Engine Control won't allow reverse throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2011
Hunter 36 San Francisco, CA
Just purchased a 2006 Hunter 36. Sailed it up from Ventura to San Francisco, CA this week. What an adventure, and a great way to know what this boat is made of... quite a test. Pt Sur had 20 knot winds and 10 foot swells. Entry to SF had 29 knot winds and was churning with swells that crested the cockpit.

The survey missed an important item. The motor control will no longer allow throttle control in reverse. It will go into forward and control speed. It will also shift into reverse but will not allow increase in throttle. (Quite a suprise to find at the begining of a long voyage... but we made it w/o reverse) I checked the engine and transmission connections. Look fine. Then pulled the cover off of the pedastal and watched the mechanism as I tried all combinations, and it appears that the problem is in the throttle/gear selector control unit.

The pedestal is from Lewmar, but their website does not have any engine control products available. Does anyone know who manufactures this control unit?

Or any other suggestions?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Daddygo, this should be an easy fix if nothing is broken. PO or someone may have open it up to service/grease the mechanism and put back in wrong position. If you can compare the internal connections with another boat. Take pictures of your control internals and post it here. Some of us may have photos so we could post and compare as well. Important thing is the control cables going to engine are free and engine levers are working. I don't remember which control linkage in the photo is for throttle and gear. You could disconnect your cables and play with the throttle lever, the gear one will move then stopped whereas the throttle one will move as the throttle lever is moved forward or reverse. After identified you should make sure the link is connected to the correct cable.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Daddygo,
assuming it's the same as the one on the 356 (looks the same), it is made by Lewmar. I've got the instruction sheet-email via the site and I'll PDF it monday and send it to you. It doesn't tell you much but it may help show you the setup.

May 7, 2011
Ken13559
You may have nailed it. I found a new tube of gear grease in the Nav station. Perhaps the PO did pull it apart. I'll see if I can run down the problem. btw- the throttle actuator is the first diamond shaped plate in your picture. Your picture is very similar to my set up. Thanks for the suggestions.

ChuckWayne
I would appreciate the pdf if you find it. Thanks!

May 7, 2011
There is an access hole near the lever that reveals a tuning screw inside. Do either of you know what that is used to adjust?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the screw adjusts the cable tension, try changing it -sparingly and watch for binding. It might be set too tight, i'd try loosening first. I'll email the pdf to you directly if you email me through the site (I need your email to attach the pdf)

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Daddygo, like Chuck said, that's the cable tension screw. To adjust, loosen, it (anticlockwise) then run the engine to its most bone shaking rpm and tension the screw till the throttle doesn't fall back and that's just about right.

May 7, 2011
Chuck and Ken:

Thanks for your input. I couldn't get the tension screw to make a difference, but I pulled the cover and found the throttle cable was installed on the front of the mechanism causing the cable to approach at a sharp angle, while the gear selector cable was pinned on the backside which didn't push the cable out of whack. I took the throttle cable off of the front and inserted the pin on the backside which took the angle out of the connection. FIXED IT! Now it throttles and is smooth in both forward and reverse. Looks like the factory installer got lazy and it finally pinched enough to cause a problem.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.