Draining oil from a Yanmar Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Oday 28 Wichita KS
I need to change my oil and the engine doesn't have a drain plug. How do get the bad oil out?
Thank You in advance.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Two possiblities: 1/ put a clear plastic tube over a piece of rigid tubing that will fit down the dipstick hole and is long enough to reach the bottom of the oil pan [on my 2GM20F it is purely a "by feel" operation] and connect to a drill or hand motivated pump. 2/ Same set up but clip off the plastic line at an evalucation cannister and pump to create a vacuum in the cannister. Release the clip and it will suck the oil out of the pan and into the cannister. Throw the used oil overboard and blame BP, or be a wimp and recycle it properly.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
Get an oil drain pump.. cheap and easy. Hand operated is fine.. drill powered if you are lazy :)

Cheers,
Brad

Aug 19, 2004
Hunter 35 Vancouver, BC
Best Oil Removal Tube

..... put a clear plastic tube over a piece of rigid tubing that will fit down the dipstick hole and is long enough to reach the bottom of the oil pan
The largest possible rigid tube will work best. Buy some 5/16" external diameter brake line tube from an auto parts supplier. This tube will only just fit in the dip stick hole on a 3GMF. Whatever rigid tube you use, it needs to have a very slight bend or it will not find its way right down to the very bottom of the oil pan.

And yes you do need some sort of oil pump orvacuum extractor.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Transmission Fluid

I syphoned the oil out of my 2GM20F just like you did. For my transmission oil I didn't want to mix the oils so I used some old nasal oxygen tube and a 20cc syringe and sucked it out. Worked well for the transmission in a pinch because there is so little of it. Later I was talking to the people at Mack Boring and they said you can even use the engine oil in the transmission? I wouldn't try it but I guess it means you can use the same drill pump for both fluids. BTW do you know how much $$ you save by changing these fluids yourself?

Sep 29, 2007
-Gemini 3400 #379 -Gemini Palm Beach, Florida
Turn the boat upside down and shake her gently until every drop comes out.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I will second Paul F on using a n oil extractor. i don't use the one he links to, but I can attest they are great!

Push the extractor tube into the dipstick tube, pump the handle a few times, walk away. when you return the oil is out and in the extractor's tank.

It truly is that easy.

harv

May 24, 2005
-Hunter -310 Forked River NJ
It was my understanding that Yanmar recommended 30weight engine oil for the tranny.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Years ago Yanmar recommended engine oil in the transmission. They have since changed to transmission fluid as the lubricant. I have two manuals for my engine/transmission from Yanmar. The later one says to use transmission fluid. I am still using engine oil as first reommended but will change to transmission fluid with the next transmission fluid change. As we all know the important thing is to have some :)

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
- Remember to warm up the motor before changing the oil.
- Check your Yanmar manual for the correct motor oil and for the correct clutch unit (transmission) oil. Some clutch units use motor oil and some use automatic transmission fluid. Don't use the wrong oil !!!! Check with a Yanmar dealer if you are not sure.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Is what I'm using now

Here is a method that is inexpensive and much less labor intensive, that I am using now. I took a small one gallon garden sprayer. About 10 or 12 bucks at any of the big box stores. Cut the nozzle off. I also removed the valve from mine. Take the end of a shop vac hose and build it up with some self vulcanizing tape to fit tightly into the neck of the sprayer. Now you just stick the nozzle end into the dip stick hole, put the shop vac pick up tube into the sprayer filler/pump hole, turn on the shopvac and go do something else for a little while. Be aware that with this method, or any listed above, you cannot get all the old oil out. Depending on the angle your engine is tilted back, you can leave as much as a quart in the pan. I am going to solve this little problem once and for all by removing the pan and installing a proper drain plug at the rear of the tank. May not be necessary, but the idea of leaving some of the old oil in there is a bother to me.

Oct 28, 2008
none none LA
Be aware that with this method, or any listed above, you cannot get all the old oil out. Depending on the angle your engine is tilted back, you can leave as much as a quart in the pan.
Well, I guess that explains why during the two oil changes I've done so far on my 2GM20F, after I add 2 quarts of new oil (a little less than the stated capacity), the level is well over the top mark on the dipstick, and I have to suck some of it out.

--Michael

Nov 14, 2006
Hunter 27 Lake Lanier, GA
I use an extractor I bought at Lowes that is made for lawn mowers.$29.00 I added a piece of copper ice maker tubing to get the bend correct.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
We have a 2GM20F with a KM2C transmission and the boat was delivered with transmission fluid and the dealer repeatedly stated it was the correct fluid even though we had to periodically add small amounts to maintain the recommended level. We switched to 30W motor oil and have not had to add fluid in the last five years. A transmission is the ideal place to use a sinthetic oil as they are more resistant to temperature breakdown an the oil keeps relatively clean and will last much longer between changes.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Randy, On my Yanmar I use a piece of rubber hose that fits OVER the dip stick tube, then I suck the oil out that way with my pump. FWIW, I always unscrew the oil filler cap before I suck he oil out.

Status
Not open for further replies.