Electronics overheating?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
3 weekends ago my both wind displays showing wind speed and direction (ST60 & ST70) stopped working when wind speed hit around 25 knots, and started working again about an hour and a half later when the wind speed decreased to around 15 knots. Soon afterIMG_20170819_093313602.jpg IMG_20170819_093319874.jpg I removed the wood cover that encloses the navigation electronics and left it off as shown in the photos. For the past 2 weekends with wind speed as high as 35 knots, the wind speed indicators worked correctly. The ambient temperatures were higher this past weekend than when the problem occurred. Hunter did not provide any ventilation holes in the wood cover.
Can this issue be heat related? Has anyone else had this issue?

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I have a few questions!
1. What's the temperature of the enclosure it's in?
2. Does the engine heat fill the enclosure?
3. Did you check (READ) the recommended operational temperatures?
At this point I would not drill holes, If the equipment is that delicate, It needs to be replaced by the companies. Most electronics for marine application are manufactured for abnormal temperatures. In your case, you have a failure that is detected and can be reproduced, However, a new device will probably fix it.
Recommendations: 1. Contact the company to get help especially if it's under warranty! 2. To test failure relocate that box OUTSIDE the enclosure for a period of time to see if temps the problem. If temp the cause, have someone open unit and check for cold-solder points. all units have heatsinks perhaps one fell of..etc.
In the meantime go to Walliemart and get a Digital - Refrigerator temp reader $2.75 it records HI and Low temps and place in your enclosure. after a few days open-up a look at what your Hi and Lo temps are.

Hope this helps! Capt Rob