Ender of sailing

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I suppose if I got too forgetful that might be a good reason. Or maybe not having my wife keeping the list.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We are in the process of coming to an end to sailing with the Endeavour. We have her up For Sale, but are in the process of taking one last trip with her. Hopefully making it to the Bahamas and back early May. For us it was the age (I'll turn 75 in a few days) and the distance to the boat. Our home is 2200 miles from the boat in Florida and the packing, unpacking and the 4 day drive is just getting too much.

We will keep the Mac and hope for one long trip on her this fall to Lake Powell again. We still love the water, but it is time for us to move on from the Florida aspect of it,

Sumner
============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As I've done this messing about on boats thing my entire adult life, there certainly have been days when it all seems to be more than I want to contend with. But, after a successful repair or a good night's sleep, I'm OK and back.
However, again having done this all my adult life, I recognize the difference between doing it in one's '20s and '70s, and can definitely see that age and physical ability may limit my ability to do this at some point.
But should I actually have to move ashore, I have absolutely no idea of how I would spend my time and I'm pretty sure it would hasten my end.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Right now my shiny new shoulder is keeping me ashore. Hopefully that’ll improve to the point that it’s a distant memory. But, to answer your question, frustrations with the boat and lack of time have come close to ending my sailing. Dang I hope it never comes to that.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Age is no reason to quit sailing today, assuming you have the means.

This 91' custom daysailer was launched last year for a 90-something owner, with mobility problems.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Age is no reason to quit sailing today, assuming you have the means.

This 91' custom daysailer was launched last year for a 90-something owner, with mobility problems.

Well heck. For that matter being alive isn’t even a requirement. Assuming you can pull a “Weekend at Bernie’s.” I bet Norman Bates still sails with his mother.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Happy Birthday Charlie. Sorry to here that your having to deal with the medical community. Better to have them solve a challenge than to turn their backs.

Rest up and heal quickly.