Electric toilet

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Hi All,
Our manual toilet is playing up and I was just wondering if anyone has fitted an electric toilet to a 309.
If so , what model fits in the space , any issues with installation.

Happy New Year...

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have a Thetford Tecma head in my motorhome and love it. It has three flush, #1, #2 plus "sailing mode". #1 uses minimal water (0.01gal). #2 uses 0.7 gal. Sailing mode is the same as #1 & #2 but leaves the bowl empty after each use. You then manually fill before use by touching the fill button. For the past two years it has eaten everything we threw at it. :biggrin:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/thet...ence-plus-heads--P011_334_006_504?recordNum=4

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Tecma toilets are fine toilets,...and yes, they will eat just about everything except wet wipes. But they're a bit power and water hungry (.7 gal is about 20% more than average)....and pricy!! There are quieter less expensive choices that you might want to check out before making a decision: The Raritan SeaEra was top rated by Practical Sailor ("best budget buy") a few years ago Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet is available in both sea water and fresh water versions, as either a complete toilet or a "conversion" (you can keep your existing bowl. seat and lid, which can save you quite a bit of money). Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet I'm adding the owners manual so you can see what's involved to install it Raritan SeaEra owners manual
Or you can go top of the line with the Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf [URL='http://raritaneng.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/L490V0815-Marine-EleganceOM.pdf']Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual[/URL].

Raritan toilets are made in the US, which makes 'em pricy in OZ, but are made to provide decades of reliable trouble-free service. Raritan has an excellent distributor in OZ --AMI Sales, who has locations in all the major population centers. Troy Cameron in their New South Wales location would be your go-to person...he has ALL the answers. I can give you his direct contact info if you want it.

Jabsco now has only 3 mfr'g locations: UK, Mexico (everything sold in the US) and China. Not sure where Jabsco products sold in OZ are made...those made in the UK seem to be higher quality and more durable than the others.

TMC is a Taiwanese company that has pretty wide distribution in Asia and OZ. Their toilets are very inexpensive, with durability to match price....2-3 trouble- free years is about average. Their owners manuals don't provide much help either.

That should be enough to get you started checking out what's available to you...I'm sure it'll result in a lot more questions, so you're welcome to give me a shout if you want some help with the answers.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Thanks Hayden,
Looks good but I have limited space, it’s probably better than the ones I have at home

Peggie, thanks for all the info ,
I can get Jabsco and TMC in OZ, we have limited back room and both these brands allow to offset the pump 90 degrees so that should help make it fit.
Jabsco about 30% more expensive but seems better quality.

Should existing plumbing be ok ?

In your opinion is going electric a good option or would you stay with a manual .

My thinking is electric is less prone to being damaged by heavy handed crew and visitors who are not familiar with marine toilets ..!

Cheers,
Steve

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I can get Jabsco and TMC in OZ, we have limited back room and both these brands allow to offset the pump 90 degrees so that should help make it fit.
The SeaEra pump can also be offset 90 or even 180 (not that you'd want to do that, but I actually saw an installation with discharge in the front..90 elbow went straight through the floor). Yes, it's considerably more expensive than a Jabsco, but a LOT more durable and reliable. And the inlet pump is a diaphragm pump assembly at the rear of pump housing....easy to replace when necessary. The Jabsco has an intake impeller that requires taking the pump apart to get to it.

Should existing plumbing be ok ?
Depends on how old it is, and whether it stinks or not...or is about to. If it's white hose that's still white, it's prob'ly ok...but if it's turned yellow, replace it!

In your opinion is going electric a good option or would you stay with a manual . My thinking is electric is less prone to being damaged by heavy handed crew and visitors who are not familiar with marine toilets ..!
Sound thinking 'cuz guests are responsible for 99% of toilet problems.

With all of these toilets you have the option of sea water or pressurized fresh water flush. Toilets designed to use fresh water are much quieter, use less water and draw less amperage. Plus fresh water eliminates sea water odor and mineral buildup issues.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Tecma toilets are fine toilets,...and yes, they will eat just about everything except wet wipes. But they're a bit power and water hungry (.7 gal is about 20% more than average)....and pricy!!
Peggy, I need you to teach my wife how to use less than 0.7 gal. and don't even get me started about my daughter! (BTW the Tecma will handle Kirkland flushable wet wipes without complaint.)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have had the Sea Era for many years and did use the bowl
that came with my factory head.
Been very happy and no problems at all.
Nick

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I installed a conversion kit (no need for a whole new toilet -- price about $250) for my Jabisco and it works pretty good. Will never go back to manual again.

TWM

Oct 28, 2016
Catalina 309 Newport
Hi Steve. Just saw your post. I am working through the same issues with our manual sabsco toilet. Where did you end up. I saw that whitworths at Mona vale sell the manual pump mechanism but I know the wife would prefer electric.
Cheers. Peter

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
FWIW - I am a former C309 owner. I replaced the manual head with a Raritan Marine Elegance fresh-water flush electric head. Relatively easy installation , and I was quite happy with it until I sold the boat. I think I posted a thread here on the installation - search the archives, as I’m pretty certain it’s there with pictures.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Hi Peter,
I haven’t changed it yet, managed to get the old one working for now.
It’s still on the list...!
Let me know how you go if you go electric.
Steve