Engine Instrument Panel Relocation, 1984 C27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
I have searched here and a hand full of other places, and cannot find any definitive information/pictures on the relocation of the engine instrument panel from the port side cabin floor up to the port side cockpit area, where it can actually be seen.

I also have concerns if the engine shut off cable will be able to make the curve and still function properly.

I would actually like to add an electric shut off to the fuel system instead of the cable operated one that it has now.

Anyone able to post some pictures or direct me to the thread that details the procedure?

I know I have to add length to the wiring harness and all that, that is not the issue. I am just looking for some basic guidance so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks for the input!

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
I did it on my Catalina 30 just ordered the panel from Catalina and cut the hole , extended the wires and made a sunbrella cover as it sits up in the sun now

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I am guessing there are two factors that dictate why these things are at calf level. First is that there are not a lot of choices in small sailboat cockpits. Ideally they would be with the nav pods, but that would put them in competition with navigation equipment, and make quite a wire loom, probably necessitating 2" supports. I thought about relocating to the cabin wall, but that's a backrest for guests and there are too many idle hands in that area. The other reason is that the wire runs are easier where they are now. My only solution would be to cant the panel a few degrees to make it more visible.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
The new Catalinas were moved up top and mine is not in the way as it is further back where no-one really sits , the reason people want them moved is so they are not always bending down to see panel

Aug 27, 2011
Any chance someone could post a picture of what it looks like mounted up top? Perhaps a close up and a shot from say, about 5 feet away?

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The reason they're down there is that most boats back then had tillers. When folks installed their own wheels, and/or when wheels became popular, the builder didn't move the panels up right away - it took some time to "evolve", like evolution. :)

Kill / shut off: depends on the engine. Most of the Universals have a mechanical shut off, so doing it electricaly could eb in "issue" of design and implementation. It'd be easier to just lengthen the cable. Find out how your engine works before you try an electrical scheme.

Aug 27, 2011
My engine currently has a manual fuel shut off cable, that is in need of replacement.

FWIW, I am a former heavy equipment operator and diesel mechanic (basic) I probably should have been more clear with the engine fuel shut off part of the question.

I know how to install and wire that in, and how to integrate it, I was more just curious if anyone else has already done it.

Normally when wiring in an electro-mechanical fuel shut off, it defaults to the off position with a spring, when the solenoid/coil is energized, it pulls the shut-off to the on position, allowing the engine to start. You normally set the coil up to energize when you turn on the ignition key, then hit the start button. Upon shutdown, just turn the key off.

Also, on most of the heavy equipment I used to run, if they still used glow plugs (some don't) they are in the 3rd position of the switch, with the starter running on the momentary position at the 5th position. For example, OFF-ACC-GLOW-RUN-START would be the 5 positions. Or in the newer engines, the starter wouldn't engage until the plugs glowed for about 5-10 seconds. Or you would have to wait until the warning light went out before hitting the starter.

Some still use manual shut off cables... mostly the older stuff. It is actually easier to wire in a shut off coil than to run a sometimes 20+ foot long manual shut off.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
going to the boat nex weekend will get pictures and even have part # for pod from Catalina still

Aug 16, 2009
The mechanical kill rods actually put a lot of pressure on the panel. When I got my boat, the panel was already cracked where the kill pull was. When I replaced the panel, I went with 1/4" material primarily for that reason. The PO had converted to an electric fuel pump (not the most reliable idea, but it has worked so far). Would just shutting down the fuel pump operate to kill the engine?
I have been thinking of reconnecting the manual pump and using it as a backup should the pump fail. Just have not planned through and researched the manual fuel line selectors and fittings.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Moyer offers blank recessed panel enclosures in two sizes. They're found in the online catalog under 'Gauges."

Aug 16, 2009
Neil, that would not work for what I'm thinking of doing. I want to angle the panel up so it is flush at the bottom but recessed at the top for easier reading (course this could result in a problem with glare). A recessed panel would collect water and require a drain.

Aug 27, 2011
Shutting off the electric fuel pump would actually cause damage if my memory serves me correctly.

What most* diesels need is a flow of fuel (electric pump) to the high pressure injector pump. The engine will probably run, albeit rough, without an electric pump, however, it would probably starve the pump of much needed volume, and as a result, would probably ruin the internals of the injector pump. The fuel from the electric pump supplies volume, cools and lubricates the internals of the injector pump.

@ Lost Parent I would like some pictures if you are able, If I cannot reuse the old panel, then I will make a new one myself, probably with a slight water drainage and viewing angle built in. I may just make a whole new one anyway and change the layout. I also want to add an oil pressure gauge.

Jan 22, 2008
Neil, that would not work for what I'm thinking of doing. I want to angle the panel up so it is flush at the bottom but recessed at the top for easier reading (course this could result in a problem with glare). A recessed panel would collect water and require a drain.
Actually, though difficult to see in their catalog picture the Moyer panels have a sloped bottom for exactly that reason but there are limitations to how far it can be canted back and still drain effectively. The slope isn't severe, like 20° down from horizontal.

I have done the relocation that is the subject of this thread with the exceptions that it was on a Catalina 30 and the new location is in the starboard coaming. Note the panel recess in the pictures is not the Moyer unit and does not have the drainage slope. I hafta git me one a dem. It's on the list.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2011
I see you have a toggle for what appears to be 2 different fuel tanks? Very cool!

These pictures were exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you very much!

Aug 16, 2009
That makes sense, Neil. So what exactly does a mechanical kill cable do?

Aug 27, 2011
It shuts off fuel to the injector pump. Not just shutting off flow, but mechanically disengages some stuff too on some engines.

Just shutting off flow would cause the injectors to run dry, requiring them to be bled at every restart. I have never personally dove into the innards of a injector pump, but it is a complex unit.

If you have ever had your cable brake, and have had to go down to the engine to shut off the pump, you will find it is actually quite easy to move the lever to the off position. 99% of the difficulty is in the manual shut off cable assembly itself. The older and longer the run, the harder it is.

Jan 22, 2008
That makes sense, Neil. So what exactly does a mechanical kill cable do?
Not a kill cable, I'm a gasser. It's the choke. BTW, you and I are in marinas owned by the same family. I'm in Cabrillo.
I see you have a toggle for what appears to be 2 different fuel tanks? Very cool!
That's right, the switch connects the gauge to either tank. Actual tank selection is done with a fuel rated manual Y valve. Through a bit of simple plumbing I can transfer filtered fuel from the 25 gallon tank to the 12 gallon tank, polish fuel in the 12 gallon tank and purge a new filter in seconds with the flip of a switch. Although I can draw fuel to the engine directly from the 25 gallon tank it's not my practice. I typically use the larger tank to replenish the smaller tank via the transfer system.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I've got a 1980 C27 with the 5411 Universal diesel and the gauge panel was moved from the floor level to the coming seatback. Done by the PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.