Dropping keel

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Has anyone detached the keel, and just kept the raised up boat off the trailer above it?

My swing keel is in good shape overall, but needs new paint and a touch up scraping on the parts normally inaccessible due to the trailer. I also want to replace the turning ball, keel cable and keel bolts.

I was thinking of using 5 screw-type boat stands, and just raising the boat straight up 13 inches, which is the maximum adjustment on the stands. The back half of the keel is already well supported by the trailer itself, and I would build a cradle with side posts for the front end of the keel. I would just leave the trailer in place, chocked stationary under the boat.

My thinking on this is, it might make it easier to line the keel bolts back up, when it comes time to re-attach the keel to the boat. A drawback might be, if it doesn't line up when the boat is lowered, the keel is pretty much stuck where it is, and wouldn't already be on a moveable dolly arrangement.

My real initial concern is lining up the keel bolts, after all 4 have been disconnected - and that being troublesome. I thought is this might be a simpler method, but then again, it could be a real problem if the boat shifts at all. Have many had trouble reinstalling the keel?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Lots of options for raising the boat -- your boat jack concept is valid. Plenty of posts in the forum on excellent and varied ways to accomplish. On re-attaching keel: I would heartily recommend the all thread option-- no way in my opinion that you will successfully detach the keel completely and ever line that 500# hunk of steel back up for "easy" attachment. In my case a combination of the keel winch for the aft lift and the tranny jack for the foreward worked really well one handed.

And a captain obvious statement -- we all learned it from the 10 lads before us in the forum, so search widely for keel topics and you will find excellent detail on how others have accomplished the same.

File_000.jpeg

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks pclarksurf - that great photo is easily worth a thousand words right there..

I recall hearing about the all-thread tip, but couldn't quite picture it. That definitely looks like the way to go.

Apr 11, 2017
One of the issues is my entire property has hilly terrain - and there is only about 25 feet of flat driveway. Pulling the trailer out from under the boat could be a little tough due to the angles involved.

Jul 13, 2015
Can’t recall the thread off the top of my head — but others have shimmied the keel out between the slightly elevated hull and the trailer— certainly more challenging mechanically but it’s been done.

Sep 28, 2017
Catalina 22 Southeastern Pennsylvania
Long time lurker here, first post! Maybe I have an oddball trailer, but I was able to jack my trailer up and support it on cribbing, then unbolt and remove the axle and crossmembers under the keel to provide for lowering straight down onto the sled. It's not too bad a job if you have an impact gun to break the rusty crosmember bolts loose). The boat was supported securely in the bunks and I just rolled the sled out under the trailer frame rails to where I worked on it. I got a lot of great tips on the keel restoration, including the all thread trick from this site, the keel is back in the boat and looking good now, thanks everyone.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
One of the issues is my entire property has hilly terrain - and there is only about 25 feet of flat driveway. Pulling the trailer out from under the boat could be a little tough due to the angles involved.
Hills can be your friend. Back the trailer off one side of the hill, and then you only have to jack one side.

When I worked on my keel, I backed the trailer up on car ramps. I did it in the yard and dug a hole so the keel could swing down completely vertical. I never actually unbolted it.

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
Has anyone detached the keel, and just kept the raised up boat off the trailer above it?

My swing keel is in good shape overall, but needs new paint and a touch up scraping on the parts normally inaccessible due to the trailer. I also want to replace the turning ball, keel cable and keel bolts.

I was thinking of using 5 screw-type boat stands, and just raising the boat straight up 13 inches, which is the maximum adjustment on the stands. The back half of the keel is already well supported by the trailer itself, and I would build a cradle with side posts for the front end of the keel. I would just leave the trailer in place, chocked stationary under the boat.

My thinking on this is, it might make it easier to line the keel bolts back up, when it comes time to re-attach the keel to the boat. A drawback might be, if it doesn't line up when the boat is lowered, the keel is pretty much stuck where it is, and wouldn't already be on a moveable dolly arrangement.

My real initial concern is lining up the keel bolts, after all 4 have been disconnected - and that being troublesome. I thought is this might be a simpler method, but then again, it could be a real problem if the boat shifts at all. Have many had trouble reinstalling the keel?
Catalina direct offers a video on removing and refinishing the keel. step by step, it worked for me, I broke two hanger bolts on removal, didn't need to remove my 22 from the trailer, two car jacks and a 2x6 to lift the stern for clearance to roll the keel out the back. keel weight close to 600 lbs. so watch your toes.

Jul 13, 2015
31543604_10214864836151008_52740385918681088_n.jpg
Just be careful-- someone on the facebook group (hopefully not you) nearly dropped their boat and put a bottle jack through the hull).

Also appears to be a 4x4 in use-- I use a well supported 4x6 at 8' with little deflection.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Thanks - I'm waiting for the boat jack stands, and then I'll have a go at it.

I found Brownell boat jack stands with prime shipping - so if anyone is looking, a lot of shipping cost can be saved.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
LOL ... wow! That really puts things in perspective. I'd rather fix multiple jack-holes (hey, that's a good name to call someone!) in my hull than deal with that mess!!

I've never done a keel restoration job, and I really hope I never do. Holes in the hull I can handle! :biggrin:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Here is my keel cradle. I used the 1000# rated cart from harbor freight. Built the cradle over the axles to spread the load. Worked like a champ and easy to maneuver over my sandy and uneven side yard.

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
YIKES!!!! Perhaps he was installing a thru-hull with that bottle jack?!

Boat stands, car jack or bottle jack (under keel properly braced), all thread to re-align...not really that difficult, but think it through and be safe...and yea, uneven terrain can be your friend (if needed)...

or, take it to your local yard, have them put it on stands for a couple weeks, use their forklift to haul it out and back in....think it cost me 2 boat buks...($200). Money well spent IMO...and a helluva lot less hassle/sweat/work...fwiw...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Here is my keel cradle. I used the 1000# rated cart from harbor freight. Built the cradle over the axles to spread the load. Worked like a champ and easy to maneuver over my sandy and uneven side yard.
I wound up just buying one of these HF carts after seeing it here. Don't need it for the keel, but pretty good deal with a coupon-

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I wound up just buying one of these HF carts after seeing it here. Don't need it for the keel, but pretty good deal with a coupon-
Wife was using it to sit while scraping the barnacles too. Multi functional!