Elect. Trolling motor 1968 Venture 21?

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
I used a 21lb thrust trolling motor for a year on my ODay 23 with good results. Granted I'm a lake sailor but it'd get me up to 5 knots fairly easy.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
what pound thrust motor and how fast will it push the boat?
I just bought a 1973 Venture 21 and subsequently purchased a 55 lb thrust trolling motor to go with it. I believe I spent $230 on the trolling motor and I don't think I would have gone with less thrust than that.

I had it out on December 1 and it pushed the boat pretty well. We used it to leave the dock and sailed for a couple of hours before the wind died. We then used it to return to the dock (about 20 minutes of motoring) and then it took me about another 15-20 minutes to put the boat on the trailer - because I'm a rookie.

Minn-kota C2 Endura 55 is the model I purchased. I think the "Max" is a step up from that model and has a battery monitor of some sort. That would be nice as I had no idea how much battery was left. I would like some sort of battery monitor before putting myself in a place where it might be necessary to motor very far.

One concern I still have is use in salt water - if I decide to take the boat to San Diego or to Rocky Point, MX (I live in the Phoenix, AZ area).

Going out tomorrow again and will give additional feedback to the extent trip #2 changes my assessment.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
The recoil on my engine broke the day I was leaving Florida. I was in a slip at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. There was a 20mph wind pushing me into the slip along with the very fast tide. I have a 55lb thrust electric motor as a backup. It was able to pull me stern first out of the slip and over to the dock next to the ramp.

I used an electric until I could find a good outboard. I still use it on quiet evenings when I just want to cruise silently.

I would get a 30lb electric for your boat but you will have limited range and it will be less than 5 knots. I had a 22ft Venture and the 30lb worked for me.

Nov 17, 2013
We went to Lake Pleasant today and we had some pretty good wind. The 55 Lb thrust electric motor did a nice job getting us away from the dock under light winds. While we were out, the winds kicked up pretty good and I sailed as close to the dock as I could without the motor. We then dropped sail and motored in to the dock and used the trolling motor to put the boat on the trailer.

I have to say that I'm glad I had the 55lb thrust and I'm not sure I would want less. The wind pushed us pretty hard coming across the starboard side. We had to play the wind a bit to hit the trailer.

Personally, I wouldn't go less than 55lb thrust - but I'm a VERY novice sailor.

Jul 22, 2009
2 26M Pilot
It's hard to determine ft lbs thrust to horsepower but roughly 100 ft lbs will be around 1 hp Not much. Please don't take this as an absolute number because a lot of factors enter into the equation and results will vary greatly depending on hull shape and prop efficiency. That said. a 50 ft lb thrust electric motor is not much for a 21 foot sailboat. It can get you out of the dock and do ok in calm conditions but when it gets windy the high sides of a sailboat catch the wind and quickly overpower the electric motor-been there done that. I do keep an electric motor on my 26m for emergencies but would not won't to be out without a gas motor as my main backup to sails.

Nov 17, 2013
Does anyone have an approximate idea of how long a marine battery will last while running an electric trolling motor such as mine (Minn-Kota Endura C2 55lb thrust)?

I can't seem to find that information anywhere. I know people who fish run them while trolling without concern about the battery running down (as they have a gas motor to return to dock).

I ran mine for approximately 5 minutes leaving the dock and 15-20 minutes returning to the dock - and the entire trip back to the dock I worried about having enough juice to get back. I'd like to think that I should be able to get a couple of hours out of a fully charged marine battery - but I have no idea.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Does anyone have an approximate idea of how long a marine battery will last while running an electric trolling motor such as mine (Minn-Kota Endura C2 55lb thrust)?

I can't seem to find that information anywhere. I know people who fish run them while trolling without concern about the battery running down (as they have a gas motor to return to dock).

I ran mine for approximately 5 minutes leaving the dock and 15-20 minutes returning to the dock - and the entire trip back to the dock I worried about having enough juice to get back. I'd like to think that I should be able to get a couple of hours out of a fully charged marine battery - but I have no idea.

I can't answer your question but I'm just wondering why you are going this route?

Sometimes the chips are suddenly down its a damn comfort to push "start" and roar away. I just can't believe a trolling motor would give me the same relief. Especially at 3am 35mph wind 4 foot waves lee rocky shore foggy sleet just woke up and anchors dragging.

I can certainly see it would have its place but....

Nov 17, 2013
I can't answer your question but I'm just wondering why you are going this route?

Sometimes the chips are suddenly down its a damn comfort to push "start" and roar away. I just can't believe a trolling motor would give me the same relief. Especially at 3am 35mph wind 4 foot waves lee rocky shore foggy sleet just woke up and anchors dragging.

I can certainly see it would have its place but....
I'm sailing a 1973 Venture 21 on Lake Pleasant - I guess it's possible that there could be a 35 mile per hour wind and 4 foot waves, but not likely...and I won't be out at 3a.m. So, the trolling motor seemed sufficient. It does have its drawbacks, however. With an outboard, I could look in the tank to see how much gas is left. There must be a way to determine how much battery is left.

Aug 22, 2011
I'm sailing a 1973 Venture 21 on Lake Pleasant - I guess it's possible that there could be a 35 mile per hour wind and 4 foot waves, but not likely...and I won't be out at 3a.m. So, the trolling motor seemed sufficient. It does have its drawbacks, however. With an outboard, I could look in the tank to see how much gas is left. There must be a way to determine how much battery is left.
Lake Pleasant must be indeed pleasant and you don't know what you're missing with sailing at 3am. Sometimes it just the best!

There's a little voodoo in precision battery evaluations but you can use a simple cheap Digital Volt Meter to measure it will give you a pretty good idea.

Or buy a better one and get very handy with it - it pays off.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I bought my Venture 21 at Christmas in 1970. I have never had a motor on the boat. The Venture 21 is basically a daysailer with a small cabin that you can spend a couple of days on if you like.

The point is there is significantly area for the wind to hit on the 21, even compared to it next size big brother the V-22.

I have gone into some pretty tight situations with out a motor, and sailed it in some pretty heavy weather. In all situations remember what boat you are on and its capabilities, and plan for every eventuality, especially as things start getting tight as when coming into a crowded launching ramp.

In answer to your question I would think that the Electric motor would be more than sufficient for moving the boat in and out of dock areas, and around marinas. If you get caught in a thunder storm or other high wind event you can always reduce sail. (The V-21 is well balanced and can be sailed under jib alone. I have done that but that is a different story.)

I am not saying there are not times that the motor is not nice but it is not when you have wind, it is when you are maneuvering a quarter mile through a narrow channel to a docking area.

Nov 17, 2013
Lake Pleasant must be indeed pleasant and you don't know what you're missing with sailing at 3am. Sometimes it just the best!

There's a little voodoo in precision battery evaluations but you can use a simple cheap Digital Volt Meter to measure it will give you a pretty good idea.

Or buy a better one and get very handy with it - it pays off.

CHEESELAND...then you might appreciate this. Or maybe not...

When you are out sailing at 3:00.a.m. is it on Green Bay or Lake Michigan? I can't imagine that you are getting 4 ft waves on Petenwell Lake.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2011
CHEESELAND...then you might appreciate this. Or maybe not...

When you are out sailing at 3:00.a.m. is it on Green Bay or Lake Michigan? I can't imagine that you are getting 4 ft waves on Petenwell Lake.
Seen a few 4s in Winnebago, biggest on Petewell ever is a 3 Foot max. Green Bay is this next summer. I can not wait.

I appreciate everything and nothing :p

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
Seen a few 4s in Winnebago, biggest on Petewell ever is a 3 Foot max. Green Bay is this next summer. I can not wait.

I appreciate everything and nothing :p

First splash of the season (finally) and I have a new found respect for our home lake.

6 foot waves. Never seen anything like it on Petenwell. We were the only damn fools out there and we never did manage to get a sail up in 24 hours. Going forward to tame a loose jib was like continuous free fall and skyrocket all in one since the wave period was so short.

I also have an even respect for the admiral who kept her cool and hung in there with me the entire time without complaint.

Lesson, never take anything for granted. Prepare prepare prepare.

All in all I enjoyed the handling experience and the mother nature lesson immensely.

Sep 3, 2017
Macgregor Venture 21 Home
I'm planning to buy a Minn-Kota Endura C2 Max 55lb thrust for my 1972 Venture 21. Do you guys recommend a 30" or a 36" shaft on it? Also, is that rear compartment on the stern a good place to mount the battery?