Electronic charts for iPad

Dec 19, 2009
C & C 30 Trenton On
Hi all;
I'm afraid I'm about to start one of those threads, but here goes...My wife had the iNav app on here IPad last last year. Regrettably that iPad found a new owner without our consent. I bought a new iPad and am looking for suggestions as to the best, or most user friendly app. I've loaded iNav X, but it seems I have to keep paying every year for any useful charts. Is this the best app system or can someone suggest another app that I can buy once.

Chris

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I NavX does cost to update, but it provides a way to link to my boat's AIS at no cost.
ISailor charges a fee to allow AIS connection, but charts are not billed all the time.
They get you either way you go.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good software and good charting is not free. This can be mission critical stuff, so don't chinch out. Make a short list of quality apps that have good charting for your area, and select one from that. I've used all the major ones and now use iSailor exclusively on coastal waters/Great Lakes. I have both the AIS and weather subscriptions. The weather is via Ther and is world-class.

I use Navionics on inland USA waters where NOAA/iSailor does not cover.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have both the apps on my apple products and use them, but default to Coastal Explorer on the laptop as my primary. Now working on a screen I can see in the cockpit. Fighting going to a Raymarine/Garmin MFD. Though it may come to that. I really liek the ability to sit in the cabin and chart the next trip on the laptop. All the info is readily available... Active Captain, Logs, Waggoner's Guide, Canadian charts.

mhans

Sep 12, 2017
C&C Corvette 31 New York
We have Navionics (the paid subscription) on our iPad, but a word of warning: Never use in exclusively. NOAA charts are more up to date in certain locations. We grounded on a sand bar where Navionics had us with 20ft below our keel. Went back and checked our paper chart... and wished we had done that earlier.

Side note: Word around the marina (we were far from the only ones to find that spot): Hurricane Sandy moved a lot of sand around in Rockaway Inlet.