Draining the fridge

Aug 15, 2017
Beneteau 311 Fort Walton Beach
Recently bought an 2003 Oceanis 311. I have the original manuals but cannot figure out how to drain the fridge.

Anybody care to guide me through the process??

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Is there a drain at the bottom of the fridge? Make sure it is not capped or plugged and it should drain by gravity into the bilge. Many people cap the drain while the fridge is in use to prevent cold air from draining out. If there is no drain a shop vac sounds like a good option when cleaning out the fridge.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
On the 343 there is a foot pump in front of the sink that is for draining the fridge or for washing dishes with outside water. The lever to switch from fridge to outside water is under the sink. It then drains into the sink. I don't know if it is the same on 311.

Aug 15, 2017
Kappy, of course this could be done this way although it is not how it's designed to be done. I am hoping for someone to point me to the "designed intent" solution

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
on the 351 it is hook directly to the bilge pump with a ball valve under salon seat that switches between bilge and fridge. No smell

Aug 15, 2017
Mechone, mine also - I just cannot figure out the proper positioning of the valves such that the thing drains. I also have a couple of switches on the face of the panel for the bathroom sink that seem to have something to do with removal of water but, again, I haven't figured it out as yet. One of the switches toggles, the other is a depressable button within a rubber sleeve.

Aug 15, 2017
Benny, I just cannot figure out the proper positioning of the valves such that the thing drains. I also have a couple of switches on the face of the panel for the bathroom sink that seem to have something to do with removal of water but, again, I haven't figured it out as yet. One of the switches toggles, the other is a depressable button within a rubber sleeve.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Many heads (bathrooms) have a shower sump to collect water and an electric pump to transfer it to the bilge. There is usually a switch in the head to activate the pump when the shower is in use. I would think the toggle switch is to turn On or Off with the push button switch to manually activate On until the desirable amount of water is expelled. Can't help much with this as I never use the shower in the head to avoid the clean up; I will shower in the cockpit or at a transient marina showers. When I said to check if the drain from the fridge was plugged I meant to include if the discharge line was obstructed in a any ways. Mechone mentions a ball valve and a foot pump; the French did design things a little differently. Trace the discharge line from the fridge and see what you find along the way.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hopefully you won't drain the "ice box" or refrig directly into the bilge -- or the shower drain for that matter.
I'd use a sump and pump it from there overboard. The bilge grows enough things without additional fuel; and, the refrigerator is better-off too.

Usually there is a trap in the drain from a fridge to limit the heat gain (a/k/a cold loss) from a direct air passage.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
have a shower sump to collect water and an electric pump to transfer it to the bilge
That may be so, but it's not a good idea.
There is usually a switch in the head
Sometimes. My 1984 C36 has a switch in the head, but the sump pump pumps overboard, not into the bilge. Many boats have an automatic sump pump, and the switch is at the electrical panel.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dennis,
I chartered a Beneteau 331 ('03-'04 vintage) several times. I believe there was a two position diverter valve in the head, under the lavatory. In one diverter valve position, a pump drained the shower sump; in the other diverter valve position, the pump drained the ice box. A toggle switch on the side of the lavatory cabinet activated the pump; there was a sump pump circuit breaker on the DC panel to activate the circuit. The icebox did not drain into the bilge. The system worked well with an Adler refrigeration unit. It was a versatile system allowing one to use the refrigeration unit dockside, and also allowed using ice while cruising. The pump system drained the ice box completely after the ice melted.
On my 343, there is no ice box. There is an isotherm upright refrigerator/freezer. I think that the 343's that went into the charter fleet had cold plate refrigeration units mounted in an ice box configuration; however, most of them that were slated for use stateside had the isotherm refrigerator / freezer combo.
PS: The diverter valve is hard to find; you really have to get your head into the lavatory cabinet to find it!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dennis,
The toggle switch is for the sump and ice box drain pump.
The momentary depressable button with the rubber sleeve is for the macerator pump.

Aug 15, 2017
WOW! No it seems as though I am receiving some really good advice. I will check these things out the next time I am on the boat. Thank you to everyone who took the time to point me towards the solution..... God bless you all.

Jul 17, 2011
Beneteau oceans 321 Saint John
Our 1997 B 321 frige drain goes to the bilge via an isolating valve located under the floor in front of the head

Aug 15, 2017
Hey everybody. SUCCESS. I couldn't have done it without all the helpful input. Simply stated, there is two valves on the same trunk that, when both are open the fridge doesn't drain. The reason being is that with both open, and no water to discharge from the non-fridge line, to much air in the line. I closed the one and left the other one, the fridge line, and it drained quickly.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dennis,
Sounds like you are on the correct track! If it's similar to the Ben 331, you should be able to pump the water from the bottom of the ice box & line and not rely on gravity feed. If you have a large bag of ice that melts in the box, all of that water has to go somewhere. Hopefully by adjusting the valves that you located and turning on the shower sump pump, you will be able to evacuate the ice box & drain line and pump it overboard.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Mechone, mine also - I just cannot figure out the proper positioning of the valves such that the thing drains. I also have a couple of switches on the face of the panel for the bathroom sink that seem to have something to do with removal of water but, again, I haven't figured it out as yet. One of the switches toggles, the other is a depressable button within a rubber sleeve.
On the 351 the push button on the bathroom sink is for the shower sump the switch is for the bathroom light.
You should have a toggle switch under the salon seat to manually turn the pump on,if not just lift the float switch to turn the pump on, put some water in the bilge and try the ball balve in both positions ,one will suck the bilge ,the other position will suck the fridge