Easy way to add antifreeze

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I plan on keeping my boat in the water this coming winter and also plan to keep sailing.

I am considering adding a tee fitting to the raw water inlet hose together with a valve and a short piece of hose.

The plan would be after motoring back to the dock to put the tee'd piece of hose in a jug of antifreeze, close the raw water thru-hull and open the valve on the tee'd piece of hose in order to replace the raw water with antifreeze.

Does anyone see a problem with this setup?

I always close all thru hulls on my boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's how ours is set up. We do it once in the water before we haul out with the crane. I don't see any difference.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My only concern would be how to displace the water in the intake line between the seacock and the tee. When the boat is kept on the hard that's not an issue - just open the seacock and it all runs out. But you'll need some way to get antifreeze into that section of hose and the upper part of the seacock.

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
My only concern would be how to displace the water in the intake line between the seacock and the tee. When the boat is kept on the hard that's not an issue - just open the seacock and it all runs out. But you'll need some way to get antifreeze into that section of hose and the upper part of the seacock.
Good point.

I think I could simply fill the tee line with antifreeze, hold it up above the waterline and open the seacock.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Would it actually displace the seawater or would you have to squeeze the jug to push it out?

Jun 18, 2015
Mascot 28 Pilothouse Motorsailer Grand Manan
I have this exact setup for winterizing on the hard.
Make sure you install the antifreeze tee between the seacock & the raw water filter inlet.
This way the raw water filter will be filled with A/F as well as the rest of the R/W system.
Close seacock,open tee valve,run engine til lots of pink RV A/F out the exhaust,stop engine,close tee valve,open seacock.
The raw water in seacock will drain to waterline level in a minute & you can close seacock if desired.
This uses about 1/2 jug (2L) of A/F = $2 each time.

Alternatively,you can blow into the tee hose at the A/F jug end & blow the water out the seacock & then close it.
/ Len

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Would it actually displace the seawater or would you have to squeeze the jug to push it out?
I'm fairly optimistic gravity should do it. I've found it to be a very dependable force.

Or like Len says, I could just blow air while closing the seacock.