Dual Helms on Hunter 45DS

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
I am looking at buying a hunter 44ds or 45DS. I like all of the features of the 45DS but I am concerned about the dual helms as far additional mechanics and possibility of failure. Also the visibility of navigational screens. Would someone who owns a 45DS comment on these two features.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I've always wondered ever since I first saw duel helm set up. If it's 2 entire different mechanical systems all way back to rudder or if one helm breaks they both break situation

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Have dual helms on my Hunter 50. I do not think the system adds any real increased possibility of failure. The dual helms connect to a common link, so there is little additional to go wrong. Perhaps the dual helms are more reliable as you have some redundancy in the system.

The visibility of the chartplotter is not as good as it is in a design like a Hunter 41, where the screen is right in front of you at the helm. I have not though found in 2 years of ownership this to be a problem. I do prefer the dual helm design for many reasons.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I recently ordered a new MH40 directly from Marlow Hunter. Among the many questions I had, I asked for information about the dual helm steering system. I had concerns about the cable and chain dual helm systems I have seen on other boats. I was told that the MH40 uses a Lewmar Mamba steering system that consists of hard mounted gear boxes, torque tubes and universal joints, the same system used on high end ocean sailing yachts (including Oyster and Halberg Rassy). The Lewmar information MH sent me included a cross-reference table of Boat Models with Lewmar part numbers. The table indicated that the Hunter 45CC has a Mamba steering system with their Integra Autopilot drive.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Bob R
Congratulations! The MH40 looks like a great boat, was aboard one this summer. Glad to hear Hunter is building boats. How was it dealing directly with the factory?

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
It has been a pleasure working with Marlow Hunter. They are very proud of the boats they build and very helpful and flexible in working with me outfitting the boat. We leave tomorrow for a month long trip to Florida to visit family and friends and will be making our second stop at the factory in Alachua to see progress on the boat. Assembly should be finished in April and the boat shipped to Annapolis in May.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Jack,
I have a 44AC and my good friend and dockmate has the 45 DS. He upgraded a few years ago from the 41 DS. We are always comparing our boats and to the best of my knowledge he has never had a mechanical issue with the dual helms. The only difference other than location of the chart plotter which is not a real problem for him, is that the 44AC and I'm assuming the 44DS cockpit seems to have more space (longer) for adults to sit as you don't lose the cocpit space for the dual helms as you do on the 45AC. Ultimately however I would think it comes down to a matter of preference.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I recently ordered a new MH40 directly from Marlow Hunter. Among the many questions I had, I asked for information about the dual helm steering system. I had concerns about the cable and chain dual helm systems I have seen on other boats. I was told that the MH40 uses a Lewmar Mamba steering system that consists of hard mounted gear boxes, torque tubes and universal joints, the same system used on high end ocean sailing yachts (including Oyster and Halberg Rassy). The Lewmar information MH sent me included a cross-reference table of Boat Models with Lewmar part numbers. The table indicated that the Hunter 45CC has a Mamba steering system with their Integra Autopilot drive.
The Mamba system is BY FAR the best steering system on the market. It astounds me that Hunter installs it as standard, as it costs 3x the price of cable .
Advantages are:
No slack & slop
Very easy to mount autopilot motor.
Will not loosen up over time like cable
On a dual helm system, the cable systems have very long cable lengths, which continually stretch. If you try & tighten them, it destroys the idler pulleys.
On a cable system, if the cable snaps, you are screwed. The mamba is completely independent port & stbd gear boxes & link arms.
In summary, it is a fantastic system