Engine Control panel - no key

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I don't have a key to the engine control panel on my boat. I'm wondering if I can replace just the part that uses the key or do I need to replace the whole panel. Here's a picture of the panel. I don't have a key to this. I'm working on getting the engine up and running and realized I never got the key to this. Anyone have any suggestions? This is Yanmar YS?12, probably a YSB12, it's a 1977 boat. I haven't been able to see the back panel on the motor yet to know exactly which model it seems to be, but that seems about right.

Engine_panel.jpg
Engine-panel-guts.jpg
Maybe I can jury rig this for the time being?

Engine_panel.jpg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Probably get from yanmar or just change out with basic new starting switch

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
looks like only two wires? so no start function, only power on/off? there must be a pushbutton for "start" somewhere else?
Switch can be locally obtained (Auto Zone, NAPA) as well if your time fuse is short..

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That key looks like my Yanmar. I don't know if all Yammies are the same, but maybe someone near you has one you can try?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To jury rig a jumper cable or any ON/OFF switch will do. Walmart, West Marine carry universal switches that will serve well. That old panel still looks in pretty good shape. Kloudie is correct there should be a push button switch somewhere else to activate the starter solenoid.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Google "Yanmar Key", bunch of replacement keys pop out, would be cheapest & easiest to me.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
You can replace the ignition switch. I did. It does not even have to be the exact same part. A general, run of the mill ignition switch will go right in there.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
My h77 had the YSB 12 in it. No push button start. Any ignition switch should do.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The universal switches come in different configurations, some are On/Off and others are On/Start/Off, etc. Once you remove the switch from the panel the number of wires will tell you which replacement you use. To get a Key from Yanmar for a 40 year old switch might be difficult and likely not cheap.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
get the all metal switch with key from this site. The old is likely UV degraded anyway. I replacedmine this spring, as my switch housing simply fell apart.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
looks like only two wires? so no start function, only power on/off? there must be a pushbutton for "start" somewhere else?
Switch can be locally obtained (Auto Zone, NAPA) as well if your time fuse is short..
Nope, it has wires under the top two, it's an off/on/start switch. I tried to get them in the photo also, but just couldn't get them to come out. Tried using a flashlight to illuminate the back, still couldn't them to show up in the photo.

One suggestion was to look at replacement keys from Yanmar - I'm going to try that route.

This outside key entrance looks a lot like industrial equipment type key entrance - like, excavators, bulldozers and the like. All you needed was a generic key, it fit all switches - one key fit all.

Noodling around on the internet, I found what looks like a generic replacement key for this vintage panel. I'll see if it works and report back.Thanks for the suggestions from everyone..Here's to hoping that's all it takes!

dj

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
i still have my old yanmar keys (2). Send me an address via PM or email
I'm keene @ msn dot com. (lose the apostrophe and spaces)

edit: that looks like a barrel key of sorts? Mine looks more like a regular house key albeit shorter

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
OK, so it turns out these old Yanmars had two keys, a flat key and a round key. But it's one key fits all in each of those categories. So I found a round key on the internet, bought it and have just been up to the boat to see if it fits. Fits perfectly. Here's a photo of the key I bought. DONE!
key1.jpg

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Funny how you can't get other parts for these old boats, but you can still get Yanmar parts.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Funny how you can't get other parts for these old boats, but you can still get Yanmar parts.
I was just talking to a guy here that has been working on boats for many years. I was telling him about my motor and the fact tha after sitting for who knows how many years it just started right up. He said yes, that's Yanmar. I asked him about getting parts for such an old engine. He said you can still get parts for all these old Yanmar engines with no problem. I'm pretty amazed to tell the truth - motor has been sitting there untouched for many years and starts on the first spin of the engine.

dj

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
My key switch started to fail a couple weeks ago. 1984 Universal diesel.
Pulled the switch. Took it to my local auto parts store.
They had the same switch in stock, brand new.
Looked identical. Same mfg, same model number, same Cole keys. 33 years later.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
OK, ...So I found a round key on the internet, bought it and have just been up to the boat to see if it fits. Fits perfectly....QUOTE]

I hope you bought more than one?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So much for the feeling of "I got a key to start the engine. That means the boat engine is locked when I leave the marina. "