Dutchman Stack Pack???

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
My '97 Cat30 is rigged with a Dutchman Mainsail System. I would love to augment it with a Stack Pack. It seems that the only Mainsail Control System that the major providers can accommodate is Lazy Jack.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that can make one for a Dutchman?
Keep in mind that I have been searching on line at all the known sites, eBay, Lee, Ullman, etc.
Thanks and Happy Sailing to whomever is still in the water.....

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I doubt that you will be able to find what you're looking without designing a custom system yourself. The problem is that the Dutchman system allows your main to gently drape over your boom as it's lowered. A system like the Stack Pack or similar systems cradle your main inside the cover. It doesn't flake the sail as neatly or as gently as the Dutchman. The two systems flake the sails very differently. Having a built in cover like the Stack Pack in combination with the Dutchman system will hinder the proper flaking of the main. The main will be constricted within the cover as it is dropped and it won't flake as intended.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Ted describes it properly. A dutchman system flakes the sail as it is dropped, with a SP you drop the sail and it is captured by the lazy jacks and the cover, you then straighten the sail in the cover before zipping it up.

They both do similar functions but the Dutchman system isn't compatible with a SP. And a SP won't work with a Dutchman. I have 2 SP's on my ketch and like how they handle the sails. I've used the Dutchman system on other boats and find it is OK but not my preferred system.

Not sure what you are looking for the SP to do? if it is cover the sail you'll have to use your standard sail cover and loosen the dutchman lines prior to putting it on or have someone create a custom cover with cut outs for the lines.

One thing about the SP is it works best with a loose foot main although I've seen versions that work with a standard main.

Good luck

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
I doubt that you will be able to find what you're looking without designing a custom system yourself. The problem is that the Dutchman system allows your main to gently drape over your boom as it's lowered. A system like the Stack Pack or similar systems cradle your main inside the cover. It doesn't flake the sail as neatly or as gently as the Dutchman. The two systems flake the sails very differently. Having a built in cover like the Stack Pack in combination with the Dutchman system will hinder the proper flaking of the main. The main will be constricted within the cover as it is dropped and it won't flake as intended.
Thank you Ted. Now that I understand the applications, I can make an educated decision.

Ralph

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Last boat I installed a dutchman system...... sail maker had a cover he made that had zippers at the lines. Never had to loosen anything to put cover on. Personally I liked the dutchman as my sail would flake with a few tweaks when we tied up.

Good luck

Greg