Drilling hole in tiller for tcf receptacle

Oct 13, 2015
Catalina C309 Stank Paw Slough
i have a forespar tiller extention and have to drill a 7/16 hole in my new tiller for the receptacle. Right now the tiller in on a drill vise sitting on my drill press. All i have to do is turn it on and drill it through.

Before i possibly make a mistake doing this simple task, is there any thing i should be aware of...special drill bit?
Seems like a Straightforward task....drill slowly....get on with life.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just follow the instructions that came with the extension. I know it is your special baby... you've obviously measured correctly... so sooner or later you gotta drill... I think you're ready. You can do it!!!!!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Besides measuring twice, if the sides, top and bottom of an object look the same, I put tape on the three sides I do not want to drill and put an X on the tape.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just place masking tape and mark over the area you are going to drill. It will help prevent the wood from splintering.

Oct 13, 2015
Good morning...thank you all for responding. I had to wait until i heard from someone and i feel like i am on the right path.... i have already done so but will see if there was anything i could have missed in the manuf. sparse instructions. Old tiller extensions, new tiller. Thanks again.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Epoxy would be much better, IMHO ... 5200 is overrated as anything other than an adhesive. Tape the bottom of the hole, fill with epoxy from the top, let it soak a few minutes, pull off the tape, let the remaining epoxy drain out, and wipe clean with acetone.

Oct 13, 2015
Before I drill this thing tonight, one last thought I had. I can use any type of drill bit EXCEPT a spade bit?

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
FWIW, I prefer a forstner bit if you can get it - less tear-out at the edges of the hole. I agree with gene re: epoxy - it'll soak into the wood and give you a waterproof seal.

Oct 13, 2015
i have a forstner set, but not a 7/16th" forstner, can i use a regular bit ( i think it is a metal/wood bit?) ... now what?

Last edited: