Engine in reverse while sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
There has been much written on this subject..
Most advise either leave spinning in neutral or lock in reverse
The Yanmar manual states leave it in neutral
I was just curious as to what all the other 309 owners do ?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I always let it freewheel. Warranty requires it - there was a recent thread with the "official" Yanmar position on this.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You're correct about how much has been written about this. The answer has always been: Do what your transmission manufacturer says you should do. :)

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Freewheel

I have let mine freewheel. The transmission has oil in it and it gives me another knot. It has more than twice the engine hours on it with no problem. Every time I change the oil, it is hard to tell the difference between the old and new oil.

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
Our boat has a feathering prop so after we turn off the engine when sailing we put the transmission into reverse for a count of 5 and then shift it into neutral. When sailing in a stiff breeze we never hear the sound of the prop spinning like I do on some boats.

Gary
Glory Days C309

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Excuse me, skippers, but what you are missing in your messages is WHAT MAKE OF TRANSMISSION.

The position is meaningless without that information. Misleading, too, if ya think about it.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
So what's the answer for the Universal 25XP? The broker told me to put it in reverse. After this and other forum discussions I'm not so sure and I can't find the answer in the manual (which doesn't mean its not there somewhere).

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Stu
I've just noticed you've done 10,600 posts
Do you ever get time to go sailing.. :)
Steve
Pompadi

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
So what's the answer for the Universal 25XP? The broker told me to put it in reverse. After this and other forum discussions I'm not so sure and I can't find the answer in the manual (which doesn't mean its not there somewhere).
Neutral or reverse while sailing but never the same direction of travel....

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Thanks Stu and Maine; that's the first definitive answer I have found after reading several threads on the subject. I had come form the lock in reverse school with my old Volvo MD 11, but like the idea of a freewheeling prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.