Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'd think a little more outside the box. I think that Grand Traverse Bay would be a fantastic place to keep your boat and it is about a 3-hour drive from Kalamazoo. You could cut that distance down if you want to live a bit north of K'zoo. You say you do 4 hours currently, so it's an improvement! Northern Michigan is phenomenal for weekend vacation destination.
To get there with your boat, take the Trent-Severn waterway to skip most of Lake Ontario and all of Lake Erie. Of course your mast comes down to get to St. Lawrence River via Richelieu River, but you can visit 1,000 Islands and then go straight to Georgian Bay through the Ontario lake country. I've been dreaming about that route! Put your mast up in Georgian Bay and sail through the North Channel on your way to the Mackinaw Straights and Lake Michigan. You will be hitting the highlights of the Great Lakes and skipping the misery of Welland Canal, Lake Erie, Detroit River, etc. I think I'd find the Ontario lakes country more interesting than Erie Canal.
I would choose Elk Rapids or even Charlevoix as the final destination. After a full season there, you still have the option to move south if the commuting is bothersome. If you truck your boat to a southern destination, you will miss an incredible experience, and you may never find out just how spectacular the north end of Lake Michigan is. Cruising destinations from Grand Traverse Bay are about the best you'll find anywhere.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Straight from Wikipedia: "The Trent–Severn Waterway is a 386 kilometres (240 mi)-long canal route connecting Lake Ontario at Trenton to Lake Huron at Port Severn. Its major natural waterways include the Trent River, Otonabee River, the Kawartha lakes, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching and the Severn River. Its scenic, meandering route has been called "one of the finest interconnected systems of navigation in the world".[1]"

Figure 226 nautical miles, that's about 38 hours of motoring at 6 knots, my boats motoring speed. So if I took a week to run through that canal, there would be a bit of time for sight-seeing. Sounds very interesting. Especially dumping out in the the Georgian bay and then going up through the North Chanel! I sailed on the Georgian bay a number of years ago, just down on the lower end for 3 or 4 days. It is a really beautiful! I've always wanted to sail the North Chanel!

I do like how you think!

dj

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
While the passage through the Trent would indeed be absolutely beautiful, it will take far longer than 38 hrs of motoring as there are 44 locks on the route, even at (1) hour per lock you would be adding at least 3 days depending on the hours of operation for each lock, not that would be a back thing as the scenery in the area is very nice.
https://www.trentsevern.com/index.php/tool-kit/faqs

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI

Attachments