Dubious science from those who should know better

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
So, three choices?

In 10 trials, your "favored" colored of three would have to be hit at least 6 times for there to be significance, assuming all colors have an otherwise equal chance of being hit. With 5 trials, you'd need to see at least 4 hits on the favored color; with 3 trials you'd need 3 hits, etc.
My experience has been consistent with these parameters many times, but not every time. I have also noticed a correlation between which color gets hit & what types of forage food are in the area at the time. Many others have reported similar findings.

This is not a smoking gun, but it is enough to make me wonder.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My brother and I use to troll side by side for days at a time. He often got up before I did and when I heard the whine of his reel from a mackeral hitting it, I'd jump up and get my gear in the water. Same rig, side by side, sometimes 10 to 12 hours at a time. He caught significantly more fish than I. Then, one morning, he slept in. I hooked a nice kingfish. 30 seconds later, he was right there with his rig in the water. I caught them for the rest of the day and he stayed dish free. My conclusion, the first hit left scent that assured more hits than the other lures. The fish, presented with two similar lures, chose the one that smelled most like fish.

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
My brother and I use to troll side by side for days at a time. He often got up before I did and when I heard the whine of his reel from a mackeral hitting it, I'd jump up and get my gear in the water. Same rig, side by side, sometimes 10 to 12 hours at a time. He caught significantly more fish than I. Then, one morning, he slept in. I hooked a nice kingfish. 30 seconds later, he was right there with his rig in the water. I caught them for the rest of the day and he stayed dish free. My conclusion, the first hit left scent that assured more hits than the other lures. The fish, presented with two similar lures, chose the one that smelled most like fish.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I don't buy that, because after your first fish, whether the first of the day or tenth, your lure would now smell "fishy" too. I've no explination, buy yours doesn't suit me. lol

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Capta,
You're right, but you see, the only time I'd have a chance was when my brother hooked a fish and didn't have it in the water while he was taking it off the hook. Then, if I caught a fish, it would be on one of those occasions. A pretty small window. I took to reeling in with him and dragging my lure across his catch.
Intensity of smell seemed to have something to do with it too. I don't know, just reporting my experiences and my thoughts.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There are similar speed restrictions (10 knots) for the large container ships passing through the east Santa Barbara Channel off southern California. It's a good thing for the whales AND for the sail boaters that must cross the "traffic lanes" between the mainland and the islands.:biggrin:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Notice this boat is painted like the Whales, even some stripes.
Whales.jpg

Are they celebrating a birth of the "Boat/Calf"?

I sure hope the whales landed away from those fisherman.
Looks like the first one went to the Left.
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is good their bottom isn't red.
It actually looks like a whale feeding frenzy.
Speaking of bad science by those who should know better.

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
You cite good information & present logical conclusions here & also in the other parts of your post that I did not quote. It would all seem to fall into place for me if it wasn't for one thing. When I troll 3 different colors of the same fishing lure, Often, only one color will get hit on a particular day, even when I move that lure to a different position in the spread. This has happened too many times to be statistically insignificant. While this is not as earth shaking as the "UV Catastrophe", it does leave me scratching my head a bit.
We fish a lot behind the sailboat and I have spent a good bit of my professional career on the water running sportfishing boats. Though I agree that certain colors work better than others, I'm not so sure it is a factor of color alone so much as a color in relation to the water color and boat speed. At 5 to 6 knots I will get approximately 1/3 the strikes on more specific colors than I will get at 10 to 12 knots and where color seems a lot less relevant. As I try to get my lures to resemble a baitfish rentering the water after jumping, with all the bubbles and action of the re-entry, I don't see color as that important.
What I find most interesting though, is that some colors just don't work for me at all (like pink), yet are the favorite of several of my West Indian friends who are commercial fishermen. Though we are both trolling hand lines, we obviously fish at different speeds and with different methods, but in the same waters, but we are both productive.
Just a few of our catches over the last few seasons.
marlin 3-9-18 ssm.jpg

wahoo sm.jpg

two dolphins 3 (2).JPG

capta

Jun 4, 2009
The last picture looks like Dolphins [fish].
We hand troll too, from time to time. You might try one of these to put your baits at the right depths.
https://thetackleroom.com/product/fishing-planer/
There are different sizes and depth control.
Jim...
Planers do not work well @ the speeds Skipping Stone generally sails. Anyway, I like to watch my lures and get them working just right.
We could increase our catch considerably were we to add Ballyhoo to the lures, but I'm not a fan of keeping bait in the food freezers. For me the challenge is to get the fish to hit a bit of plastic: anybody can catch fish using bait!
Fishing has gotten a lot harder since the long liners have begun plying their murderous slaughter around the Grenadines. Even barracuda have become relatively rare over the last 5 years.