Dripping Dripless

Aug 2, 2014
beneteau 361 St Pete
I have a leak at the shaft on my dripless fitting where the shaft enters the collar - anybody know the cure? The shaft is corroded at that point, so not smooth. My mechanic suggested wet and dry sandpaper to fair the shaft again, but seems that will only help the exposed part. Again, wondering if anyone has had the problem and what they did?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Never having one, ican offer nothing but to ask - assuming the name "drip less" can be taken literally, should I assume it means 'less' drip or no drip?

Aug 2, 2014
beneteau 361 St Pete
As in "not supposed to drip". Actually, the idea is to replace the conventional stuffing box with one that does not drip any water into the bilge. I am getting a bit of saltwater in the bilge, but worse is spray when the engine is running that's corroding metallic fittings wherever it reaches, so that is a problem.

Jun 21, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 361 St. Petersburg, FL
What did you end up doing to solve your problem? I'm having the same issue and plan to replace the shaft seal with the same as current (Volvo Penta).

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes clean very fine sand paper also in between the 2 collars put very fine sand paper in between and rotate the shaft with sand paper in between and think they tell you on PYI website how to do this and than check to see if you need to compress 1/2 inch.
I have done this a few times the cleaning part with sand paper in between and spray silicon on the parts and shaft to keep from getting corroded.
Nick

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Are you greasing it with volvo grease?? Mine dripped when I bought the boat as PO was not greasing it. Get a plastic straw squirt grease into it flatten it out ,insert under seal and squeeze in the grease.The next haulout I pulled the shaft put it in a lathe and polished it with 1000 grit ,new volvo seal and grease , I also add a skf forsheda seal in front on the shaft giving 3 sealing surfaces. Mine had a good groove from no grease so I added a flex coupling moving the shaft onto a new surface. Use only volvo grease as other types may harden rubber . Greased every year or 200 hrs and it should not drip for 7 to 10 years. My buddys leaked bad so he put a stainless clamp around it tighten it up after greasing, no leaks for 2 years ,then changed it

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I was told super grease does not hurt any rubber seals and agree use grease keeps the stainless parts and the PSS from pitting and from corrosion.
I use lots Super Grease.
Nick

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I was told super grease does not hurt any rubber seals and agree use grease keeps the stainless parts and the PSS from pitting and from corrosion.
I use lots Super Grease.
Nick
The Beneteau standard is not a PSS though. It's a Volvo seal of very different design. Basically just a rubber collar with a couple of seals that the shaft spins against.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I assume you have the Volvo dripless as most benateau do. Did you burp it at beginning of season? And when was last time you added grease? I burp when I launch boat and grease it every other season... love the Volvo dripless shaft seal..... so far works flawlessly for me!

Good luck
Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My understanding is that dripless units do just that... Drip but LESS. The drip is needed to lubricant and keep the unit cool.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My understanding is that dripless units do just that... Drip but LESS. The drip is needed to lubricant and keep the unit cool.
Not really. There's dripless stuffing for conventional stuffing boxes, which is indeed just drip less as you say. But a different design like the PYI or Volvo seal is truly designed to be dry inside. Heat is carried away by water on the outboard side of the seal. Our Volvo seal hasn't dripped a drop in 5 years, and once it starts dripping it will be past time to replace (or it will be because of a small bit of dirt or corrosion interfering with the seal).

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I converted two CS 36 sailboats over to Volvo dripless this past winter , they were doing motor mounts ,cutlass and one a new shaft ,so I talked them into ditching the stuffing boxes . They both agree excellent upgrade as both bilges are now bone dry

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not really. There's dripless stuffing for conventional stuffing boxes, which is indeed just drip less as you say. But a different design like the PYI or Volvo seal is truly designed to be dry inside. Heat is carried away by water on the outboard side of the seal. Our Volvo seal hasn't dripped a drop in 5 years, and once it starts dripping it will be past time to replace (or it will be because of a small bit of dirt or corrosion interfering with the seal).
Ditto on my LasDrop Gen II. No dripping at all. It has a vent tube so there's no bubble to prevent water from lubricating the seal