Dustless Blasting

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Has anyone ever used Dustless Blasting on there sailboat and were you happy.
I am thinking of switching from ablative bottom paint to a hard bottom paint and my 2007 H-36 hull is in very great shape so don’t want to damage the gel coat.
My new diver is a great diver and cleans so good and spends about 45 minutes cleaning
and so my ablative paint is wearing off faster and so I think a hard bottom paint would be better.
They say need to remove all the ablative paint before putting on a hard bottom paint.
Nick

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would be in interested in the answers to this question too. As a trailersailer, Dragonfly would probably be better off with a hard bottom paint than an ablative paint. I don't have experience with either on a trailersailer. I would imagine an ablative paint would wear more on the bunks.
I'm only thinking about this because I hope to get in some longer sails in ocean waters. Maybe even a several weeks between hauling out. I don't know what growth rates are, so maybe not a concern at all.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@Will Gilmore I think the hard bottom paints go bad if they are exposed to air so that is why most trailer sailboats have ablative. I might be wrong about this but I think I've heard this said more than once.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Nick years back had a guy blast the bottom on the Endeavour and was very happy with the results. He also had a boat at the time in Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage. Don't know if he is still around. Maybe call the office there and ask for Brady as Lisa in the office might not know about him. It was $1200 at the time.

About the bottom paint on a trailer boat (not Nick's) I also wouldn't go with a hard paint from what I've heard.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-outside-mods/outside-index.html

We have Sea Hawk's Cukote on both boats and have been very happy with it. It is a semi-hard ablative ...

https://www.seahawkpaints.com/product/cukote/

... that can rub off but doesn't rub off very easily. We used it on the Endeavour also since it is on stands in the yard for months at a time, so similar to a trailer boat. It has stood up very well on the Mac after some long trips in the water and on the highway. After 3 months in salt water with the Mac I had some 1/8" barnacles starting to grow but they scrapped off with a credit card,

Sumner
=============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On my trailer boat... daysailed. Not left in the water for more than 2 days when over nightingale. I used the gel coat and cleaned or wax/polished it a couple of times a season. No problem. 15 foot boat took all of 90 minutes. Easy to maintain. Mostly freshwater sailing. Non of the issues with a in water all the time boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my trailer boat... daysailed. Not left in the water for more than 2 days when over nightingale. I used the gel coat and cleaned or wax/polished it a couple of times a season. No problem. 15 foot boat took all of 90 minutes. Easy to maintain. Mostly freshwater sailing. Non of the issues with a in water all the time boat.
:plus:

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Multiseason ablative is the only way to go on a trailer sailer. I’ve used Pettit Vivid (the copper kind, not the eco version) with good success. It’s good but not great, but the reason I recommend it for this application is that it is hard.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Summer
Where are you these days in Florida????
Right now with the Endeavour at Marco Island headed towards Little Shark and then Marathon tomorrow. If all is well there then on to the Bahamas the first good weather window, which might be Sunday.

We were at the yard for a month but really busy as I had to pull the engine/transmission out to have the transmission rebuilt (it had blown the front seal). A lot of work so didn't get out much. Hope you guys are good,

Sumner
================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas