have been.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I am sure you're familiar with the rule of thumb
Yea i am familiar with that rule, unfortunately, they made it illegal, and i could never convince my wife, that the rule of thumb, was something that she should obey, she wont let me even hit the cats.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
I just don't understand why they don't like these time honored traditions :)

Apr 15, 2009
Hunter 27 beacon ny
not for a diesel..marine diesels on sailboats suffer more from lack of use causing corrosion or inconsistent operating temp lots of idling etc... I think rebuild of yours is cheaper then new for sure or exchange "rebuild" learning this myself this winter on some one else's boat fortunately....main thing find good shop. Recently got 3 differing opinions on exact same condition of cylinder head.. ranging form not bad a little honing to this has to be line bored need oversize piston and rings or will never obtain compression..and I have mech. background???? good luck.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
If you go with a rebuilt, rather than your own current engine rebuilt, I would be interested in the head. Anyone else with a 3QM30 head?

Status
Not open for further replies.