Engine box top cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Frankfort IL
Duet is now 6 yrs old and we stay on it about half the time from May to September, so we are up and down the companionway a lot. Recently the formica top of the engine box developed severe cracks around the feet of the upper set of companionway stairs, which resulted in our not being able to get in or out of the boat. We had noticed depressions in the formica under the stair feet for a couple of years, and it finally failed. Our terrific Catalina dealer, Dave Fulbright from Sail Place, was in town a couple of weeks ago for the MI City boat show and was good enough to stop by on his way to the show one morning to have a look. Turns out that the plywood backing that is glued onto the bottom of the formica had come unglued and the board had dropped up to 1/2 inches down in the front under the stair feet. Apparently the plywood is supposed to be not only glued but fastened with nails or staples from the top of the sides and front of the box into the edge of the plywood, but it looks like the nails that were used were not long enough to keep it from dropping away from the formica. Dave talked to Catalina and I sent them pictures and I am going to take the whole box to the plant in December on our way down to our condo in Marco and leave it for the month. They have stepped up and will repair the box for me, which I will pick up on our way north in Feb. I got a 2' x 2' by 1/2" piece of oak plywood from Loews for round $8, cut one side to fit between the rails on the top of the box and stained it, so we are temporarily back in business.
So, here is my advice.....if you notice that the formica has depressions under the stair feet, and you want to avoid the hassle I am going through, you might want to take the rails off of the top of the box and install some additional fasteners, (I would use up to 1 1/2" to 2" long wood screws) into the edge of the plywood under the formica top on both sides and the front of the box. Then re-glue the rails on and you should be okay.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Thanks Ken. I noticed very slight depressions on mine (similar vintage as yours), and will check it next time I'm there.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Frankfort IL
John,
I thought of another work-around. If you remove the screw on the inside of the top of the box and peel off the sound insulation, you could add some angle braces underneath the plywood on the top of the box so that it would not drop even if the glue failed. Might be easier than trying to remove the top rails, which look to have a good bond to the top of the box. I have not tried that, but it looks like it would work, assuming you could easily reinstall the insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.