DSC Test Call

Aug 4, 2018
Pearson Yachts 39-II Punta Gorda, FL
Good point there... I did reach out to the local CG station.. they can't help with any testing.. You just have to rely on IT JUST WORK'S right! My new Standard Horizon radio was shipped back and all they did was send me a refurb one.. The USCG station wanted to know what happened and all Standard Horizon could say "NO PROBLEM FOUND!" would you expect any other responses! LOL, No I guess not... I now have a new one and have actually tested it out for real. ICOM you the.... Capt. Rob
Capt. Rob, could you tell us more, please, about your testing "out for real" your new DSC VHF?
  • What did you do to test it? Did your local CG station sanction your pressing the distress button while they monitored?
  • Were the test results Pass or Fail? Details?
  • Did you conclude your older radio did not work right but the new one did?
  • Is the new one you refer to the refurb'ed Std Horizon or some even newer model radio?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I received one of those DSC Alert calls last summer. While on a reach with the wind full in the sails the alert screamed. I listened and the individual called MayDay we're on fire. I listened... No responses. Again Mayday.. I called he caller to verify his location. (About 2 miles west from my position). Told him on VHF16 I was altering course and ETA about 15 minutes. He went on to chat with CG who finally answered. While in route 2 other boats showed up and took the crew aboard while the skipper stayed to be sure the fire was out and await a tow. After 10 minutes (tense for me) we confirmed he was ok and had assistance. I returned to original course.
Listening to the exchange once the fire was out, the CG concern was for a spill - contamination and hazmat problems.

Did DSC work? Yes. it got my immediate attention, and I had his coordinates and direct communication when no one else answered his plea. That I was too far away to render immediate assistance was of no consequence as others also hearing the call responded in the same manner. Nearest CG station was 30 minutes away. Washington State Ferries did not reach out even though they were 200 yards away.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Let me add this to your problem is..lol I too ran DSC test to get looped back ok.. However, When I really needed it... IT FAILED to send an emergency to the USCG with any information. The DSC around New England works off of towers and not satellites unless you have that system installed. I was on rocks last season and had to use my DCS button and no contact with USCG. The coast guard called my cellphone and explained they did not get me DCS signal. So I pressed it while they were on the phone with me.. NO WORKIE... Just use CH16 for help and the DCS. IMO
DSC doesn't work off of satellites. It never did. It works off of VHF band transmission, direct to the receiving station. There are no automatic repeater stations that I am aware of. If you are out of VHF range, DSC will not work. Lack of DSC satellite access is not unique to New England. It is world wide.

PLBs & EPIRBs work off of satellites. It's a different system.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I had to use dsc for an actual emergency last season. I was not impressed with the coast guard response. The system is designed for them to contact you to gather more information. With a lone person in the water a distance from our boat it was so long a delay after activation of dcs, I gave up and sent a mayday on 16. They heard the transmission on 16 okay as did other faster boats in the area who reached the person in time. What really bothered me was inspite of very specific location radioed they insisted on lat long....quess what, when dcs is activated the lat long screen is deactivated and I can find nothing in the manual on how to restore it short of powering off.
IMO there are a lot of bugs and unanswered questions in the system that have not been considered or addressed. The mere fact that this discussion shows users are unsure how to even test the system raises questions on its reliability in real emergencies.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Capt. Rob, could you tell us more, please, about your testing "out for real" your new DSC VHF?
  • What did you do to test it? Did your local CG station sanction your pressing the distress button while they monitored?
  • Were the test results Pass or Fail? Details?
  • Did you conclude your older radio did not work right but the new one did?
  • Is the new one you refer to the refurb'ed Std Horizon or some even newer model radio?
Let me start with this! I called a reputable Marine electronics company and had them install and do the testing of the new
The EXPLORER GPS (GX1700) makes DSC easy peasy. After the installation and testing was done and they did a USCG loopback test (I WAS There for it.) the acknowledgment sound and all test passed good! The built-in GPS was working good.. As far as I could hear and see all was good. We made a call to an MMSI number..his wife..lol bada-bing--bata-boom.
The only thing we didn't do was to test the actual DSC button with the USCG. I used the VHF radio fine no problems yet. about 2 day later I sailed south to Southport Maine and hit the rocks. First thing I did was HIT THAT DSC on my remote mic and then started to get the main-sail and ferling down and rooled up and then started working on saving the vessel. Next went back to the radio because I didn't hear anything on the radio. Proceeded to the main radio below and face plate was showing LON-LAT number with the word DESTRESS on it. I picked up the mike and saw ch16 on it and proceded to make a MAYDAY call and the unit shut-OFF. and repowered it and it was dead nothing. In the meantime, the resort-spa called the USCG and gave them my Cell number in which they called me on the cell.. and kept me on the cell till I had Sea Tow guys to help. I gave them my halyard line and they were able to get me off with little effort. we pulled where the bow slid down into the water and the stern went up into the air then swung about 90deg off the rocks to deep water then to a mooring for safety. The boat was taking on water through the depth sensor but wasn't too bad, maybe 1 gal 10 min. The next thing was to get hauled out. because the depth sensor was plastic I assumed it was cracked. I put on my dive mask and went overboard to inspect it and sure enough, it was cracked in one place. So I got my JB putty and proceeded to patch the crack.. It worked great and water slowed way down. So I proceeded jumped over to inspect the putty and it was all good. So now it was time to troubleshoot my SH-VHF. Tried to power it up and never came back on. checked power with DVM going into the unit 12VDC all good. Now I was down to my handheld VHF older but OLD RELIABLE. When I contacted Standard Horizon about what was found the said we were sorry and we will send you a new unit, however, first we need you to send your unit back to us first and we will send you one right out. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for shipment. I said what? The whole summers gone by then! So I said I'll pay for a new one you FED-X to me now and when you get mine FED-X to CA you credit my card back. they agreed with that. Next day I shipped mine and later I got from FED-X the new one..NOT! It was a used one with the owner's tape still on the bottom of the unit Mike from Texas and stating radio will not turn on...LOL, I had to laugh. I had to now call the support lady back and say what a minute I paid full price for a new radio this is used. She said no it comes with a full warranty as a new and is treated as new, just refurbished. YA SEE WHY I SWITCHED TO ICOM. Yes, after 4 months passed SH sent me back my old radio and never reimbursed my card. And never heard from them since the problem. They did send repair results.. On a piece of scrap paper, the hand writes "NO PROBLEMS FOUND!" So now I have two POS..LOL Ya that really makes me feel safe.. Good job Standard Horizon
I hope this makes you think about what they are selling you. Regards Capt. Rob

Aug 4, 2018
Capt. Rob, thanks for all of that. It sure shows SH in a bad light.

I gather now in your earlier comment you meant you have since "tested for real" your new ICOM DSC VHF. Could you tell us:
  • What did you do to test the new ICOM for real? Did your local CG station sanction your pressing the distress button while they monitored?
  • Were the for real test results Pass or Fail? Details?
  • Were you able to verify the USCG or other receiving station got your GPS coordinates?

Oct 22, 2014
Capt. Rob, thanks for all of that. It sure shows SH in a bad light.

I gather now in your earlier comment you meant you have since "tested for real" your new ICOM DSC VHF. Could you tell us:
  • What did you do to test the new ICOM for real? Did your local CG station sanction your pressing the distress button while they monitored?
  • Were the for real test results Pass or Fail? Details?
  • Were you able to verify the USCG or other receiving station got your GPS coordinates?
After the installation of my new ICOM unit. I tested by causing an emergency Press the button and wait for the responses and then canceled the emergency. I saw a log in the water and wanted to alert the USCG of its position for other boats to avoid the area...lol That is the only test I ran but, that really checked the unit out. lol, The loopback test transmits to a computer that responds back but it doesn't tell you that the USCG got the message. So you really don't know "Does it really work properly". USCG basically are running blindly at this point. They are depending on the computer to send them an alert that you pushed your button. However, according to the USCG station in Rockland, they don't care about your MMSI information. All they know is alert was sent and off they go. When asked about the MMSI, they don't right now care about an MMSI number and it will be some time before it's really implemented and the vessel data is shared between public and government agencies. Right know the USCG has a separate system that allows them to view your vessel information as it is only as good as the application of your current MMSI number. USCG responds to an emergency and not an emergency dependent on data that may or may not be good. Oh! Buy the way did you update you vessel information when you sold you 50foot sailboat to BILLY that lives in Texas! You kept your radio and MMSI and downsized to a 19ft motorboat. You press that button they're going to be looking for a 50Foot sailboat that's in trouble. lol The USCG not ready to take on all boats yet. At some point in future, you will register your vessel with the FEDs and they will issue you an MMSI like Social Security Number that stays with you for life till you sell or destroy your vessel. Your MMSI number goes with you on your radio good or bad. You buy a new radio insert your MMSI number and now your on your way. However, the old radio must be deactivated or destroyed after the new radio is implemented. And of course, this may change and time will tell.

Oct 22, 2014
njlarry, what brand and model DSC radio were you using in that emergency distress call?

The EXPLORER GPS (GX1700) DSC

With an internal 12 Channel GPS built into the front panel, there is no need to hassle with wiring the radio to a GPS for DSC.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So if I get a radio from a cruise ship and keep their MMSI number, the USCG would send a lot of responders to rescue me when I’m in trouble. Likewise if you had someone’s Epirb and your name wasn’t filed with the NOAA folks. Then you get rescued what are they going to do, throw you back?

Oct 22, 2014
So if I get a radio from a cruise ship and keep their MMSI number, the USCG would send a lot of responders to rescue me when I’m in trouble. Likewise, if you had someone’s Epirb and your name wasn’t filed with the NOAA folks. Then you get rescued what are they going to do, throw you back?
first thing think about what you are saying here all-u-get! and yes and no. Yes, If you took a USCG documented vessels radio and put it on your boat and used it on an emergency DCS call for help, They would automatically get your particulars about your vessel 250-foot cruise ship registered Delaware Longitude - Lat name vessel Disney Fun ship - max passengers 350 ... Etc.. On the General BoatUS MMSI that does not show up when an alarm goes off, Just the Long-Lat and MMSI No. is displayed for them to now call you, on the radio to validate your alarm and situation. Now if they want to know more they have another program to look at for your information supplied when you registered for your MMSI # in the USA waters only.

To leave the USA waters you must (should) apply for a US/international MMSI number included too will be a photo of the ship... That's their plan. Anyway, The point is they have a lot of people that will, of course, break the rules but they will give out fines hefty. To be licensed USCG Capt. 6 Pac, I even have to even have a TWIC card from homeland security which includes Fingerprints too. LOL Its all changing and becoming costly too.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
It was a standard horizon hand held, forget the model number.
Much of the above points to the terrible confusion about the dsc system. What if you have more than one boat, more than one radio, or take a hand held on a different boat? Ask six different people what to do when you sell and get a new boat and there are six different answers.
That is too much confusion for a system that is to give basic safety communication. If the cg isnt getting all the information at this date there is also very poor implementation.
I really wonder if perhaps dsc has been oversold.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
It's not really that confusing:

If you get your mmsi # from the FCC, the # stays with the boat, period. You can't transfer it. The only way that # can be used again, is if you cancel the registration first. It is transferable to another owner of that boat, but they would probably have to pay a fee for this. Handheld radios that are used with that boat can be programmed with the same # but they need to stay with the that boat.

The mmsi #s you get from BoatUS can be transferred to the new owner if you sell the boat. You can also transfer the # to another boat if you move the radio and update your boat info with them. The owner of the mmsi # first has to release the # to BoatUS to make the transfer to another owner.

That said, there's nothing in the system that would prevent someone from selling a used radio with an existing mmsi # programmed into it. That's up to the seller or the buyer to make sure the existing # gets wiped before the radio is used.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
It's not really that confusing:

If you get your mmsi # from the FCC, the # stays with the boat, period. You can't transfer it. The only way that # can be used again, is if you cancel the registration first. It is transferable to another owner of that boat, but they would probably have to pay a fee for this. Handheld radios that are used with that boat can be programmed with the same # but they need to stay with the that boat.

The mmsi #s you get from BoatUS can be transferred to the new owner if you sell the boat. You can also transfer the # to another boat if you move the radio and update your boat info with them. The owner of the mmsi # first has to release the # to BoatUS to make the transfer to another owner.

That said, there's nothing in the system that would prevent someone from selling a used radio with an existing mmsi # programmed into it. That's up to the seller or the buyer to make sure the existing # gets wiped before the radio is used.
You stated! If you get your mmsi # from the FCC, the # stays with the boat, period. You can't transfer it. The only way that # can be used again, is if you cancel the registration first. Your right, However, If you take the equipment out and install it into another vessel and use it they will think you are the old vessel you sold. Without you canceling registration FIRST they don't know you are in a 19-foot sailboat and not a 100-foot vessel you sold. The database FCC uses is not part of the complete system yet! Can they look up this info, yes but that takes time! that they don't have to react to DSC alarms. And that is why the USCG doesn't use any database to respond to a DCS Destress Call. Too many holes right now. In theory, it sounds good but we all know the general public doesn't have time to deal with all this. They just want to be on the water and not deal with the right way to do it. Experienced vessel owners know how this affects an outcome and take it seriously.
In an ideal world, we should all do the right thing. But, when you come out with change and implement it like a child, this is what you get when "One hand, doesn't know what the others doing. "

Aug 4, 2018
Thanks again, Capt. Rob.
Who responded to your distress button test? Did USCG respond that time? Did other vessels?
Did those who responded receive your GPS coordinates as part of your DCS automated call?

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks again, Capt. Rob.
Who responded to your distress button test? Did USCG respond that time? Did other vessels?
Did those who responded receive your GPS coordinates as part of your DCS automated call?
Yes! USCG and others did and yes canceled the distress call about a " log floating in the water" It worked the way it should too all info received properly. However, It was not a test I did see a log in the water it was 2feet long and 10inches in dia. OOPs sorry..

Aug 4, 2018
I had to use dsc for an actual emergency last season. I was not impressed with the coast guard response. The system is designed for them to contact you to gather more information. With a lone person in the water a distance from our boat it was so long a delay after activation of dcs, I gave up and sent a mayday on 16. They heard the transmission on 16 okay as did other faster boats in the area who reached the person in time. What really bothered me was inspite of very specific location radioed they insisted on lat long....quess what, when dcs is activated the lat long screen is deactivated and I can find nothing in the manual on how to restore it short of powering off.
IMO there are a lot of bugs and unanswered questions in the system that have not been considered or addressed. The mere fact that this discussion shows users are unsure how to even test the system raises questions on its reliability in real emergencies.
From the GX 1700 Manual:
upload_2019-3-19_15-15-10.png

This seems to show that when "the DCS is activated" your GPS lat/lon is displayed on the Distress Alert screen at least until you receive an "ACK" from some station. To call someone and tell them your lat/lon from your microphone you can press the PAUSE soft key shown above.

If you have gotten the "ACK", the screen shows:
upload_2019-3-19_15-32-22.png

Press the OK soft key or the 16/9 key to exit the distress alert. This will take you to your normal display, which also shows the lat/lon of your radio's GPS:

upload_2019-3-19_15-34-58.png

where you can read it and speak it.
Do any of these screens look like what you encountered when you were having trouble replying to the USCG in your ch 16 MayDay converstion with them?

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
The USCG suggests this:
For older radios not having a test call capability, testing can only be performed by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Indentity (MMSI).
What happens when You do that?