Drain Hose Source for Cockpit, Anchor Well and Sink

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
I have read the importance of replacing the Cockpit Drain and probably the anchor drain on the Hunter 23. I have looked at the ones that I have on my boat and they seem to be an assembly of parts rather than a simple hose. Is there a preferred source and type of hose that fits?

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I'm not familiar with the Hunter 23, but most of all the drain hoses I have seen are just a generic thin walled flexible PVC hose available at most hardware stores. Get the type that is smooth on the inside, with any ribbing or wire wound reinforcement on the outside

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Can you take photos? Not sure what you mean by "assembly of parts". In both cases there is a hose from the scupper down to the thru hull. My boat has a white plastic ribbed hose for the anchor locker, which I assume is original but I don't really know. It is long enough that it loops down below the above water line thru hull and then back up, which I don't like. I do cover the boat so I should not have and have not had freezing/cracking issues. The access panel in the v berth is missing, so easy for me to look at it. Mine has what must be a non standard repair for the cockpit drain as it is rather robust black hose, probably radiator hose, with pounds of silicone glommed around the thru hull fitting. Don't like it, but since no leaks I have left it. Don't get a thin walled hose there, as if stowed equipment pierces it you have a big problem.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Here are some pictures of the cockpit drain and the anchor cubby drain. The cockpit drain line is a larger diameter tubing and both appear to have "cuffs" on them.
The cuffs and the hose look to me like short lengths of the same kind of hose used for pool vacuum equipment. In a pool setup the cuff can be just rotated off the hose like unthreading a nut. Although the open end is clamped the other isn’t. On a length of hose you have 4 potential joints that might leak. With a “solid” hose you would have only 2. Just saying.....

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The anchor locker looks similar to mine, except my hose is longer and droops down more. I have no idea if any of what I have is factory supplied.

The repair job on mine does not use that white hose. I have no idea how secure the hose piece is inside the cuffs. In any case, I would add a second hose clamp to each end of the cockpit drain hose, as you definitely don't want the hose slipping off the fitting.

Is that rust on the nuts visible inside the transom? That is where my swim platform is attached. I'd check that.

Nov 10, 2018
Hunter 22 Baltimore
I just did a similar repair... used sanitary hose, double clamped with non abrasive clamps. Fewer parts - less chance for leaks. So far so good. Check out my thread a page or two down...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'd use smooth bore hose with the shortest run possible. Less change of debris getting trapped and building up inside. Good clamping too. A boat in our club almost sank when the owner overloaded it with people to motor out to see the fireworks. The thru hull was pushed underwater and the boat backfilled thru a loose fitting.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Did I say clams. I goofed meaning clamps. FYI, when crabbing as a child, I sat down on a bucket of caught crabs and those pincers nailed my posterior end running down the pier with that crab hanging on to me.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Did I say clams. I goofed meaning clamps. FYI, when crabbing as a child, I sat down on a bucket of caught crabs and those pincers nailed my posterior end running down the pier with that crab hanging on to me.
Darn! I have to cancel my order now? :)
My sis-in-law came with us to Port Aransas years ago. A crab locked onto her toe in the shallows. She yelled and flung it off. Ever since, we tell friends in her presence that she got "crabs" in Texas.