drinking water from holding tanks

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I happily drink from my boat's tank. We use the boat a bunch, the tank gets cycled 2-3 times a month. I also drink from my RV's tank. It's water. Came out of the tap. It's safe.

Ok, truth be told, I drink beer too. 'Cause no known pathogens can live in beer. (Or so I'm told)

We've become sooooo bizarre that we need RO systems and bottled water all the time. The rest of the world doesn't. Heck, folks just used to drink from creeks. (yea, I know.. sometimes they got sick.... )

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I keep all my tanks topped off except the waste tank, just in case the zombies come I will be ready to flee off shore. o_O

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I keep all my tanks topped off except the waste tank, just in case the zombies come I will be ready to flea off shore. o_O
Actually I do the same since we have evacuated to the boat three times. One earthquake and two fires.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
After we put our 'new' boat in the water we flushed the water tank the way the PO suggested. It seemed to work but two weeks later the water smelled quite a bit. I found Peggy's method of cleaning out the system, did that, and now the water doesn't smell and tastes fine. I use it for brushing my teeth, coffee, cooking, and a quick drink of water. No problem.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
When we purchased Belle-Vie in 2002, I followed Peggie's re-commissioning recommendations. That was the first and only time and ever since our tank water tastes as if it came straight from the city water tap. I make it a point of alternating tanks topping them off with fresh water regularly.

To keep our crew happy I use a PUR brand sink filter with a few bottles of cold filtered water in the refrigerator at all times. Everything else comes straight from the tap. http://www.target.com/p/pur-advance...g=Pur faucet filter&gclid=[*GCLID*]&gclsrc=ds

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Follow Peggy's instructions once a year and if you cruise and are unsure about the water quality, look into purchasing a SafeH20 system and change the filters and UV light in the spring when you recommission using Peggy's system. We have done both and drink water from our tanks with absolutely no problem, have spent 988 days on our boat in the last 14 years.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Is the bleach method safe for aluminum tanks?
Our tanks have a few "pock narks", one of which was an actual leak. The leak was repaired (plate welded over it) and we use the tanks daily.
While bleach is corrosive, would exposure to a relatively weak solution once a year for a few hours be an issue? Or should people with aluminum tanks be using a different chemical?

Chris

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
While bleach is corrosive, would exposure to a relatively weak solution once a year for a few hours be an issue? Or should people with aluminum tanks be using a different chemical?
While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, its effects are cumulative. So the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated city water in the tank for years. And it’s that cumulative effect that makes it a VERY bad idea to add a little bleach to each fill. Not only does it damage the system, but unless you add enough to make your water taste and smell like a laundry, it’s not enough to do any good.

Btw...the average life of an aluminum water tank is about 20 years. If yours is that old or older, it's prob'ly time to start thinking about replacing it. A top quality plastic tank will last indefinitely.

Apr 24, 2006
That makes perfect sense. Our tanks have only been "used" for ten years at the most, so they should be good for some time yet.

We filter all water on the way in with a carbon filter so there should be little or no chlorine. We also find that the filter removes the smell and taste from the plastic water lines used at most marinas.

So far, so good. We do use your process every spring plus ensure the tank contents are turned over at least biweekly.

Chris

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Another trick that will help your water stay "fresher" longer:

The same critters that thrive in your boat's fresh water plumbing LOVE the dock supply line and your hose that sit in the warm sun, and you certainly don't want to transfer water that's been sitting them to your boat's system. So before filling the tank each time, always let the dock water run long enough to flush out all the water that's been standing in them so that what goes into your boat is coming straight from the water main. You'll know when it's ok to start filling because the water coming from the main will be a lot cooler. If you don't want to just stand there letting the water run, wash your boat or hose down the dock finger.

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I have Bladders they kind of look like IV bags It is the only water I drink on Board every time I come in I empty them completely. While not on the boat the Bladders or empty every time I go out I fill with clean fresh water the water in the Great PNW is I think cleaner than Bottled water. I can notice the difference when I drink it I have never ever had any problems but I have also never had a Tank for water I have used the Bladders for a Good long time with no Problems if I am out for long extended cruises I have halazon tablets not sure on the spelling of it but they work to sanitize the water just in case if it has sat for a long time IE 2-3 weeks out where I am in no area where I can get fresh water like in the middle of the Pacific a 1000 miles out you do what you have to just to stay alive it is the Head that get a bit smelly I have never discharged overboard I don't belive in it even though it a Big Ocean

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I've always drank the water from the fresh-water tank. On my previous boats that had plastic tanks, the water always had a "plasticy" taste. But my current boat (Ontario 32) has fibreglass tanks and I find the water practically tasteless. There's a bit of a "hose taste" since the tank is filled from a hose on the dock, but other than that it's not bad.

There's also the issue of using HIGH-QUALITY potable-water hoses for all your fresh-water plumbing. That makes a BIG difference.

Still, my guests insist on drinking bottled water instead...

druid

Apr 24, 2006
I've always drank the water from the fresh-water tank. On my previous boats that had plastic tanks, the water always had a "plasticy" taste. But my current boat (Ontario 32) has fibreglass tanks and I find the water practically tasteless. There's a bit of a "hose taste" since the tank is filled from a hose on the dock, but other than that it's not bad.

There's also the issue of using HIGH-QUALITY potable-water hoses for all your fresh-water plumbing. That makes a BIG difference.

Still, my guests insist on drinking bottled water instead...

druid
Just screw one of those $30 RV filters on the end of your hose and it'll remove the plastic smell (and more).
That and letting it run until cold before filling and the water should have no taste at all.
We use another charcoal filter on the tank outlet to guarantee no taste.

I also don't get the bottled water preference. Tap water is tested almost daily for dozens of substances. I'd rather that than water that comes from an aquifer under a thousand acres of farmland (I know there are exceptions but most bottled water comes from minimally tested springs).

Chris

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... and ever since our tank water tastes as if it came straight from the city water tap.
Our tap water at home tastes like pool water. Most municipal systems do because the government mandates a level of chlorination to transport the water safely in pipes which are coated with biofilm i.e. yuck. At home we use a Brita charcoal filter to make the water taste ok. I also drink bottled water. Spoil yourself. Buy a bottle of FUJI water and taste it next to your tank water. See if you'll go back to tank water. Bottled water can have different tastes based on the minerals in it, the PH or other substances in it. So why is it so difficult to understand that someone may prefer water that they like the taste of?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, its effects are cumulative. So the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated city water in the tank for years. And it’s that cumulative effect that makes it a VERY bad idea to add a little bleach to each fill. Not only does it damage the system, but unless you add enough to make your water taste and smell like a laundry, it’s not enough to do any good.
Peggie,

Have you ever used Iodofor instead of bleach. I use it for sanitizing my beer brewing equipment and it works wonders, does not leave a flavor or smell, and is non corrosive.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Never heard of Idofor before...interesting! After reading the info at the link you provided I'm still not sure it's the right product to recommission a fresh water system...'cuz although most people think only in terms of the tank, it's actually the plumbing-- the molds, mildew, fungi and bacteria which thrive in damp dark places when the water pump isn't on---that's the source of most foul funky water. I question whether the concentration of Idofor is strong enough or stays in the plumbing long enough to kill 'em.
So I need to learn a lot more about Idofor before recommending for or against using it instead of bleach to recommission fresh water systems.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Never heard of Idofor before...interesting! After reading the info at the link you provided I'm still not sure it's the right product to recommission a fresh water system...'cuz although most people think only in terms of the tank, it's actually the plumbing-- the molds, mildew, fungi and bacteria which thrive in damp dark places when the water pump isn't on---that's the source of most foul funky water. I question whether the concentration of Idofor is strong enough or stays in the plumbing long enough to kill 'em.
So I need to learn a lot more about Idofor before recommending for or against using it instead of bleach to recommission fresh water systems.
Bacterial and wild yeast infections are a big no-no in beer brewing as they can ruin the flavor. I flush my entire system with Iodofor between each brew, including pipes, pumps stainless beer kegs, serving taps, plate chillers etc. The thing I like most compared to bleach, is that it is a no rinse treatment which means once you have drained it out of your system you do not need to rinse, you can just refill . It has no odor, and adds no flavor.

It does not remove scale, so when I notice any buildup in my brewing equipment or serving lines, I use another product called Beer Line Cleaner (BLC) which is a Chelated Sodium Hydroxide Solution (30%).

BLC Beer Line Cleaner

BLC Liquid cleaner for draft system lines, including tubing, faucets, and valves. Make a solution by mixing 1 oz. per gallon of warm water, and pump it into your beer lines. BLC needs 15 minutes of contact time to remove deposits, beer stone, etc. Rinse with clean water.

I use both of these product for stainless and plastic items. I do not use brass in brewing as it adds a nasty flavor when exposed to beer.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
We have used bottled water for drinking and for morning coffee for years on our old boat with questionable tankage. The new boat has 3 tanks all of which I keep empty except for when making overnight trips etc. I try to use that water for showers and washing up. We will be adding a water maker to the boat as we continue our outfitting. I will use Peggie's methods to completely clean the tanks and lines this spring before using the system further. At this point we are using the fresh water hookup to the dock.