Emergency Tiller

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by Jac123, May 4, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jac123

Jac123

Joined Apr 19, 2019
    20 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 30
    Proud Mary US Forked River
    I took off the plate that covers the emergency tiller port and found that the inside of the rudder shaft was plugged as shown on the photo below. I'm assuming I should remove this material but just wanted to check if any has ever seen this before?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    1,414 posts, 309 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Never seen it. I'd go ahead and remove it. Maybe wear a hazmat suit? You should see a pin across the shaft that the emergency tiller would fit onto.

3. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    137 posts, 21 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    Does your ET fit inside or outside the rudder stock? (I have a mk-I so dunno.)

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Joined Dec 28, 2015
    294 posts, 120 likes
    Laser, Hunter H30 Standard
    Un Tacoma
    Is it two part foam?

5. Jac123

Jac123

Joined Apr 19, 2019
    20 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 30
    Proud Mary US Forked River
    Tiller fits inside
    It maybe some type of foam but didn't break up easily when I pried at it with screw driver. I'll have to get more aggressive with it.
    Was just wondering if anyone had seen it before. Maybe the way it was shipped and PO never removed??

6. RitSim

RitSim

Joined Jan 29, 2018
    20 posts, 4 likes
    Beneteau 411
    Irish Ayes II US Branford
    We had a C30 for ten years. I think a PO filled the rudder shaft to keep water out. Our rudder shaft was hollow and you could see water inside. Some owners drill and tap the outside bottom of the rudder to allow draining of the accumulated water for winter storage. Actually no water there is good. My emergency tiller fit inside the rudder post and engaged the 3/8" diameter cross bolt that passes thru the quadrant.

Jac123 likes this.
  7. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    137 posts, 21 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    Jac
    No it’s not like that OEM, I’d suspect the PO filled it to prevent water intrusion (a typical problem) and maybe didn’t think about needing to engage the ET?

Rit
    I suspect you have a radial wheel pull-pull cable drive, not a quadrant drive (to be precise.)

C’mon over and and also dial into the International Catalina 30 Association forum and get the collective wisdom of 1,600 experts (owners.)
    https://groups.io/g/Catalina30

Jac123 likes this.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!