Edson wheel brake replacement

Apr 30, 2017
Catalina 28 mkII Sydney, BC
I'm a new owner but I've heard great things about the Catalina community and the support available. The wheel brake on my 28 mkII doesn't do a thing (centre nut-type). I don't see any model number stamped on the pedestal, can anyone tell me what rebuild kit I need to buy for this before I tear it apart?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You might have a poke around on CD (Catalina Direct). Fair warning though - there's not much there that you can't live without. :)

Apr 30, 2017
You might have a poke around on CD (Catalina Direct). Fair warning though - there's not much there that you can't live without. :)
Thanks, I tried CD but they only show the rebuild kit for a side-mount brake whereas I have the through-shaft. I've emailed Edson.

Apr 30, 2017
I've got an update for this thread for those interested, I called Edson and their tech support was fantastic. The guy I got put in touch with walked me through a repair on the phone. Apparently these wheel locks often get over-tightened and the brass sleeve which has to set screws to keep it from sliding back, slides back. Here's the steps to a fix, which I'm going to try in a couple days when I'm back on the boat:

• Take off compass
  • There's a bronze sprocket secured by two setscrews (one top, one bottom)
  • Get some alan keys and some super glue
  • Loosen the set screws, hip check the shaft so it goes in about ⅛”
  • You’ll know it worked if the first set screw goes in further.
  • Take second out, lock tite, re-add
  • take first out, lock tite re-add
81A5A306-5F08-4D13-9EED-39E74FC2FDE2.png