Electric engine kill on M-18?

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
I just replaced my engine kill cable in August. The cable broke last week under not-so-significant load. I am wondering has anybody retrofitted an electric engine kill on a C-30/Universal M-18? I'd rather press a button for a few seconds than pull a cable.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
Sorry people. I just realized I asked the same question 8 months ago. My bad.

Looks like I will replace the cable again.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
There were stop solenoids on some Kubota tractors and got a coat from Engines 1 in VA to supply one for an M25. It might work in an M18.
Contact Engines 1.
There’s also a stop solenoid/linkage listed
(I think it was for a d850 or B6200 tractor) on eBay.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If your breaking cables something is wrong. Too little radius or other binding.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
I ordered a new cable from Catalina Direct. They are going to warrantee the 6 month old cable. I still have to do the install and return shipping.

I had the previous one professionally installed since I also replaced a shift cable at the same time. My back is not in good shape and I do not do well in awkward positions such as standing on my head while running cable. Still I am leaning towards replacing the kill cable myself. Any advice on that?

May 7, 2011
Pull the new one using the old one. Not that difficult, just a PITA.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
Here's an update on this. I installed a new cable from Catalina Direct. They warranted the 7 month old cable that broke.

The old cable broke about where the outer cable was clamped to the heat exchanger. There was no other place to clamp the cable on the cable bracket so that is likely why it had been clamped there. I didnt like clamping it that far away from the cable bracket, so I fabricated a clamp on the cable bracket. The new cable works 100 times better and smoother than the not-so-old cable that it replaced.

As someone on this thread said, it was not that hard to run the new cable, except *I* got stuck behind the galley drawers.

Thanks all for the info and advice. I am happy with the cable solution vs the electric kill solenoid.
Jim

May 7, 2011
Jim

I take exception to the term “professionally” installed. Whoever did that wasn’t a professional— on the Hx is just bizarre. A better word is “idiot” installed.
You were just missing the bracket that’s supposed to be on the stop lever cover. Similar to what’s on this M25
A3C24BE9-BF4A-4A4C-A70B-993D6FB64163.jpeg

Everyone: if you include pix of an issue or provide complete details it’s easier to help.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
The picture looks exactly like my M-18. The bracket is there. It appears to be just an 'L' shaped piece of steel with a 1/4" hole that the cable goes through. There is nothing to hold the outer cable to the bracket.

In the above ref picture, how is the outer cable secured?

May 7, 2011
Well I’m not at the boat but IIRC, my cable may be zip tied to another one or the tranny bracket out of the photo (just to hold it “up” and so it's not floppy.) The stop cable doesn’t need the sheath secured because, unlike the tranny and throttle cables, there’s no PUSH, only PULL. The stop lever is spring return so there’s no PUSH needed. My cable is long enough and with it supported back further, the end is always resting against the bracket.

It’s kinda like a caliper brake cable on a bike, the sheath just sits against the stop (albeit the stop is typically a recessed cup the cable sits in, but is not secured.)