DYWER OR Z SPAR?

Jun 22, 2016
Pearson 26 Chesapeake Bay
How can i identify which mast i have on my O'day 222?

I just picked this boat up and i'd like to replace all the rigging, with parts from DR marine. I've sent them an email but yet to hear a response.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Unfortunately, Rudy is not quick to respond to e-mail. Call him on the phone and usually get extra-quick response, and well worth the phone cost for a chance to ask him questions direct! P# (508) 644-3001 On the phone he can clue you into how to determine if your 222 has a Z-Spar or DWYER Mast, What model year is your boat? I have the rigging spec pages for a 1986 Model 222 (Thanks to Joe Alves, late owner of TRINKA) and that boat had the Z-Spar rig and the specs say that the Z-Spars were on hull# 691 and later. However, I have specs from a 1989 that list the mast as a KENYON (could have been a replacement? However, 1989 would have been one of the last 222s built and under different management than the 1986.)

D&R Marine is literally a MOM & POP operation, just Rudy and his Wife....... so, web orders get handled quick (and much quicker if followed up by phone), phone called questions and orders just as quick, e-mail......... well, not Rudy's strong point, since he gets very busy at times and between filling orders, making wooden parts, splicing running rigging, swaging standing rigging, and helping with phone and occasional walk-in customers........ e-mail may get put aside. Bad business practice, yes, I guess so.......... but, for a 2-person shop....... D&R can seldom be beat for O'DAY Specific replacement parts!! Some of us are lucky enough to live within driving distance of D&R ,and a Saturday morning visit gets the fastest service.......... and the chance to drool over a "candy store" of O'DAY Parts........ not to mention a wonderful conversation with Rudy. For those not so lucky, a phone call is a very close second to an in-person visit.

Jun 22, 2016
Pearson 26 Chesapeake Bay
'84 the first year. So if he's come out with a direct fit mast support post id like to buy one of those too as the first year didn't have them. I've read over Trinnka posts. He seems to be very knowledgeable about the 222s as well.

I suspected an email would get me a slow response so in the mean time I wondered if someone could give me an easy way to identify the mast build. I think it's probably safe to say it's a dywer with a replacement step, with pins for easy stopping.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The Dwyer should be a eliptical cross section, with a SS mast base hinge. Halyards will be run externally. A Z-Spar has a flat across the aft side of the mast, and internally routed halyards. The mast foot has integrated sheaves in a cast aluminum plug that looks like it has cooling fins.