Dumb and dummer trying to win Darwin award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
In my neck of the woods there is licensing directed at operators of jetskis and of course they must be registered. That pretty much stopped the rental outfits and eliminated the ongoing rescue and enforcement load on the public.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Agreed.... But for every one person who says this, ten people will decry the over-reach of government into private afffaris, like boating.

Are you suggesting licensing for jetskiing? Then for sailing? Do you have one? ;^)
Yes, you are right. It was more of a logical/personal responsibility question. I was thinking more along the lines of anytime we let people ride our jetskis, we gave them some basic personal instruction including which side you needed to flip it over from, otherwise you take a good chance of getting water trapped inside the cylinder from the exhaust. (we also had the philosophy that if you don't get thrown off at least once, you are not pushing it hard enough to have fun)

As Gunni mentioned, several states have enacted licensing, which includes passing an online boater safety course. While I am generally against gov intrusion, the online course is pretty non-intrusive.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The dog would have been smarter and jumped out way before he got that far down the jetty.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
16 October, 2016. A bunch of moboheads decided they would hold an unsanctioned, unpermitted speed race on the Potomac along the Virginia redneck riviera. This is actually in Maryland waters and yes, the two contestants won the Darwin trophy. Note this accident takes place at the end of the measured mile "Potomac River Radar Run". They were reported to be traveling at 140 mph. Note the close proximity of spectator boats.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
16 October, 2016. A bunch of moboheads decided they would hold an unsanctioned, unpermitted speed race on the Potomac along the Virginia redneck riviera. This is actually in Maryland waters and yes, the two contestants won the Darwin trophy. Note this accident takes place at the end of the measured mile "Potomac River Radar Run". They were reported to be traveling at 140 mph. Note the close proximity of spectator boats.
Did they live?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Could have been worse. In June 2015 a hydroplane race at Kent Narrows (across the bay from Annapolis) resulted in the death of a 7 year old girl who was sitting on her family's boat and the injury of about 10 others when a race boat plowed the dock at 140 mph.

Dec 16, 2008
Pearson 422 FL & CT
You've got to be kidding ... right?????
Kidding? No, why?

Yes I am very aware that Toronto is not the heart of French Canada but some French speakers have been known to wander south of Quebec.

And yes, most of my French Canadian friends speak better English than I do but I've run into a few that didn't. Alternatively, the OP might be a transplant from another country. I've heard Canada, unlike the US, isn't banning immigration.

Or he could be a Newfie. I'm not sure what language they speak there.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
If you were to wander south from Quebec...you would be in the USA.
Google is your friend.

Dec 16, 2008
Pearson 422 FL & CT
If you were to wander south from Quebec...you would be in the USA.
Google is your friend.
Well Quebec is a city and a province. Don't need google to know that.

Wander south from the western side of the province and you will indeed run into Toronto. From the city, OK wander SW to hit Toronto or 100 miles south and you would then be in the US.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
After the Canadian wall, then what? Build another one on the beaches?
No, I think you missed the point of my rebuttal to your snide comment. Canada appears to be uneasy with illegal immigration as is the U.S. I would speculate that Canada is more strict in regard to enforcement of immigration laws than the U.S. has been. You led us into a geo-political bent with this thread, I merely responded. Obviously, it has no place in this forum.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Scotty, we reserve the right to bash Toronto. You guys have enough of your own targets without our help. :)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Up here in the Great White, (a college town), we drown two or three kids every other year due to strong rips.
So the City bought the beach "life guards" a jet ski to aid in "rescues".
Last year the 19 year old lifesaver asked the marina staff on how to start the SeaDoo. Then promptly waked every boat in the marina on her way to the life guard station.
Thats Darwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.