Edson steering nylon conduit end fittings

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
During routine inspection I noticed that these nylon fittings are both cracked- one has half its base missing. Notice the one on left- half the fitting is gone!
Question; has anyone had these break completely, and if so what was the outcome?
Using nylon seems really strange, but Edson have been around a long time!?
edson end fitting.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Look like fine adjustment for cable tension.. if the broken one disintegrates, you'll have a LOT of slack at the wheel.. I don't think that it would jamb .. but steering would be pretty loose.. Prolly a good idea to change both once ya get in there.. It looks a bit congested in there, and I think, from the looks of the fracture, that it was hit while working the raw water seacock or the shaft seal..

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Eian, both of ours were broken when we took possession in 2002. These were the ones right behind the lower battery case and what appears happened was someone pushed the case hard against the conduit where it connects to the fitting causing them to break. Probably did not realize what had happened.

I ordered two new ones from Edson, and rather than disassemble the system, I used a fine scroll saw blade to cut them in half lengthwise, applied some 3M-5200 sealant/adhesive to the edges, then threaded them into the aluminum casting. Finished it off with an adjustable SS clamp on the exposed nylon part. That was in 2002, and still as good as new.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Careful with 5200, you don’t want to use it as thread locker in a nylon fitting. (Especially where you have limited access space).

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Job successfully completed- I will post a work summary on this project -Terry’s solution works well but there are a few caveats on completing the job successfully