Edson Steering Problem

Apr 26, 2009
Catalina 309 #168 kentucky lake
Catalina 309 #168, Yesterday while cruising at idle speed in a crowded cove my steering wheel locked up and I had to quickly put the boat in reverse to avoid crashing into another boat.
The steering was fine when I went forward again, however, I tested the steering while at the marina and got it to do it once more, when I quickly turn in the opposite direction it corrects itself and goes back on track.

Any suggestions?

Don

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Sounds like one (or both) of the cables that go around the quadrant may be loose and came out of the track. I've had this happen a few times, but finally got the cables adjusted properly.

Apr 26, 2009
That was my 1st thought, the cables didn't jump the quadrant but were loose so I tightened them. I asked my wife to turn the wheel after tightening and the wheel jammed 1st. try but I couldn't get it to do it again.
How tight should the cables be?, I was afraid to over tighten.

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Is it possible you have something fowling your rudder? The steering systems seems pretty robust as long as you don't allow the cables to go loose.

Apr 26, 2009
I will be looking at the rudder this weekend, thank you all for the input.

Apr 26, 2009
Thought I fixed the Edson Steering problem by tightening the cable, WRONG.

The Bad news:
Backed out of my slip yesterday and lost steering completely, able to through a line to a guy on dock that pulled us in.

The Good News:
I went into the cockpit locker to see the lower part of the steering unit while my wife was moving the steering and I immediately saw that a 4" metal piece was missing 1 of 2 bolts. This piece is bolted to the pedestal pulley/wheel (not sure what it's called) where the end of the cable comes out.

Locktight on both bolts, good and tight, done:dance: