DTOP 2019 Decal Renewal

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is an Update on the Decal purchase for boats greater than 30 feet wanting to sale back into the US.
We all know that if you want to bring your boat back to the US you need to visit with Customs. If your boat is greater than 30 feet you need a Decal from DTOP. You can pay for it at a Customs Office, or you can order it online through the DTOPS Program.
I placed my order on the 17th of December. I received an email message on the 18 of March that my application had finished processing. The letter for mailing the decal to me was postmarked on the 25th of March and it arrived in my mailbox March 30th.
If you need it in a hurry. Pay the Customs Officer.
It is said you can use the printed copy of your application receipt as proof.
You take the online approach and wait.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Here is an Update on the Decal purchase for boats greater than 30 feet wanting to sale back into the US.
We all know that if you want to bring your boat back to the US you need to visit with Customs. If your boat is greater than 30 feet you need a Decal from DTOP. You can pay for it at a Customs Office, or you can order it online through the DTOPS Program.
I placed my order on the 17th of December. I received an email message on the 18 of March that my application had finished processing. The letter for mailing the decal to me was postmarked on the 25th of March and it arrived in my mailbox March 30th.
If you need it in a hurry. Pay the Customs Officer.
It is said you can use the printed copy of your application receipt as proof.
You take the online approach and wait.
I sent mine in a few weeks ago, haven't heard back. In all fairness to the people who process the renewals, you did send it in about a week before the government shut down and the decals are an annual decal that all have the same expiration date, December 31. I believe the same office processes all the decals for all the trucks and planes that cross the border as well as the recreational boats. Your point is well taken at the moment, if you are in a hurry, paying at the border may be a better option this year. We won't need ours until July or August, I think we're good.

Oct 22, 2014
I would agree, you appear to have the time on your side.
It was a bit disconcerting that the Email message said "Fulfillment Complete. Your order number XXXXX purchased on 12-17-2018 ..... has been fulfilled and will be arriving according to the shipping terms you selected." and then nothing arrived in the mail the 5 business days of that week. And nothing arrived in the mail the next 5 business days. I know the post office is considered slow, but first class mail usually only takes 3 days to cross the country.

That said, I wanted to affirm for my fellow sailors that once you receive the notice give it two weeks and you should see your letter with the decal. Then of course if you don't you can be reassured that the DTOPS office has no available recourse for you. Your calls to the office are taken by a voice recorder and messages are not returned.
Is this a great country or what?

Jan 11, 2014
Only took 3 or 4 days for the USCG to process my documentation renewal, and part of that time was a weekend.

Oct 22, 2014
Your timing was better than mine. Or perhaps the week before the Government shutdown there was an early furlough, or blue flu outbreak. Who can possibly know. It will be of interest to see after the processing if it takes 2 weeks for the envelop to arrive.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Speaking from previous career-Law enforcement 27 years-this is just another tax from the federal government-the sticker is to be placed 18 inches from the entrance way to the cabin (Also on airplanes), so customs can check to make sure there is no contraband on your boat in plain view.

Jan 11, 2014
Speaking from previous career-Law enforcement 27 years-this is just another tax from the federal government-the sticker is to be placed 18 inches from the entrance way to the cabin (Also on airplanes), so customs can check to make sure there is no contraband on your boat in plain view.
I don't see this as a tax since it is not required to operate a vessel. I do see it as a user fee as I am using the CBP services when I re-enter the US. Since we all want some level of border security and it costs money, I don't mind paying for what I use.

What sticks in my craw, is the fee seems to target those who own boats and planes. When I cross the border in my car, a decal is not necessary and there is no entry fee. When I had my 29'11" Sabre 30, I did not have to pay the fee. Now that I have a 36' boat, I have to pay the fee. I just don't see the rationale for charging personal boats and planes a fee and not cars, other than some assumption that because we own boats and planes we are wealthier and can "afford it."

Oct 22, 2014
Are they not paid from the budget of Homeland Security? That is funded by income taxes on the general working population. Taxes that I have already paid to provide this service. Why would I assume that the few boats bigger than 30 feet (these are less than 20% of all the pleasure boats in the US) could possibly cover the payroll of the border patrol asking me questions about my return to the US.

Jan 11, 2014
Are they not paid from the budget of Homeland Security? That is funded by income taxes on the general working population. Taxes that I have already paid to provide this service. Why would I assume that the few boats bigger than 30 feet (these are less than 20% of all the pleasure boats in the US) could possibly cover the payroll of the border patrol asking me questions about my return to the US.
Yes, CBP could be paid for entirely by federal income taxes and all government services could be paid by federal income taxes, but that would mean increasing the federal income tax. That, however introduces a fairness issue. Should someone who derives little or no benefit from recreational boaters crossing the border pay for us to consume CBP services for our recreational pleasure? And so we have user fees. A parallel might be National Parks. There is value to the whole country to have national parks, but should everyone pay for the total cost? Or should those of us who go to National Parks pay a little extra to support the parks we use? And that is what the Decal fee does, pays a small part of border control, the part we choose to use for recreation.

Again, what irks me is the seemingly arbitrary nature of the fee. If I drive to Kingston Ontario and cross the border in my car I only pay a bridge toll to underwrite the cost of the bridge. If I sail to Kingston and return to the US I have to have a decal to enter the country. That to me is the bigger issue. Why is crossing the border on a boat cost more than driving? In fact, now that the ROAM app is up and running, my border crossing in a boat is completely automated. And why does a boat that is 30'1:" required to have the decal and a boat that is 29'11" not?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I would be willing to bet the cost of administrating this decal is more than it takes in...

Jan 11, 2014
I would be willing to bet the cost of administrating this decal is more than it takes in...
Actually, no. I don't have time to look up the reference, however there is a federal regulation that requires fees to reflect the actual cost of administering the fees. I think it is part of the Federal Paperwork Reduction Act and I think there is a reference to it on the USCG Documentation website.

Jan 11, 2014
On this we can agree.
And as to the new value. Has the cost for the crossing really increased 12% plus?
It is my hope that we are not paying to have the cost reevaluated each year and the recent 12% increase reflects the inflation adjusted cost over a 5 or 6 year period. With a fee of ~$26 adjusting for a 2% inflation rate each year would cost more than it is worth.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
It is for any boat entering the US from foreign country. Foreign boats entering can pay when they clear customs. It is not required for going into Canada, only when you come back.
Never heard of it before. And didn't need it to go or come from Bahamas

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have traveled by boat to Mexico for 12 of the last 17 years. I have only been asked once about the decal but it is in plain view. I didn't see them look for it though. The time I was asked, they were training someone. I sent my application in about December and got it a few weeks ago.

Jan 11, 2014
I have traveled by boat to Mexico for 12 of the last 17 years. I have only been asked once about the decal but it is in plain view. I didn't see them look for it though. The time I was asked, they were training someone. I sent my application in about December and got it a few weeks ago.
There often seems to be regional variation on what the CBP asks. In my neck of the woods they always ask. Once they threatened to measure my boat to prove that my 29'11" Sabre 30 was indeed a 30' foot boat and I needed the decal, even though the USCG Documentation listed the boat as 29.9 feet long.