Engine Compartment Insulation - Recommendation?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Most yanmars before 2005 did not have intake silencers on the engine. You would be very surprised by how much bass noise is created from the intake pulses. On our 2004 4JH3E ( 56hp) the cabin noise was terrible even with the insulated engine compartment. It was impossible to have a conversation while motoring. My solution was to attach a 4 foot long flexible carpet cleaning hose of the same diameter ( I believe 1.5 inch) on the intake pipe and coiled it behind the engine. The intake pusles were significantly reduced to the point you could talk in the cabin while motoring. $10 solution.
That's clever, but I would be concerned that if the hose becomes degraded or blocked or collapsed in some way, the engine could ingest piece of it; unless, of course, there's a screen/filter between it and the intake manifold.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have not modified the metal intake stet up that yanmar has on the engine. It has a screen in it. The hose is very similar to clear bilge hose with the vinal support on the outside of the hose.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have not modified the metal intake stet up that yanmar has on the engine. It has a screen in it. The hose is very similar to clear bilge hose with the vinal support on the outside of the hose.
Oh, I see. Very cool.